Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2006, 07:11 PM

16 posts, read 52,306 times

Advertisements

Hi All
I am relocating from CT/NY area to Dallas area for new job
well, as soon as I can find a great place to live, that is.

I found a nice house for lease in Garland
Was very excited, as I've been looking for weeks,
however a colleage in Dallas is telling me the commute from
there will run from an hour to
an hour & a half. Yikes !!!

Could this possibly be true? It's only a distance of 17 miles !
According to mapqust, most of the travel time would be on 635
I would need to arrive at work by 8 am
Additionally, offices are relocating approx 15 minutes further towards
DFW Airport in a couple of months.

Any assistance & housing tips/areas to avoid will be greatly appreciated
I am single, professional 30 something female, schools don't matter
(no kids - only a cool little dog). Need a house w/fenced yard.
Looking to be out there by the end of the month.
Would love to find a place convenient to work, but appreciate privacy & cool people
& not having to drive hours to reach civilization )

Thanks for listening & any assists
PS Are the summers bearable? Read a post which indicated 60 days in triple digits OMG !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 11:26 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
NO!!!!!! It would NOT take you an hour to an hour and a half. You would have many options if the route you decide is "prime" has a wreck or something. Now, on the stretch of LBJ that you would be traveling and the directions you would is w/ all of the other traffic but it still will not take you that long. You will probably spend more time on Centerville or waiting to get onto Centerville than you will on LBJ. Same w/ Spring Valley. So the move the offices would be making might not be that much more travel time for you if they are much closer to the highway than currently. LBJ moves along pretty good and only comes to a slow crawl if there is a big wreck and near the High Five interchange w/ 75-Central and w/ the Dallas North Tollway. Otherwise it moves along. As a matter of fact one of our trucks is normally coming back to Garland on LBJ about 4-5pm a few times a week from Dallas over around Industrial Blvd/Irving Blvd and can be back in an hour or less (usually less), and that is in a LARGE truck. Just listen to the traffic reports and pay attention to which lanes slow down at certain points like clock work and avoid those lanes at that spot.

Maybe you can get a chance to drive it one day before committing and see what you think. But getting to that area around Spring Valley, it does not matter from which direction you are going to be coming from or headed to after work, it is going to be CROWDED and LOTS of traffic right there.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:06 PM

16 posts, read 52,306 times
Default Thank U Thank U Thank U for the Reply & Good News !

Thanks so much for the info!
I thought it really odd that a 16 mile trip could possibly take that long
Here, I was commuting interstate from NY to CT & that took about 1-1/2 hours. So I am accustomed to congestion & delays, but wouldn't want to be in the car that long every day, especially with a stickshift.
I spent the entire weekend fruitlessly looking for a new rental, with a closer commute.

I was actually more concerned about the commute in, to be on time, as I am most definitely NOT a morning person. So you have greatly set my mind at ease. I had originally thought commute from Meadowview Dr (prior to move)would take approx 40 minutes.
I was in Dallas a week ago Friday, & found myself lost on the LBJ from DFW Airport to Spring Valley at 4pm ish, & although congested, thought we were moving at a very good clip.

I have a call in to different colleague at new job, I believe he commutes along that same route in AM (from Plano maybe), also will find out location of new offices.

Do you think that area is a cool area? Single female & don't want to have to worry about breakins or neighborhood psychos --- although I do have a feisty dog, he is only 8 lbs, an ankle biter at best

Thanks for the post also

Old 11-06-2006, 04:07 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
I just sent you a private message.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,538 times
I'm trying to find a better way, to travel from south Garland to the building Info Mart, in Dallas. Surely there's something better than driving it everyday. Train?
Bus would be just as slow as driving, wouldn't it? And is there something close to the Info Mart?????

Old 07-28-2007, 05:05 PM

443 posts, read 1,566,496 times
It can, on an awful day with a very bad wreck and ice on the ground, in other words rare. Should take around 40 minutes on a bad day, probably more like 30 in rush hour. There are many ways to take to get from Garland to Addison. I drive from East Richardson to Coppell every morning at 6:45 and I usually make it in 45 minutes, thats alot further than your commute Btw, try to stay away from LBJ after 6:45am/3:30pm or so, becomes a huge parking lot. Use Spring Valley, Arapaho or Belt Line if you don't want to do toll roads. As an example I can usually make it from Love field to East Richardson in 50-55 minutes in rush hour using a combination of backroads including royal to hillcrest to the george bush turnpike, thats about 10 miles further than you would have to drive. Btw, once they move toward the airport, you need to seriously consider picking up a toll tag.

Sorry Renee I'm not familiar with trying to get to South Garland from Dallas, wouldn't 78(Garland Road) or Northwest Highway to 78 work? Oak Lawn to Preston to Mockingbird also traverses the city to 78 but it can be slow at rush hour.

Enjoy Garland!

Last edited by DFWMike; 07-28-2007 at 05:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas