Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,043 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a 23 year old male from Chicago, and I will be graduating college soon and moving to Dallas in August. I was wondering where you would recommend for me to live. From what I've heard, it sounds like Uptown is a pretty fun place for someone my age. I've also heard a lot of people live in Addison, which would be a little closer to work for me. However, being from Chicago, I like the big city feel, and my guess is I would get more of that in Uptown.

I'm moving to Dallas alone, and, outside of work, I won't know anyone who lives there, so if you have any suggestions on meeting people in Dallas, let me know that, too.

Thanks,
David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 12:51 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,519,735 times
Default Dallas 'hoods

David,

Uptown Dallas is a great option for you. There are 1000's of apartments, condos and townhomes. It encompasses a fairly large area just to the north of downtown Dallas and much of it is walkable. There is also a free trolley that goes up McKinney Ave from downtown all the way through Uptown. One particularly good area to live in is the West Village section of Uptown. Lots of retail, restaurants, bars, gyms, the Magnolia theatre, etc...

You might also investigate living downtown. There have been lots of old office buildings that have been converted to residential buildings. Although Downtown is not quite as lively as Uptown in the evenings, it is definitely worth considering and probably a little lower cost. Addison is nice, but it is basically a very well planned suburb with some urban features. Uptown or Downtown is the real thing. Besides, if you are going to work in Addison it is an easy reverse commute up the Dallas North tollway.

Gary

Old 04-07-2008, 01:20 PM

473 posts, read 1,569,380 times
Since you are coming from Chicago, I will second the idea that Uptown or Downtown would be a better fit than Addison. Also, you might look at a lot of the development taking place on east side of 75 across from Uptown on Henderson and Fitzhugh. Generally, it is a little more laid back than Uptown, but that is changing pretty fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: