Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 02:49 PM

31 posts, read 45,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie972 View Post
Google "$30k millionaire". Dallas is the capital of that scene.
An excellent primer:

$30,000 Millionaires: Douchebags in the Mist | Dallas Observer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 03:03 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,400,208 times
The worst person in that article is the writer.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:06 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
The worst person in that article is the writer.
I think I agree....

Old 10-19-2017, 09:04 PM

577 posts, read 456,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
I was under the impression that Dallasites tend to be a bit more marriage-minded than average. The explosion of family-friendly communities in the northern burbs would seem to bear that out.
I feel that way too, but I don't have too much experience in other cities. It does make sense though. In bigger cities like NYC, Boston, San Francisco, Chicago, etc.. it's quite common for young people to live there for a few years, and then move somewhere else to settle down. If they are only in the big city for a few years, perhaps they are less likely to look for something serious.

Dallas seems like a place that has more people willing to settle down. I suppose this largely depends on what part of the metroplex you live in, but, in general, it seems more common here, versus some of the larger cities? This is just based on nothing by my own observations, so it could be complete crap.

Uptown and Deep Ellum are great places to meet other young people. Addison and the Shops at Legacy are not bad either. I feel like the nightlife isn't as good in Addison and The Shops at Legacy, but you'll find way more people who live in the suburbs there, and maybe if they live in the suburbs, they are more likely to want to settle down?

Old 10-20-2017, 10:45 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,603 times
I would say Dallas and Atlanta are pretty similar. They're more likely to settle down earlier than in NYC, DC, or San Fran, but they're also more singles oriented than places such as Orlando, Charlotte, Nashville, etc. The size of the city/metro does play a role to a certain degree.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:16 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar1013 View Post
I've lived in Dallas 7 years and in my experience, Dallas is a sausage fest (good thing for you). I've been to Atlanta about 5 or 6 times and going out and about in clubs it seems there are more ladies than guys out there. I'd move in a heart beat for the same reasons, but jobs in my area seem to pay far less over in Atlanta.

This.. not sure amomg what demographic you are asking but at least in the black population the numbers in Dallas are a lot more even than they are in other cities like Atlanta, Houston and DC. Women far outnumber the number of available men in those cities especially among the professional population. Dallas just does not have that much of a disparity. As a woman you're probably far better off in Dallas than you would be in Atlanta.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:19 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,507 times
DFW:

In the heart of Dallas (Uptown etc), I'd say that women have more options and are generally much pickier because they can afford to take the 'long view' approach to dating. Lots of men and it seems like virtually every woman is always dating a new guy. Not many single ladies unless they don't like the pickings or simply decide to be single for awhile.

As you move away from the center, men have more luck. A generic 25-30 year old guy with his own place, a decent job/education etc., will make out like gangbusters in Arlington or even Fort Worth compared to central Dallas. More single women and a stronger push towards marriage.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:34 PM

31 posts, read 45,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
DFW:

In the heart of Dallas (Uptown etc), I'd say that women have more options and are generally much pickier because they can afford to take the 'long view' approach to dating. Lots of men and it seems like virtually every woman is always dating a new guy. Not many single ladies unless they don't like the pickings or simply decide to be single for awhile.

As you move away from the center, men have more luck. A generic 25-30 year old guy with his own place, a decent job/education etc., will make out like gangbusters in Arlington or even Fort Worth compared to central Dallas. More single women and a stronger push towards marriage.
I have heard Ft. Worth is more balanced than Dallas but I have lived in several suburbs (currently near Shops) and it is still a big ol sausage party. Atlanta and DC are still the best cities for guys to find someone.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:09 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatomicbomb90 View Post
I want to settle down and get married soon. I currently live in Atlanta and have hit a slump. Is dallas better ?

Don't listen to anyone saying people are the same everywhere. NYC is not San Antonio and Green Bay isn't Dallas. I've lived in both Atlanta ad Dallas/Fort Worth. D/FW is larger by around 1.3million people.
Atlanta is different because its really a southern town. Dallas/FW is not really a southern metro. Its influenced not only by southern history but also by western and Spanish/Mexican occupation. In some ways, its more diverse given the relationship with Mexico. Thus, you might find yourself engaging more people of different cultures than you did in Atlanta.

Also, there is a lot more migration from the west coast the last 20 years in Texas while Atlanta draws more from the east. West coast people have a more laid back mentality than feisty easterners.

Dallas Fort Worth is more spread out. North Plano, Downtown/Uptown Dallas, and Fort Worth are the employment hubs. Young people tend to gravitate toward Uptown Dallas, far north Dallas and West 7th street District in Fort Worth.

Several college hubs exist - Denton is a smallish college town north of Dallas with U of North Tx and TX Womens University. SMU is in Dallas, private school like Emory in Atlanta. U.T. Arlington is a large school of commuting students midway between Dallas and Fort Worth. Then you have the well respected Texas Christian University in southwest Fort Worth.

D/FW has changed a lot more than Atlanta the last ten years. This was posted on LinkedIn this week.
This Place Sure Has Changed: Which Cities Have Changed the Most? - MagnifyMoney
It shows what large metro areas have changed the most. Austin was first, D/FW was second.

And by the way, you might also want to consider Austin. I would say its age demographic skews younger than that of D/FW. Its not as big as ATL or DFW but the City itself is over 900K residents now and 2 million in the metro area.. Its only 75 miles from San Antonio, 2 1/2 hours from Houston and 3 hours from D/FW. Its has quite a bit of elevation on the west, several lakes to the west and a beautiful water front downtown. It really feels bigger than it is due to all of the festivals. I was there last weekend for the U.S. Grand Prix. A lot of Europeans fly over to enjoy Austin and the entertainment.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:11 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Not good if the OP is a straight male.

Atlanta has one of the highest HIV rates in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas