Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:34 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macintosh Sauce View Post
$40? OUCH! That is ridiculous!
$40 is the cheap, walk a mile to the stadium parking. Park closer and the price goes up to $70. The prices are insane! I used to go to a game a year for fun in Irving. Jerry has ensured I will never go to another Cowboys game.

Instead, I'll put that same money into going to an extra hockey game each year. I can take DART to downtown, have plenty of options for dinner before the game for less money than driving to Arlington and parking. Not to mention an hour less commuting time. It's really a no-brainer to me. Ditch the Cowboys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 07:50 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,713 times
They should have put the stadium where the cotton bowl is.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:59 AM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
They should have put the stadium where the cotton bowl is.
Yes they should have but the city government drug their feet while Arlington was ready to make a great offer. I was not much for the stadium but it would have done wonders for that surrounding neighborhoods. Any money put into the Cotton Bowl from that point on was wasted.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:33 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
I'm not happy that it's in Arlington but it would have overwhelmed Fair Park, especially if it had been built on the site of the Cotton Bowl - therefore messing up a national historic landmark. I was for it being built just to the north of Fair Park along I-30 but that would have caused cries from the Jubilee Park neighborhood - if you know your Dallas history there was a long uproar from the eminent domain used to create Starplex and the parking lots which preceeded it.

Instead a lot of money is being poured into Jubilee - see Jubilee Center

Another site was near Southside/Cedars (old Sears Warehouse/Gilley's etc) overlooking the Trinity. That might have been better - but let's also remember that the county was to blame on this. Also many doubt Jerry was ever serious about building it in Dallas County and we were 'used' for negotiations.

I think that as time goes by the Cotton Bowl will become more rare and appreciated for what it is - an open-air historic stadium, one of the most important in the history of the game. Our Coliseum if you will...

Old 06-09-2009, 02:57 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I'm not happy that it's in Arlington but it would have overwhelmed Fair Park, especially if it had been built on the site of the Cotton Bowl - therefore messing up a national historic landmark. I was for it being built just to the north of Fair Park along I-30 but that would have caused cries from the Jubilee Park neighborhood - if you know your Dallas history there was a long uproar from the eminent domain used to create Starplex and the parking lots which preceeded it.

Instead a lot of money is being poured into Jubilee - see Jubilee Center

Another site was near Southside/Cedars (old Sears Warehouse/Gilley's etc) overlooking the Trinity. That might have been better - but let's also remember that the county was to blame on this. Also many doubt Jerry was ever serious about building it in Dallas County and we were 'used' for negotiations.

I think that as time goes by the Cotton Bowl will become more rare and appreciated for what it is - an open-air historic stadium, one of the most important in the history of the game. Our Coliseum if you will...
Now that the new stadium is built no one is goign to want to do anything in the cotton bowl anyway. Its going to get worse and worse as time goes on. If you were in charge of a big event woudl you rather have it t a brand new state of the art stadium or at a run down old "historic" stadium? If you were intrested in making more money you'd pick the new place. I think the actual cotton bowl isnt even going to be played in the cotton bowl anymore in a couple years.

The cotton bowl will eventually meet the same fate as the orange bowl. And the Citrus Bowl in Orlando is not to far behind. (When I played college ball for UCF we played in the Citrus Bowl) Now UCF has its own brand new stadium on campus.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:03 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
The Cotton Bowl is not run-down, it has just had $60 million in improvements.

Sorry I do not subcribe to the newer-is-always-better way of thinking - and those other places do not have the world's largest state fair or a national historic district of world importance surrounding them.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:33 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Lakewooder I would love to see the Cotton Bowl thrive but I don't think it is going to happen. I saw my first Cowboy game at the Cotton Bowl. I saw my first SMU game at the Cotton Bowl. The largest crowd I ever played in front of was the Cotton Bowl. As much as I love the place I know deep in my heart it is not going to survive.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:38 PM

146 posts, read 508,963 times
I've actually never been in the cotton bowl but I've been by it & it looks cool.

As for Arlington. It would be logical to build a Dart rail. Think about all that traffic on I-30 & 360 & I agree the team is the Dallas Cowboys. Not the Metroplex Cowboys or the Texas Cowboys, so the team should be IN Dallas. On the other hand Arlington is kind of central to the metroplex, so I guess they built the stadium there to let the whole metroplex enjoy the cowboys & to keep Fort Worth from having a NFL team LOL not really.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:08 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,609,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorac View Post
I've actually never been in the cotton bowl but I've been by it & it looks cool.

As for Arlington. It would be logical to build a Dart rail. Think about all that traffic on I-30 & 360 & I agree the team is the Dallas Cowboys. Not the Metroplex Cowboys or the Texas Cowboys, so the team should be IN Dallas. On the other hand Arlington is kind of central to the metroplex, so I guess they built the stadium there to let the whole metroplex enjoy the cowboys & to keep Fort Worth from having a NFL team LOL not really.
This is true but again Arlington has a very narrow vision for the city so...

Old 06-10-2009, 08:22 PM

424 posts, read 1,817,373 times
Heard today that all the parking lots around the new stadium will have to get permits to ensure they are up to "parking standards"...my interpretation is:

The city makes money from the permit
The city makes money from the parking lots (maybe)
The stadium makes money from the parking lots
The businesses may have to put a cap on the amount they charge so they cannot make as much money as they wish (this may be good for fans so you only have to pay 40.00 versus 50.00)

...or businesses may be forced to charge a minimum so your lots don't fill up before the stadium lots! Lowest bidder gets their lot filled first). Just a conspiracy theory!

Why didn't Texans say, "no" to this stupid place? The benefit to the stadium is a lot of crime will be invited! By the time you pay parking, you have no money to eat or sit in a decent seat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas