Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 03:55 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,694,381 times

Advertisements

So it looks like I am working full time at Texas Health Flower Mound (15 shifts a month) and part time at Baylor McKinney (2-3 extra shifts month).

I was reading the numerous threads regarding the Park Cities over the past few days and have a few questions.

I understand they have great schools - and there have been mention of the robust-ness of resale value and appreciation of real estate in the Park Cities.

Questions:

1. What would you say is the "projected" conservative appreciation of house values in University Park over 10, 20, 30 years? Compare that to a house in Flower Mound, Colleyville, Southlake, Keller. I know this is purely speculation and no one has a crystal ball - but use historical figures and educated guesstimates to help me out.

2. Provided all the pluses of living in UP - what would you say is a limit for work commute? Going to TH Flower Mound appears to be 30 miles and it's the same for Baylor McKinney. McKinney is a straight shot on 75 and google says it's about 30 minutes if the road is clear. Flower Mound is approx 45 minutes on a clear day it says.

3. Lastly, how would living in Preston Hollow be compared to living in UP? Is there a really big difference in school quality, taxes, etc? The homes are significantly cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 05:07 PM

333 posts, read 1,025,527 times
At 6-6:30 am Preston is not that bad. The traffic lights move faster on Preston than some of the other roads.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:41 PM

702 posts, read 2,738,622 times
Move closer to work or start looking for a new job.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:32 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,598,539 times
Preston to 380 to 423 to 121 to Denton Tap to Beltline, etc...or Prestion to 635.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:34 PM

The thing you got to about is not just time, but the amount of wear and tear your car goes through w/ stop and go traffic. Maintenance will be worse and your gas usage will be more.

In the end, even though you pay 200$ a month to go through the tollway, you're probably only going to save $100 by going through Preston but also have to spend much more time on the road (in addition).

Old 12-15-2011, 07:23 PM

37,459 posts, read 60,339,022 times
what made you move out there when you are working at DFW?
surely you considered the tolls you might have to pay for that commute before you moved?

Old 12-15-2011, 08:00 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,414,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
So it looks like I am working full time at Texas Health Flower Mound (15 shifts a month) and part time at Baylor McKinney (2-3 extra shifts month).

I was reading the numerous threads regarding the Park Cities over the past few days and have a few questions.

I understand they have great schools - and there have been mention of the robust-ness of resale value and appreciation of real estate in the Park Cities.

Questions:

1. What would you say is the "projected" conservative appreciation of house values in University Park over 10, 20, 30 years? Compare that to a house in Flower Mound, Colleyville, Southlake, Keller. I know this is purely speculation and no one has a crystal ball - but use historical figures and educated guesstimates to help me out.

2. Provided all the pluses of living in UP - what would you say is a limit for work commute? Going to TH Flower Mound appears to be 30 miles and it's the same for Baylor McKinney. McKinney is a straight shot on 75 and google says it's about 30 minutes if the road is clear. Flower Mound is approx 45 minutes on a clear day it says.

3. Lastly, how would living in Preston Hollow be compared to living in UP? Is there a really big difference in school quality, taxes, etc? The homes are significantly cheaper.
3: Preston Hollow has bigger lots. A bit closed off feeling. Kids generally go to different private schools. You need to pay for these private schools. Less of a community feel, more of a collection of fiefdoms. PH is either people that wanted a bigger lot and saved money by living in PH or people that simply don't have to worry about money.

2: I commute 25 miles a day. But I wouldn't want to live near Grapevine. I like being in the city when I'm home. It's a reverse commute so traffic's not horrible. Get a good car, like a c-class Mercedes, to make the commute easier. But the drive time tolerance is up to you.

1: There's appreciation and holding value these days. I'd go for holding value as the low hanging fruit. UP/HP has a long history of holding value and appreciating. The area is built out, so there won't be a new Toll Brothers complex being built soon. School systems are sort of comparable. Others can add on to that. Taxes are a bit lower in UP/HP. I think a closed off, built-out enclave inside the city should do a bit better than an ex-burb.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:54 PM

574 posts, read 1,486,219 times
That will be one heck of a commute to both locations. Are you sure you can commit to that?

I would say McKinney is closer to the 45-minute mark from most of University Park on a clear day. We recently went there on a Saturday and it took us about 40 minutes...and we live a stone's throw from 75/Lovers. And if you have to get on 635 West to get to FM there is never a clear day. It has taken me a good 20 minutes just on the merge ramp at 75/635 W the couple of times I have been foolish enough to go that way.

Hopefully more people who have a similar commute will respond and give you more info. But one thing I see repeated over and over on this board is to live as close as you can to where you work.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:03 PM

Maybe you guys are right, perhaps it's better to live near my full time gig at Flower Mound. Probably in Southlake or Colleyville then.

UP might just be a pipe dream.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:12 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,414,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
Maybe you guys are right, perhaps it's better to live near my full time gig at Flower Mound. Probably in Southlake or Colleyville then.

UP might just be a pipe dream.
Southlake isn't a bad 1st or second choice, especially if it makes a commute easier. But if you're the type to be driving from Southlake to Dallas all the time, you're better off just dealing with the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas