Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:23 AM

308 posts, read 1,234,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
Wow, the people paying a fortune to live in the award winning South Side at Lamar lofts, would be shocked to find their homes are unacceptable. Of course, given who posted, I expected to see all of Oak Cliff tagged as unacceptable. Strange how full of life, and happy families it was down there on Sunday. What could those younger wealthy parents maintaining and restoring historic homes be thinking?

South Side: I don't know why people would pay a "fortune" to live in a sparesley populated, run-down part of town. BTW: The prices are low for Dallas standards, you would pay much more in a nice part of town.

Oak Cliff: 1) They are not "wealthy". 2) Parts of Oak Cliff are nice, but it is surrounded on all sides by filth and crime.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:23 AM

473 posts, read 1,571,183 times
Perhaps we should give the OP some credit here. When I first saw that we were all finally going to be provided boundaries and informed on exactly where we should live, I was a little skeptical. However, after reviewing the map I was shocked and pleased to see that the OP had included such a wide area. I fully expected to see that the only "acceptable" area would be Beverly Drive in HP since we all know that the OP has such refined taste. So, well done! I commend you and I am pleased to see that you are so bullish on so many areas within the city of Dallas.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:05 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,686,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdfw View Post
As I said in my original post, the map is to show people where it is acceptable to live, from both a safety and overall aesthetic viewpoint.

If you stay within those lines, you will not live in a crime infested area or drug den. There are a few spots within those lines that are run-down, but they are nothing compared to the areas outside the lines and the war zones around town. See my other thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...ve-dallas.html to avoid the bad areas even further.
OK, I guess. I still really don't see the overall value in what you are trying to say here. Plenty of nice areas (and bad ones too) outside those purple lines, and prob more than a "few" bad ones inside them. Sometimes crime areas can be located in a few block area, so making a blanket assertion that someone wouldn't run in to problems within your lines is a bit of an exaggeration. But if it helps anyone or makes you feel good for trying to help than more power to ya.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:45 PM

50 posts, read 158,942 times
Quote:
As a good reference to all of those moving to the City of Dallas (e.g. Dallas "proper" and not the suburbs), I have created a map showing exactly where you should look to live.

You should really think twice and/or avoid those areas not inside the lines that I have drawn. At the very least, you should spend some time driving around the area if it is outside the lines, as chances are it will be very run down and/or crime infested.

A few notes:

- These lines are general, and I know there are exceptions as to the specific bondaries, but the general boudaries have no exceptions
- There are still some bad spots within these lines, but these boundaries generally keep you out of war zones and run down neighborhoods.
- The quality and characteristics of these neighborhoods vary widely within these lines, e.g.Highland Park vs. Far east Lake Highlands, so this map is really to show where not to live.

If you are considering living outside of these lines, consider yourself warned.

I hope this helps everyone out.

Acceptable Places to Live in Dallas, TX - CommunityWalk
We are moving to Bent Tree West. It is outside those lines but still in Dallas, TX and in Collin County. I think Bent Tree is a good area too.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:01 PM

6,831 posts, read 14,079,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer45 View Post
We are moving to Bent Tree West. It is outside those lines but still in Dallas, TX and in Collin County. I think Bent Tree is a good area too.

But the teacher say's you must stay between the lines

Old 09-24-2008, 08:17 AM

50 posts, read 158,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Perhaps the teacher should look into updating the boundaries to include North Dallas!

Old 09-24-2008, 08:53 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,960,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Maybe the teacher needs wider rule paper or a blank sheet of paper w/ no lines.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:02 AM

308 posts, read 1,234,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
OK, I guess. I still really don't see the overall value in what you are trying to say here. Plenty of nice areas (and bad ones too) outside those purple lines, and prob more than a "few" bad ones inside them. Sometimes crime areas can be located in a few block area, so making a blanket assertion that someone wouldn't run in to problems within your lines is a bit of an exaggeration. But if it helps anyone or makes you feel good for trying to help than more power to ya.

No, there are no areas worth living in outside those lines, unless maybe you are a single male that has a nice handgun collection and you do not own anything worth stealing.

If one stays within the lines, generally you are not going to be living in a war zone or high crime area. Of course, everywhere in Dallas has rampant crime, including these areas. But these areas typically do not have as much crime as those areas outside the lines, and the crime that does occur is mostly theft and property crimes, as opposed to violent crime.

There are some bad spots within those lines (noteably in East Dallas), but you can easily tell which areas to avoid within these lines (they are the rund down areas with cheap apartments).

So again, if you are considering moving to Dallas "proper", be warned if you are looking outside these lines.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:37 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,686,442 times
Quote:
No, there are no areas worth living in outside those lines, unless maybe you are a single male that has a nice handgun collection and you do not own anything worth stealing.

If one stays within the lines, generally you are not going to be living in a war zone or high crime area. Of course, everywhere in Dallas has rampant crime, including these areas. But these areas typically do not have as much crime as those areas outside the lines, and the crime that does occur is mostly theft and property crimes, as opposed to violent crime.

There are some bad spots within those lines (noteably in East Dallas), but you can easily tell which areas to avoid within these lines (they are the rund down areas with cheap apartments).

So again, if you are considering moving to Dallas "proper", be warned if you are looking outside these lines.
I guess if someone is compelled to move only in to the city limits of Dallas for some reason, perhaps your map is helpful. Like I said, if it makes you feel good and if someone out there finds some use for it than good for you. I think, though, that most folks can tell by looking at any area with "rund down areas" and "cheap apartments" that it might not be the best part of town. Anywhoo..

Old 09-24-2008, 12:59 PM

869 posts, read 2,959,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
I guess if someone is compelled to move only in to the city limits of Dallas for some reason, perhaps your map is helpful. Like I said, if it makes you feel good and if someone out there finds some use for it than good for you. I think, though, that most folks can tell by looking at any area with "rund down areas" and "cheap apartments" that it might not be the best part of town. Anywhoo..
rb, there's absolutely no point in trying to have an intelligent conversation with Bill about an area south of I-30. He has stated (on multiple occasions) that anything south of that arbitrary line is a cesspool.

Just do what I do, ignore what he says. It's good for your blood pressure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas