Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 09:35 PM

8 posts, read 29,073 times

Advertisements

We are about a week away from making a house purchase decision in the Dallas & surrounding area (relocating). We have narrowed to about 5 houses -

2 in Dallas between Forest/635/Midway/Tollway
2 in Flower Mound / Bridlewood
1 in Stonebriar Country Club / Frisco

We are really torn on the right decision for our family of 5 (preschool age kids). Do we buy an small, old home in Dallas for the short commute & Catholic schools, or do we buy a newer home in a more family-friendly suburb with a commute? My biggest question is about my favorite home in Stonebriar Country Club - I've heard this is an older community & that there would not be many young families at all in this neighborhood. Can anyone speak to that? Also not sure of the elementary school - Hicks / Lewisville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 06:08 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,278,621 times
Stonebriar does have families with younger kids but there is no area "within the gates" where kids hang out. The community pool/clubhouse are off Legacy and are open to the general public (with membership). You don't want your kids walking down Legacy road to go meet up w/their friends... you would need to drive or ride a bike etc...

Did you look in Starwood? that's an awesome community in Frisco.

Naima

Old 09-28-2008, 07:26 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,850,744 times
You need to run the numbers. You're talking about 3 completely different things, apples, oranges, and plums, as you're talking about Dallas county with Dallas schools, Denton County with Lewisville schools, and Collin County with Frisco schools.

Have you looked at the differences in taxes? The taxes alone can change your mortgage payments a couple of hundred a month depending on the price range you're looking in, with Dallas being the highest, especially with the Parkland Hospital tax.

Run your numbers and then ask yourself if the difference in payments is worth the difference in commute time to work along with an older verse newer home.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:53 PM

8 posts, read 29,073 times
I've run the numbers over and over. It is a lot more expensive for us to live in Dallas because we will be spending over $10K a year to send our kids to private school. I am wondering about Frisco vs. Flower Mound for the suburbs. We are more familiar with Flower Mound, and it seems less "mass produced" than Frisco. The one thing it is lacking is the shopping that is close to Frisco, but that's not a huge deal for us. We found in Flower Mound that the elementary schools are in the neighborhoods we are looking in, which seems like a big plus.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:04 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,890,022 times
I am not 100% certain about this, but I think Stonebriar Country Club, even though in Frisco is in the Lewisville ISD. I would look at other communities in Frisco close by that are in Frisco ISD. Starwood has been mentioned before.

Have you checked out West Plano as well? Similar homes to Stonebriar, convenient to Frisco shopping malls and the tollway but a few exits closer to Dallas. Willow Bend Country Club and surrounding developments are nice and the schools are exemplary.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:17 PM

6,831 posts, read 14,071,676 times
Where us your located.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:02 AM

308 posts, read 1,233,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4texans View Post
We are about a week away from making a house purchase decision in the Dallas & surrounding area (relocating). We have narrowed to about 5 houses -

2 in Dallas between Forest/635/Midway/Tollway
2 in Flower Mound / Bridlewood
1 in Stonebriar Country Club / Frisco

We are really torn on the right decision for our family of 5 (preschool age kids). Do we buy an small, old home in Dallas for the short commute & Catholic schools, or do we buy a newer home in a more family-friendly suburb with a commute? My biggest question is about my favorite home in Stonebriar Country Club - I've heard this is an older community & that there would not be many young families at all in this neighborhood. Can anyone speak to that? Also not sure of the elementary school - Hicks / Lewisville.
North Dallas doesn't have much to offer, so you might as well live in the suburbs.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:00 AM

50 posts, read 158,858 times
We are purchasing a home in the Bent Tree area. It is in Plano ISD but Dallas address. You might consider looking in this area too.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:03 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,850,744 times
I've heard nothing about the OP's price range, and Starwood is EXPENSIVE, and doubt it's in their budget.

When comparing Flower Mound to Frisco, you need to look at your life and the activities you do. Flower Mound is a hard city to get in and out of and you either have to go 2499 towards Grapevine, or 3040 Round Grove to get through Lewisville. All the other streets go mainly east and west and dump out on I35 which can be a traffic mess.

So, I suggest figuring out where you would need to go around the area and if driving is convenient. Closest "major" shopping is Grapevine Mills mall, and then all the BigBox shopping in Lewisville at 3040 Round Grove and I35. Frisco has several ways in and out of the city in all different directions, and you can choose to use tollways or not.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:03 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,890,022 times
The OP said they had a house in mind in Stonebriar Country Club. The price range there would be comparable to Starwood if not even more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas