Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2020, 10:37 AM

377 posts, read 381,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I've heard there are 800 tests to each kit. How often are you receiving kits?
That's for the CDC packets that are sent out to regional testing facilities like the county health dept.

But for the private labs like Quest/Labcorp, they only supply 10-20 test kits at one time. They told us it's supposed to scale up soon but we need each office to get hundreds of tests in order to reach adequate screening thresholds

Old 03-17-2020, 10:39 AM

451 posts, read 319,783 times
White House's 15 days guideline to slow the spread:
Read all the guidelines:

- Listen and follow the directions of your state and local authorities.
- If you feel sick, stay home. Do not go to work. Contact your medical provider.
- If your children are sick, keep them at home. Do not send them to school. Contact your medical provider.
- If someone in your household has tested positive for the coronavirus, keep the entire household at home. Do not go to work. - Do not go to school. Contact your medical provider.
- If you are an older person, stay home and away from other people.
- If you are a person with a serious underlying health condition that can put you at increased risk (for example, a condition that impairs your lung or heart function or weakens your immune system), stay home and away from other people.
- Even if you are young, or otherwise healthy, you are at risk and your activities can increase the risk for others. It is critical that you do your part to stop the spread of the coronavirus.
- Work or engage in schooling from home whenever possible.
- If you work in a critical infrastructure industry, as defined by the Department of Homeland Security, such as health care service and pharmaceutical and food supply, you have a special responsibility to maintain your normal work schedule. You and your employers should follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance to protect your health at work.
- Avoid social gatherings in groups of more than 10 people.
- Avoid eating or drinking in bars, restaurants, and food courts — use drive-thru, pick-up or delivery options.
- Avoid discretionary travel, shopping trips and social visits.
- Do not visit nursing homes or retirement or long-term care facilities unless to provide critical assistance.
- Practice good hygiene.
- Wash your hands, especially after touching any frequently used item or surface.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Sneeze or cough into a tissue, or the inside of your elbow.
- Disinfect frequently used items and surfaces as much as possible.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:44 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,409,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
White House's 15 days guideline to slow the spread:
Read all the guidelines:

- Listen and follow the directions of your state and local authorities.
- If you feel sick, stay home. Do not go to work. Contact your medical provider.
- If your children are sick, keep them at home. Do not send them to school. Contact your medical provider.
- If someone in your household has tested positive for the coronavirus, keep the entire household at home. Do not go to work. - Do not go to school. Contact your medical provider.
- If you are an older person, stay home and away from other people.
- If you are a person with a serious underlying health condition that can put you at increased risk (for example, a condition that impairs your lung or heart function or weakens your immune system), stay home and away from other people.
- Even if you are young, or otherwise healthy, you are at risk and your activities can increase the risk for others. It is critical that you do your part to stop the spread of the coronavirus.
- Work or engage in schooling from home whenever possible.
- If you work in a critical infrastructure industry, as defined by the Department of Homeland Security, such as health care service and pharmaceutical and food supply, you have a special responsibility to maintain your normal work schedule. You and your employers should follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance to protect your health at work.
- Avoid social gatherings in groups of more than 10 people.
- Avoid eating or drinking in bars, restaurants, and food courts — use drive-thru, pick-up or delivery options.
- Avoid discretionary travel, shopping trips and social visits.
- Do not visit nursing homes or retirement or long-term care facilities unless to provide critical assistance.
- Practice good hygiene.
- Wash your hands, especially after touching any frequently used item or surface.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Sneeze or cough into a tissue, or the inside of your elbow.
- Disinfect frequently used items and surfaces as much as possible.
Same information, different format.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:50 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
We're in for rough times ahead. When this first started, I thought if they could limit the cases coming into the US and handled them without any screwups, then the country might be over the worst of it in about 3-4 weeks. That's no longer the case, now I agree more with estimates saying July/August for full saturation.

We're all going to be hurting financially, but your health and others should still come first. Given the nature and scope of this outbreak, I believe the US government will step in to help. Just the political ramifications alone if they do nothing is enough to force the government to offer aid, whether that means all banks are told to "write off" 2 months of mortgages, landlords are told to forgive two months rent in return for a subsidy from the government, etc.

All anyone should be doing right now is hunkering down as much as they can to wait this out. If you go out, take precautions and limit exposure to other people.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:26 AM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I keep checking the Johns Hopkins site for Texas but it's still only 85 confirmed cases and that's since early yesterday morning. I know the testing is difficult situation but why are there no more confirmed cases since early yesterday?
Here's one of the reasons why tracking this is so difficult right now.
My wife's cousin is an ER doc in NYC. One of her doc colleagues tested positive for the virus. All the nurses and techs who had been working in close quarters with the positive doc for the last 4 days straight, were merely sent home and told to self quarantine. No test given. This scenario is probably being repeated all around the country. So there are potentially thousands more people positive but we dont know since they have not been tested and are being trusted to effectively self quarantine and not get anyone else sick. Just a complete cluster.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:30 AM

5,263 posts, read 6,399,224 times
Quote:
Multiple experts (including Congress' own doctor and a Harvard epidemiologist) have predicted that 25-50% of Americans will become infected. That's 75-150 million people. If we have anything like the 2-3% death rate we've had so far, that is millions of lives
That's not the correct death rate, even if this goes for months, and is nothing but fear mongering. Global deaths is around 6000. Is that going to go up? Of course, but it's not at all clear that the global number of deaths is going to be in the millions, much less the US number alone.

To make it clear that is because of the actions of people and government to limit and slow the spread, not because it isn't actually a big deal.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:13 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
That's not the correct death rate, even if this goes for months, and is nothing but fear mongering. Global deaths is around 6000. Is that going to go up? Of course, but it's not at all clear that the global number of deaths is going to be in the millions, much less the US number alone.

To make it clear that is because of the actions of people and government to limit and slow the spread, not because it isn't actually a big deal.
Sorry I'm on awful internet today can't seem to make links work:

Some encouraging news or at least less bad news........

1. It's in its infancy but early progress toward a vaccine seems encouraging.

2. A new estimate of death rates is right at 1%.

3. Maybe best of all noting that people are definitely not monkies.........but monkies with CV-19 seem to have developed at least short term resistance to new infection.

These topics will be front and center for months.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:18 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post

A few things:
1. Your posts are normally pretty good. Your logic here is terrible, though.

2. Johns Hopkins shows 7519 deaths and 190,664 cases. That's a 3.9% death rate. For various reasons, it may be lower (EDS posted info above), but to characterize Johns Hopkins as doing nothing but engaging in fear mongering is nonsense.

3. I'm not actually predicting that millions of people will die. I'm saying that is what is at stake. The fact that "it's not at all clear" that millions of people will die is a bizarre and completely irrelevant claim. I'm not saying it is clear that millions will die. I'm saying that multiple experts have predicted 75-150 million infections in the US. If that comes to pass, and if the death rate holds somewhere close to what we have seen (even if it is just 1%), that comes out to a million plus deaths in the US. In order to prevent that, we either need fewer infections or a lower death rate. For the average person at home, they can really only take action on the first point (reducing infections by practicing social isolation).

Do I think we will see a million plus deaths in the US? I have no idea. But that is a very real possibility, and that's exactly why we need to take the drastic steps we are taking.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:29 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
This are times we could not foresee to put it mildly. I am so sorry to see you two facing the challenges you have now.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you both and all our DFW and USA friends at this time. Uncertainty about a deadly virus and about our livelihood as well as every day life all off the rails. Hope we can see a bottom to this crisis soon to end this limbo we are all facing now.

A home on our street has been on the market for almost 9 months just went into Sold status. I am surprised but look forward to it going through..
Thank you for the good wishes and for the encouragement.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:59 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,103,207 times
Moderator note: The thread has started to drift again. I didn't remove any posts left this morning, but the discussion needs to remain focused on DFW. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas