Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 06:55 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,496,855 times

Advertisements

Live U.S. Temperature Map
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 07:19 AM

574 posts, read 1,483,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Today I spent 3 hours practicing in the direct sun at a golf practice facility and I didn't think much about the heat. There were quiet a few people at the facility practicing for a Monday, and the early afternoon temps didn't seem to bother them either. I saw young, middle-aged and older folks, both male and female.

I have to say in the short time I've lived here that this is true: a lot of people don't seem to care much about the heat. Here in University Park I still see tons of people riding their bikes (and not just kids) at all times of the day; jogging/running/power walking in the late afternoon heat; walking around Snider Plaza and Preston Center, not just going in and out of a store. Guess you get used to it.

I need it to be cold at night so we lower the thermostat to 74 just before bedtime. Remains at 78 during the day, and if we feel warm from unpacking moving boxes we turn on the ceiling fans.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:23 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,485,483 times
I ran in a 5k mud run this past Sunday Morning at Cedar Hill State Park. It was HOT! 3.1 miles of running through mud and over obstacles was tough. At the end of the course we had to go into the lake so that cooled us off. But while I was running I was thinking how freaking hot it was.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
I have to say in the short time I've lived here that this is true: a lot of people don't seem to care much about the heat. Here in University Park I still see tons of people riding their bikes (and not just kids) at all times of the day; jogging/running/power walking in the late afternoon heat; walking around Snider Plaza and Preston Center, not just going in and out of a store. Guess you get used to it.

I need it to be cold at night so we lower the thermostat to 74 just before bedtime. Remains at 78 during the day, and if we feel warm from unpacking moving boxes we turn on the ceiling fans.
I live rather close to a maga church that has numerous sports fields. Late yesterday afternoon when the temperature was at its peak every field was being used by kids from under age 10 to teenagers as they competed against other teams. There were hundreds of parents in attendance as spectators. I only saw a few umbrellas to shield the sun. The air temperature was close to 100 at the time, and in the direct sun I'm sure it was well over 100. Healthy people most definitely get used to it.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:53 AM

827 posts, read 1,678,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
How can it be only $16 though? I would think a fridge alone would cost more to run in a month than $16.
Beats me. I don't ask, I just enjoy.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:07 AM

1,781 posts, read 4,042,966 times
I'll take the heat over the winter any day. 30F outside means I have to take the time to put on extra clothes every time I go out. April and May were the best though!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
I'll take the heat over the winter any day. 30F outside means I have to take the time to put on extra clothes every time I go out. April and May were the best though!
The only thing I don't like about April and May is the likelihood of high winds. It makes controlling your golf ball more difficult...

Old 06-07-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkispoison View Post
Hate the damn summers here. Chicago cannot come any quicker!
It's close to 100 degrees in Chicago today with higher humidity than we have here. It's that time of year when it's warm most everywhere. It's called late spring and summer...

Old 06-07-2011, 02:49 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,713,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
It's close to 100 degrees in Chicago today with higher humidity than we have here. It's that time of year when it's warm most everywhere. It's called late spring and summer...
And then it's gonna be down in the 70's by Thursday...what's our Thursday temp?

Old 06-07-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
And then it's gonna be down in the 70's by Thursday...what's our Thursday temp?
The forecast here for Thursday is 70 for the low and 89 for the high with up to 14 mph winds and 30% humidity.

Chicago has a nasty mix of summer heat and humidity. An average of 384 people die from heat every year in Chicago. What's our annual heat-related death number?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas