Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2020, 09:04 PM

123 posts, read 173,644 times

Advertisements

Today, Texas reported 5490 new cases, soon 10000 new cases per day will be reached. The per-mature reopening has finally been punished. Without another lock down, the situation will likely be completely out of control like New York a few months ago. we were too optimistic before to assume the Texas heat will at least slow down the virus, but it turns out to be a false assumption. why we were not patient to wait till June 1 to reopen everything?

Old 06-23-2020, 10:14 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhappybird View Post
Today, Texas reported 5490 new cases, soon 10000 new cases per day will be reached. The per-mature reopening has finally been punished. Without another lock down, the situation will likely be completely out of control like New York a few months ago. we were too optimistic before to assume the Texas heat will at least slow down the virus, but it turns out to be a false assumption. why we were not patient to wait till June 1 to reopen everything?
Because our Republican Governor is spineless and either worships Trump or is scared to be blackmailed by him.

There was no reason to rush to reopen May 1st other than political ones.

Just like there is no reason why Gov. Abbott won’t make masks mandatory state-wise other than its political suicide for him. He’s trying to walk the line between both sides but really he’s pandering to Trump’s base.

No scientific minds thought the Texas heat would slow down the virus. Why would it when it was raging in other warm weather climates around the world?

Old 06-23-2020, 10:23 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Because our Republican Governor is spineless and either worships Trump or is scared to be blackmailed by him.

Just like there is no reason why Gov. Abbott won’t make masks mandatory state-wise other than its political suicide for him. He’s trying to walk the line between both sides but really he’s pandering to Trump’s base.

No scientific minds thought the Texas heat would slow down the virus. Why would it when it was raging in other warm weather climates around the world?
Actually I think a lot of minds thought the heat would slow this down...some even scientific.
The big fear was for the period of time towards the end of the year when it gets cold again and flu season kicks in. Plus it was the only logical explanation for why the southern hemisphere was not as badly hit compared to Europe and the United States...although that is now changing as we can see from the news.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:26 PM

8,151 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

As a minimum, he should've let cities and counties impose their own orders.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:59 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Agreed. And back in May, not a week ago.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:26 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post

Yes.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:40 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Let me clarify, I was homeless for a year. It was years ago. It was horrible all around. In a sister shelter,, an 20 yr left the shelter to work as a stripper. She came back within 6 months begging for help to get treatment for HIV. It was an under 21 youth halfway house program, so she was too old to come back. She went back to the streets without health insurance or treatment.

A guy that pointed to that shelter went to jail, 3 months after I got in to the shelter. Half the guys ended up on drugs shortly after leaving there.

This is only the safe stuff I can mention without identifying myself. To many people, it comes down to keeping their kids off the street. The reality of unemployment and homelessness is 100% miserable vs 1% for Coronavirus.
I'm not understanding. (not a regular in this thread). Is your point that homelessness is so devastating that the economy is more important than saving lives from COVID?

Old 06-24-2020, 12:45 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I was on the verge of homelessness in 2008-09. I was not killed.

My grandmother used to tell growing up in the Depression era stories. My late 2000s/early 2010s was on par with her Depression stories. My early 2020s might be too.

I don't know how many of my Class of 2008 classmates are fat now. Some were probably fat in 2008.
Really?

Old 06-24-2020, 07:30 AM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Actually I think a lot of minds thought the heat would slow this down...some even scientific.
The big fear was for the period of time towards the end of the year when it gets cold again and flu season kicks in. Plus it was the only logical explanation for why the southern hemisphere was not as badly hit compared to Europe and the United States...although that is now changing as we can see from the news.
Nobody thought the heat would stop the spread of the virus, but many scientific minds thought that it would slow including MIT, the University of Maryland, and the NIH. However, when we look at states where the virus exploded when it did one thing is clear: indoor spread is what fuels the virus. In the winter months, more people up north spend most of their time indoors. In the summer months, people in this part of the country spend more time indoors.

We would have seen George Floyd protest related spikes by now if there were going to be any. There havent been. Why? Probably because its harder to transmit the virus outdoors.

China contract traced 7,500 coronavirus cases. 7,499 were spread indoors. They were only able to find one COVID case where the spread was confirmed to have taken place outdoors.

Honestly, we should be encouraging people to spend as much time as possible outside as opposed to going to bars or doing activities indoors.

The other elephant in the room is that Southern California is in the exact same boat as Texas. They are reporting record numbers of cases, their hospitalization rates are dangerously high, etc. Yet, they did everything the EXACT OPPOSITE of us. The question is, why? Why did our reopening early and their more cautious reopening end up with the same results?

Old 06-24-2020, 07:35 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

The other elephant in the room is that Southern California is in the exact same boat as Texas. They are reporting record numbers of cases, their hospitalization rates are dangerously high, etc. Yet, they did everything the EXACT OPPOSITE of us. The question is, why? Why did our reopening early and their more cautious reopening end up with the same results?

Probably because despite the general politics of the state, the individuals infected in both states were doing the same things that got them infected.

The virus is spread by physics, not by politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas