Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:24 PM

617 posts, read 1,041,498 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Another person relocating...

I've looked at a number of older threads and wanted to make sure I'm not missing too much. Thanks to all who have already shared such useful information.

I'm looking for a neighborhood with character, maybe even 'coolness,' with shady trees and (maybe) older buildings, cafes and restaurants (possibly even 'funky' ones), some degree of walkability and street life. I'm thinking of a place like Hayes Valley or lower Haight in San Francisco, or Los Feliz or Silver Lake in Los Angeles. Or even like Williamsburg or Park Slope in NYC (culturally, not architecturally).

I saw that posters here had mentioned North Oak Lawn, which if I'm correct is bordered by Lemmon on the southwest, Oak Lawn Avenue on the east, and Hawthorne on the north. I saw that folks had mentioned Hawthorne, Prescott, Herschel, Douglas and Throckmorton streets, in particular.

Am I looking in the right place - have I missed anything? Checking on craigslist, it seems like studios/efficiencies can go for as low as $600 and there are one-bedrooms for under $1000.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts! [EDITED: I'm commuting to Arlington, so looking on the west side as opposed to east side of the city.]

Last edited by Walter Benjamin; 03-25-2009 at 09:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 10:12 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,032 times
North Oak Lawn works. You might also like Knox-Henderson which is about 2 miles north of downtown. It's all the same street, but it changes names depending on which side of I-75 you are on. Knox is west and Henderson is east. It's only about 1 mile away from N. Oak Lawn, so the fact that it is on the east side of I-75 won't have much effect on your commute to Arlington.

You might also like the Bishop Arts District in Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts District :: Home. There are really cool apartments there priced below $1000: Good Space- Bishop Arts District Dallas Living Working. It's just below I-30 on the SW side of downtown Dallas. You could cut 15 minutes off of your commute time there because you would already be on the correct side of downtown to get to Arlington.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:15 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,254 times
I live in North Oak Cliff (not far from the Bishop Arts District) and can vouch for the ease to get to Arlington along I-30. You're going against traffic so you're good.

However, Oak Cliff has less of the development that you might want -- restaurants, bars, etc. It's really just starting to happen here. There's more of that in Oak Lawn and Knox-Henderson. You should come and check the three areas out and see which one fits you.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:49 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
North Oak Lawn works. You might also like Knox-Henderson which is about 2 miles north of downtown. It's all the same street, but it changes names depending on which side of I-75 you are on. Knox is west and Henderson is east. It's only about 1 mile away from N. Oak Lawn, so the fact that it is on the east side of I-75 won't have much effect on your commute to Arlington.

You might also like the Bishop Arts District in Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts District :: Home. There are really cool apartments there priced below $1000: Good Space- Bishop Arts District Dallas Living Working. It's just below I-30 on the SW side of downtown Dallas. You could cut 15 minutes off of your commute time there because you would already be on the correct side of downtown to get to Arlington.
Nice. Those apartments are excellent!

Old 03-26-2009, 08:14 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,479,589 times
Bishop Arts area is much more what you are loking for in terms of that indie, laidback vibe.

The area of North Oak Lawn is nice, but caters more to the Park Cities crowd with La Duni, Talbots and Equinox gym. It's more about fakery.

Good Space is a great suggestion!

When we go out, we tend to find ourselves around Bishop Arts...Tillman's, Hunky's, Kavala, and Belmont Hotel a short drive away (where they have game night on Tues and outdoor concerts in summer).

Old 03-26-2009, 08:41 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,229,745 times
North Oak Lawn is a great neighborhood with older homes, condos, townhomes, duplexes, multi-plexes and nearby businesses. I'm not familiar with SanFran so couldn't make your comparison. Oak Lawn is walkable. I've walked my dog there any time of day, early, mid, eve, night, wee hours of the a.m. with no problems. I think I may be the reference to the local streets in your OP.

The single home lots are older and mix from frame to brick. Condos may be thirty or more years old or some new within the last five years. Same with town homes. On the Hawthorne/Prescott/Herschel are the duplexes and multi's. Many of the duplexes are top/bottom (maybe a SanFran comparison there) usually 2 bedroom and wood floors. Rents may be high. The multi's are also old, some maintained very well. Rents will run according to quality. I rented a one bedroom on Prescott for $675. The place had no upgrades but the neighborhood was exceptional. Prior to that I owned a condo in the area for 5 years. Prior to that I lived in an apartment just across Lemmon for an additional 5 years. So I tend to be familiar with the area.

No where did I meet any resident of North Oak Lawn that 'catered' to any Park cities. On the northwest edge of the area is Lomo Alto and WholeFoods. The shops on that street are Park cities oriented but WholeFoods will take anybody's money. Many of their employees are residents of the Oak Lawn area itself. On the east of Oak Lawn is Oak Lawn Ave/Preston Rd. North of Lemmon the shops tend to be Park Cities oriented, south, they'll take anybody's money.

The 675 apartment I also found on Craigslist and yes, along Hawthorne I saw apartments for $500 (while walking the dog).

If I can answer other questions for you feel free to PM me and I'll help where I can.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:13 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
How funky do you want?

Jack's Backyard is the newest funky place in town (N. Oak Cliff/Ft. Worth Avenue by the Belmont):

FrontBurner » Blog Archive » What Not to Wear Hits Local Gal at Jack’s Backyard

Old 03-26-2009, 03:17 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,479,589 times
I wonder is the OP actually meant to say/post North Oak Cliff - it can be confusing for someone out of town.

Willy - guess I was referring to the area on the most northern part of Oaklawn Ave where that last strip is called Shops at Highland Park...and all just about all the shops from there south to Lemmon.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:36 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,254 times
Overall, Oak Lawn is a mix. Yes, there are those mostly upscale shops in the La Duni complex near Highland Park but you've also got all the restaurants/bars/shops along Cedar Springs -- which will soon be the home of the large Ilume mixed-use complex (Ilume In Cedar Springs on the Strip) -- the shops/fast-food restaurants/stores along Lemmon (including Whole Foods and the 24-hour Buzzbrews Cafe) as well as everything along Oak Lawn from Eatzi's down to Cosmic Cafe and Zaguan. Then nearby you've got Lee Park and Turtle Creek. It's this mix which makes Oak Lawn so pleasantly dense, a density that North Oak Cliff (as much as I love it) hasn't yet matched.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:01 PM

12 posts, read 36,668 times
Try looking at the neighborhoods around Greenville Ave. (Lower Greenville/between Mockingbird and Ross). You'll find the M streets and Vickery Place. Great little area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas