Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2011, 09:43 PM

8 posts, read 19,089 times

Advertisements

I might be moving into the Grapevine Lake area soon (first time in Texas--job transfer) and will be working in Colleyville. I've been researching the area and have learned about all the new highway construction--seems like it is a nightmare driving on the 26, 114 and the 121.

I have worked in SoCal and dread the thought of having to battle traffic again. Anyone have any insights to the commute from Grapevine Mills Mall area into Colleyville. Are there any routes I could take avoiding the 114/121 that'll take me into Colleyville? I was hoping to live close to Grapevine Lake.

I'd like to keep my drive times into Colleyville under 15 minutes. If that isn't possible I will look for other places to rent that are closer. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 07:51 AM

11,864 posts, read 26,907,147 times
Don't get on the highway! Seriously! Use the city streets for your commute and you will be fine. From Grapevine, take 26 south and that will take you right to Colleyville. It's also known as "Ira E. Woods", "Grapevine Highway" and "Colleyville Blvd" depending on which town you're in. There is some construction alogn 26 where it goes under 114, but it's not bad.

The area out near Lake Grapevine has some gorgeous homes, and the parks surroundign the Lake are really nice.

P.S.: In Texas, highways do not have "the" before the number. That's a sure way to brand yourself as an outsider...

Old 10-23-2011, 08:55 AM

8 posts, read 19,089 times
Thanks for the input about 26 and 114! That sure helps. Generally, would that amount to a 15-20 minute drive?

Old 10-23-2011, 09:42 AM

11,864 posts, read 26,907,147 times
Yes, it should be 15-20 minutes at the most. Be careful of the school zones!

Old 10-23-2011, 09:52 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
Hwy 26 is NOT that big a problem--

the two main points where I have seen backups are around the 114 overpass/intersection by the Target strip mall due to construction and converging traffic patterns--
there is also the Sam's/WalMart lane just south of there which gets traffic and people turning into Baylor Medical and going to 1709--

it was a busy intersection before construction caused problems and it will be a busy intersection after the construction I imagine...

in morning traffic there can be stop/go coming mainly from the Colleyville side going north--have used it going to DFW several times so coming from Grapevine Mills area I don't think you would see quite as much traffic...

Also backup at the Pool Rd light by the donut shop because that goes north into Southlake and south in to Bedford and feeds a GCISD middle school just south of there

The light at Mustang Dr can be slow depending on school hours
there is one school zone farther south but it is in Colleyville itself

Google Tinseltown Grapevine TX and find the new road that comes off Mustang Dr at the south parking lot of Tinseltown Theater--think it is Stone Myers Parkway--that goes south
You can take 26 to Texan Trail--go south (I think that is still open over the construction on 114) to Mustang Dr--
Go west on Mustang to Stone Myers--go south to Hall Johnson using the longer way that goes under 360 to Hall Johnson and take that WEST to Colleyville proper
at least one school zone crossing Pool I think and speeds are 40 to 30 depending on the road but it is alternate route...

Another route is to come from Grapevine Mills--and get on 114 then 121 and get off on Glade or Hall Johnson depending what part of Colleyville you want and go west--
Google Maps says that is 22 min to Colleyville--
not correct because of construction and traffic but no lights
just the horrible conditions construction has brought to those freeways--
I hate that part of the freeways and never use it if I can go another route--even if it would be longer

You can even use 26--go straight through Grapevine into Southlake (across 114 and through the shopping center there) to get to Southlake Blvd and go west to White Chappel and south there--White Chappel turns into Pleasant Run, crosses Lockett Rd, and runs into Hwy 26 in Colleyville
pretty twisty and only 30 mph with stop signs...backup plan

Old 10-23-2011, 08:05 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,436,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I don't have an address for the Old East Dallas Early Childhood PTA (Lipscomb)
Old East Dallas Early Childhood PTA (http://oldeastdallasearlychildhoodpta.org/default.html - broken link) Contact info is there.

Great people. We moved here not long before my son was K ready, and through this group he had a bunch of friends by the time school started, as did my wife and I. The kids are all still close, as are the parents. I was not a fan of Dallas till I wound up here. I now say the only way I will be moving out of Junius Heights is when it is feet first in a box.

The current president lives two doors down from us, and is a lovely lady.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:17 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,563,912 times
Did that commute yesterday. What they said ^^^. Not bad at all!

Old 10-24-2011, 02:55 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times
were you going Grapevine Mills to Colleyville?
or vice versa?
and what was your time?
I don't think it can be done in 15 min--
more like 20-25...

Old 10-25-2011, 07:58 AM

663 posts, read 1,725,852 times
Another important question is where you're headed to in Colleyville. That strip of Hwy 26 that most people think of as Colleyville is where most businesses are located and I'm pretty sure everyone's estimates so far are to that area (20 minutes or so). But there's also that strip over by Heritage High School with all of the doctor's offices, Albertson's, etc. 15 minutes is very doable from Grapevine Mills to there even with construction traffic. Colleyville also stretches over to Precint Line. A commute there will take at least 30 minutes.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:54 AM

49 posts, read 159,370 times
Default Commute from Coppell to Keller

Hello All;
Can someone provide me with a realistic estimate on commute times from Coppell (121/ MacArthur) to Keller? The commute times will be 7:30 in morning to Keller and about 4:00 pm for the travel back to Coppell.
I am concerned with the construction on 114/121 by the airport.

Thanks,
Amit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas