Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 05:39 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,362,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suns34 View Post
Allen is a wonderful family oriented community. We live in Fairview which is just east of Allen. Very nice area, good schools, large lots, etc... Commute would be 30 mins or so. My husband already does it and says
its a breeze.

We personally never go into Dallas (city) we have no need to. Too much
crime and traffic down that ways. The few times I have gone there its always dirty and seems like quite a bit of crime going on.

We love living in the suburbs and couldn't be happier!
I feel sorry for you; you are missing out on a lot. There is more to life than hitting the outlet mall on Stacy Road on a Saturday. By refusing to go to Dallas you are missing the State Fair, you are missing the symphony, opera, professional sports, concerts, art museums, fantastic restaurants, I could go on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 05:46 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,945,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I feel sorry for you; you are missing out on a lot. There is more to life than hitting the outlet mall on Stacy Road on a Saturday. By refusing to go to Dallas you are missing the State Fair, you are missing the symphony, opera, professional sports, concerts, art museums, fantastic restaurants, I could go on and on.
I was thinking the same thing. I'd hate to know I was oh so close yet never took advantage of some of the things that Dallas has to offer. Then again, do I really want all of the far flung suburbanites crowding into my favorite spots IN Dallas and then them going on and on about how "dirty" Dallas is and how the crime is so bad. Like crime never happens in the burbs . Dallas isn't any "dirtier" than any other large city of the same size and from some of the cities I've seen it is actually cleaner. The crime rate is also not THAT BAD. It is NOT any worse than any other city of the same size either. People are not getting mugged and assualted left and right when they venture into Dallas. Do something like don't pay attention to your surroundings in the burbs and your just as likely to be a victim of crime as someone IN the city. WAIT! My sis had her car window smashed in up at the outlet mall in Allen last year and some stuff stolen out of her car. Yep, crime happens there too. Yet they still believe these things about the big, bad city.............. Like I said, it is almost just better to let them live their lives and then in the end maybe realize they missed out on seeing and doing some great things. Besides, I don't want to wait any longer than I already do at some of my favorite dining places IN Dallas

Old 09-16-2009, 06:05 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,759,789 times
People use this attribute "family friendly neighborhood" all the time for Allen, Frisco, Plano...

What does this actually mean? What makes those areas more family friendly than DeSoto, Duncanville, Dallas?

What is a family friendly neighborhood? I used to live in the Firewheel area, which is also considered family friendly. Now I live in Dallas (Lake Highlands). I don't really notice a difference, family wise.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:11 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,528,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
People use this attribute "family friendly neighborhood" all the time for Allen, Frisco, Plano...

What does this actually mean? What makes those areas more family friendly than DeSoto, Duncanville, Dallas?

What is a family friendly neighborhood? I used to live in the Firewheel area, which is also considered family friendly. Now I live in Dallas (Lake Highlands). I don't really notice a difference, family wise.
This is just my take on it, and keep in mind that "family friendly" irks me to no end! To me it really means kid-centric, and sometimes not in a good way. I am a mother, but it bugs me when EVERYTHING is presented as a three ring circus in order to keep kids happy. Example, a meal I had at Cheesecake Factory in Frisco, kids were yelling, walking around the restaurant (I don't know how they didn't get squished by the hardworking staff) and playing, and this seemed not only to be allowed but encouraged by some. We taught our child to sit at restaurants. If she acted up in those early years, as most will do, she was removed by one of us. I was appalled by what I saw at that night! I'm not making any generalizations about Frisco or Frisco parents, but when I hear "family friendly" my mind always goes back to that evening.
So I guess those areas are more "geared" towards kids, but IMO (please don't flame me!), it's not doing the kids any favors by making them think that every aspect of life should involve a carnival like atmosphere.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
This is just my take on it, and keep in mind that "family friendly" irks me to no end! To me it really means kid-centric, and sometimes not in a good way. I am a mother, but it bugs me when EVERYTHING is presented as a three ring circus in order to keep kids happy. Example, a meal I had at Cheesecake Factory in Frisco, kids were yelling, walking around the restaurant (I don't know how they didn't get squished by the hardworking staff) and playing, and this seemed not only to be allowed but encouraged by some. We taught our child to sit at restaurants. If she acted up in those early years, as most will do, she was removed by one of us. I was appalled by what I saw at that night! I'm not making any generalizations about Frisco or Frisco parents, but when I hear "family friendly" my mind always goes back to that evening.
So I guess those areas are more "geared" towards kids, but IMO (please don't flame me!), it's not doing the kids any favors by making them think that every aspect of life should involve a carnival like atmosphere.
Exactly; to me "family friendly" is code for "full of kids" and I know to stay away.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:03 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,278,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post

Addison would not be considered "family friendly" in my book. It's mostly habited by empty nesters, professionals young or older. You wouldn't find a Chucky Cheeze up there, closest one is by Valley View.

Frisco and Plano tend to have so many things for kids such as the Wiggles Place, CEC, water parks etc. lots of local festivals, lots of park with playgrounds etc. Heck, there is even a website just for the calendar of events for kids activities. Frisco Kids Events

Naima

Old 09-16-2009, 10:13 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,759,789 times
So is family friendly mostly about small children?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:14 AM

22 posts, read 100,775 times
Well Im sorry that you all think were missing out, but were not. Were very happy and content. Im also glad we dont take up space at your favorite restaurants in N Dallas either. When I say "family friendly" Im referring to the actual area, does it have a lot of kids, parks, or is it more geared toward empty nesters or seniors. My goodness chill out people!

Actually I have been to Dallas when we first moved here and it was very, very disappointing. When we went to see the JFK Memorial (and took out of town relatives here), we were all shocked at the horrible upkeep in the area. The grass was full of weeds, the monument is in a sad shape, homeless people lounging around. We ate a several local restaurants in the are and had terrible service. Its just not worth the drive down there.
We were thinking of going to the fair this year, but after hearing about the "parking scam" last year, forget it!! And by watching the local Dallas news, that is where I get all the daily crime news.

I have lived near many, many major cities and gone to all kinds of sports events, concerts, dining and shopping...and yes there is crime everywhere, we just dont find Dallas very interesting compared to other cities.

And we do get around to various lakes, Roughrider games, parks, etc...

p.s. All the traffic that comes up to the outlet mall is all coming from I-75
North on weekends!! So, they must be coming from the Dallas area...
us locals no better than to go to the outlets on a weekend!!

Old 09-17-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suns34 View Post
Well Im sorry that you all think were missing out, but were not. Were very happy and content. Im also glad we dont take up space at your favorite restaurants in N Dallas either. When I say "family friendly" Im referring to the actual area, does it have a lot of kids, parks, or is it more geared toward empty nesters or seniors. My goodness chill out people!

Actually I have been to Dallas when we first moved here and it was very, very disappointing. When we went to see the JFK Memorial (and took out of town relatives here), we were all shocked at the horrible upkeep in the area. The grass was full of weeds, the monument is in a sad shape, homeless people lounging around. We ate a several local restaurants in the are and had terrible service. Its just not worth the drive down there.
We were thinking of going to the fair this year, but after hearing about the "parking scam" last year, forget it!! And by watching the local Dallas news, that is where I get all the daily crime news.

I have lived near many, many major cities and gone to all kinds of sports events, concerts, dining and shopping...and yes there is crime everywhere, we just dont find Dallas very interesting compared to other cities.

And we do get around to various lakes, Roughrider games, parks, etc...

p.s. All the traffic that comes up to the outlet mall is all coming from I-75
North on weekends!! So, they must be coming from the Dallas area...
us locals no better than to go to the outlets on a weekend!!
It's your life, but you really are missing out due to misplaced paranoia about crime in Dallas. It is not that bad. I have never had any problems at all.

As for the outlet mall in Allen, I would wager a good deal of the traffic is coming south on 75 given the number of Oklahoma plates I saw when I went there.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:58 PM

102 posts, read 333,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needsomeinfo View Post
we lived in w. plano for years. I would move back in a heartbeat. we loved it.
Ditto... I never realized how much I would miss it until I no longer had it.

To the OP, I worked and lived in West Plano and it was awesome, I went home for lunch every single day. No traffic, etc. to stop me. Also lots of medical facilities for doctor appts, no need to take leave to go to the doc or dentist. Also my company had a gym, I could go home, relax a bit then go back to the company gym to work out after all the gym crowds had left for the day. Its the little things we don't appreciate until they are gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas