Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 11:57 AM

4 posts, read 7,412 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm pretty new here, but here goes. I graduated in 2011 with my BBA and moved back in with my parents to the Shreveport area. I've been working and saving my money in order to move to a newer place. I had previously been applying to jobs in Little Rock and the Dallas areas, but I feel like many entry-level positions don't want to hire someone out of state, when there are plenty of local applicants with the same qualifications that I have. I know there are a ton of threads on here moving without employment, but any particular advice anyone has would be appreciated. I've saved up to around $10,000 while working, and my parents are more than willing co-sign for an apartment (they did this when I moved off campus my senior year). The plan in my head was to find an apartment with a 3-6 month lease, and put up with a commute to my potential job until my lease is up. The thing is, I don't really know where the most affordable place would be to start initially, seeing as how Dallas has so many parts to it. I have my own vehicle, so public transportation isn't an issue. I'm 24 year old, single male also, so public schools aren't an issue either. Thanks for any help or advice! I'm looking to start the process now and move sometime in December.

Last edited by TylerBarr; 10-31-2012 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 07:18 PM

384 posts, read 596,659 times
You only live once, go for it. Just make sure you hit the ground running. Network like crazy and don't just rely on sending resumes from positions you see on the usual job sites, they only represent a fraction of what's out there. Pick up the phone and call people, don't let a piece of paper do your talking for you. Make sure you are on LinkedIn and don't have pics on Facebook of you and the Olsen twins doing jello shots in Tijuana.

Ask a prospective employer what they are looking for in the person who fills the position, then articulate back to them examples of your skills that precisely match what they are looking for.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: