Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 04:34 AM

1 posts, read 12,015 times

Advertisements

I am searching for a two bedroom two bathroom apartment in the North Dallas area but since I have a felony on my record, it's very difficult to find a quality living enviroment for my child to live and not have to worry about living in crime infested areas. Due to a very misfortunate situation I am suffering the consequences because I trusted someone I thought was a friend. I just want to move on with my life and not be branded and constantly punished for an unfortunate situation . Anyone have a suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 05:18 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,864,734 times
As long as you're not a sex offender, I didn't think apartments actually run background checks on tennants? I've only had credit reports run, and those don't show criminal convictions!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:40 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGB1 View Post
I am searching for a two bedroom two bathroom apartment in the North Dallas area but since I have a felony on my record, it's very difficult to find a quality living enviroment for my child to live and not have to worry about living in crime infested areas. Due to a very misfortunate situation I am suffering the consequences because I trusted someone I thought was a friend. I just want to move on with my life and not be branded and constantly punished for an unfortunate situation . Anyone have a suggestions?

Is there some type of counseling services offered that have relationships with apartment owners who would be willing to give you a chance? Are you a part of a church community perhaps that can help? It sounds like you are in a tough situation, but at the same time it's going to be understandably tough to convince potential landlords that as a felon with bad credit you are not going to be a risk for them. Good luck, I hope it works out for you and your child.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:51 PM

82 posts, read 269,839 times
Default Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGB1 View Post

Well, every apt I have ever rented (7 units?) gave me a background check. They will not rent if you have a felony - what about having a roommate? There may be people that have room to rent that will not check everything... you could check postings...

Old 06-04-2008, 03:08 PM

308 posts, read 1,232,165 times
You should search for townhomes and condos owned by individuals. They will still run a search, but at least you can explain to someone in person and not to a big corporate apartment.

The best policy is to be honest and explain yourself. Unless it is a very bad crime, you will probably be ok. If it was a very bad crime, then you deserve what you get.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:10 PM

172 posts, read 509,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
As long as you're not a sex offender, I didn't think apartments actually run background checks on tennants? I've only had credit reports run, and those don't show criminal convictions!
Not true. I used to work for a company that created systems for Apartment Communitities. One of the system we worked on was a credit check system and a criminal background system. The outcome of both these are what go into the qualification process. I must say though, what they are mainly looking for in your credit, are collection accounts resulting from non payment.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:40 PM

670 posts, read 2,998,644 times
My girlfriend recently rented (09/2007) and ALL the places she looked at ran criminal, as well as, credit checks. Now we are renting, but from a private owner who didn't run a check at all (he's also our realtor for the last 2 houses we purchased and we've known him for about 5-10 years so I think he just decided not to--he typically does).

Old 06-04-2008, 04:53 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,238,877 times
Most complexes, even one run by smaller agencies do background and credit checks. Most nicer, safe complexes do no rent to felons. Most places will look over bad credit unless you've been evicted for failure to pay rent.

How long ago was your conviction?

Old 06-04-2008, 07:44 PM

983 posts, read 4,441,569 times
The company I worked for definitely weeded out those with FELONIES! We didn't have to run a background check because the question was on the application and when they checked yes that was the end of the process. Now a little secret for you. We had a scoring system that was used and as long as you scored a certain amount for employment, rental history and income you were in even if it meant a higher deposit. The secret is we didn't actually get criminal history info back so we were hoping for the honor system during the app process. Sometimes a couple of sex offenders slipped thru the cracks but soon as someone found out they were evicted on the premise of lying on the application about having a felony conviction.

Another option is to use a apt locator service and tell them the truth. They know which apts you can still get into.

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:11 PM

50 posts, read 207,078 times
Some apartments can be very strict, I was arrested for what originally was a Class A Misdemeanor and then reduced to a Class C (basically a speeding ticket) and I still was turned down. They looked at the arrest not the diposition. I got 3 more years of that on there and I am going to request it be expunged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas