Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:22 PM

3 posts, read 8,448 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Dallas and are 90% sure we want to settle in Frisco. We have young kids and it seems the most suitable for our family. The only drawback is that my husband will be working in Las Colinas. He doesn't mind a long-ish drive but I just want to make sure this commute wouldn't be a hellish nightmare for him. Does anyone have experience with this commute?

ETA: We are looking at Frisco because a self contained area is important to us. Meaning, we don't have to get on the freeway and go to another town to find places to eat, shop, go to dr appts, etc. Dallas seems so spread out, we would really like an area where we can live and still find everything we need without having to travel very far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 08:35 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
The drive isn't too bad, probabably between 25-40 minutes depending in exact start/end points and time of day. The real killer is that it's a 100% tollroad commute at the cost of about $9/ day round-trip.

Have you considered Colleyville, Coppell, Southlake, or Grapevine? All are super family-centered, much closer to Las Colinas (with no tollroad commutes), and all have significantly better public schools than Frisco.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:41 PM

Southlake is out of our price range. Our budget is $200-$300k.

Are any of the places you mentioned as "self-contained" as Frisco is? I know it's silly but I have major driving anxiety and like to avoid freeways at all costs. Not having to travel far for daily errands is a big thing for us.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:49 PM

311 posts, read 450,731 times
Probably with your budget, have you considered Irving? If you're in Frisco I would guess you would be taking freeways on a daily basis. How do you survive in Texas without driving on the freeway? Unless you live in a small town.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:57 PM

I'm from The Woodlands, a suburb north of Houston. Everything is in one place. I'm a stay at home mom, so my errands just include the bank, grocery store, doctors appts for the kids etc. and it is all within a 5-15 drive from my house with no freeways involved ever. It's pretty great.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:03 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,354 times
All the neighborhood amenities you're talking about are in all the suburbs around Dallas. Doctors, groceries, Restraunts no problems at all having those nearby without freeway use.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:09 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,485,457 times
I second the Coppell, Grapevine, and Colleville recommendation. Grapevine and Colleyville feel like small towns. Parts of Irving in the Valley Ranch area are zoned to Coppell schools.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:30 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy8876 View Post
Southlake is out of our price range. Our budget is $200-$300k.

Are any of the places you mentioned as "self-contained" as Frisco is? I know it's silly but I have major driving anxiety and like to avoid freeways at all costs. Not having to travel far for daily errands is a big thing for us.
Grapevine would woke well wirh your budget. Dallas' suburbs blend one right into the next. It's possible to drive from my house a bit north of downtown Dallas all the way to Frisco/McKinney without getting on a highway. It will take an hour, but along the way are multiple malls, dozens of grocery stores, hundreds of bank branches, multiple hospitals & major medical centers, etc.

The point being- none of the suburbs mentioned need to involve highway driving. Frisco is not "contained" the way The Woodlands is; it blends right into neighboring Plano / The Colony/ Prosper/ McKinney with a first time visitor having no idea when they are passing from one city to the next. Same thing with Grapevine/ Colleyville/ Southlake area. It all just blends together on surface streets.

As long as you're picking suburbs and not small towns/ exurbs (like Celina/ Savannah way north of Frisco), anything you could ever want or need on a daily basis is going to be no more than 0-15 minutes from your house or the kids' schools.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:58 PM

277 posts, read 678,302 times
To answer your question, it's a 45 minute drive during rush hour.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:59 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,288 times
I do that commute sometimes. It takes me about 35 min and about $3-$3.5 / day. Whoever says it is $9/day is unreal. 121 straight shot to 35 and 35/ loop 12 / 114 can be done in 35 minutes if you leave before 7am... Period. Having said that, coppell might be better but outside your price range... South frisco close to 121 might be above your price range too... Coppell is a small town and you can run all your errands for the most part..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: