Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 09:12 AM

3 posts, read 5,565 times

Advertisements

I am going to be graduating in May 08 and moving to Dallas to start work at a public accounting firm there. I am interested in buying a small 'starter' house, but am not very familiar with the area. I want to be near the office which is downtown, on Ross, but can't afford to pay too much. Basically just trying to find a nice, practical area to live....anyone know of any?

Appreciate any insight you can give. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 09:19 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella4242 View Post
I am going to be graduating in May 08 and moving to Dallas to start work at a public accounting firm there. I am interested in buying a small 'starter' house, but am not very familiar with the area. I want to be near the office which is downtown, on Ross, but can't afford to pay too much. Basically just trying to find a nice, practical area to live....anyone know of any?

Appreciate any insight you can give. Thanks!!
It'd help if we knew what your budget was.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:22 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Honestly, I'd rent for a few years until you can afford to buy a bigger place. There are not a lot of small homes near downtown Dallas that are in safe neighborhoods. Plus, you may change job, relocate, etc. and then the house would just be a liability.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:28 PM

212 posts, read 1,153,721 times
Are you working Audit or Tax? If you're at a big4, national, or large local firm and working audit, you might not be going to the downtown office as much as you're anticipating since you'll usually be out in the field at a client's.
Tax people stay at the office more, but as accounting firms get more and more technologically advanced, that opens up possible opportunities to work at home.

In either case, I wouldn't buy a house based solely on your current office location (I think the average lifespan of someone in public accounting is around 3.5 years- much shorter than the average mortgage!), and it's a good idea to rent for at least 6 months before buying so you can learn the area.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 5,565 times
Thanks, I see your points and agree. On that note, does anyone have any suggestions on where to live? I don't know much about the area as far as apts and stuff. I want a safe area and nice apartment, but I don't want to pay a ridiculous amount.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:05 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I would talk to people at your new office, but Uptown (can be expensive),Knox-Henderson and Greenville Ave areas are popular. Also you can look at Urban or Garden Apartment complexes and in Lower Greenville/East Dallas/M-Streets/Lakewood there are many duplexes, single family and smaller older buildings which are cool. You could also live right in downtown (many older buildings being converted to apartments) or on the southside/Cedars/Lamar area.

Also you could get some friends or go by yourself and sit out on the patio at The Porch, Vickery Park or the Old Monk on Henderson and just talk to people who can clue you in...

Old 10-27-2007, 03:06 PM

38 posts, read 128,929 times
i'm pretty much in your same shoes. will be working for an accounting firm, graduating in may, etc. to be honest, property taxes are way too high for fresh grads to buy a home. it's not the smartest thing to do.. rent until you move up enough to where its comfortable. that's what i will be doing.

as far as living, like said before, if u can find roommates you should def consider uptown/downtown.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:58 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
I'd rent during my first job out of college. Uptown/downtown have the hippest places to live. Get an apartment locater. They're free. And they can give you some tips on negotiating down the rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: