Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:02 AM

297 posts, read 513,191 times

Advertisements

The only ones I would turn in would be the trouble makers. The ones that get kicked out of their "home district" and then give aunties address in the new district. Go to new district and start causing troubles there. Those kids need to go.

The ones that have a parent in 2 different districts and pick the best to use the address for school..... good kids and value their education, parents involved, etc..... I'm fine with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 10:02 AM

227 posts, read 529,551 times
No one is arguing about students who have one parent paying taxes in this district. It is about people who abuse the system by using addresses of relatives. Honestly, its not about who we think is eligible to manipulate the law, it is about state law, district policies & finances. It is about residents who pay extra in mortgage for living in a good district and pay taxes to support the district. Is it fair to them and to the over burdened district?

Old 02-16-2013, 06:54 PM

36 posts, read 71,825 times
This is a surprisingly liberal thread for this forum. I'm proud of you all! So this conversation is no different from illegal immigration debates we see all over the news. If you're fine with one (lying for the benefit of children who get into good schools) you should see no problems with the other (parents lying for the benefit of their children to get to live in a good country.)

My problem with lying is that it's immoral. This deception says something about one's integrity, right? I admit I've never been in a desperate circumstance like this. Maybe integrity pales beside the prospect of setting up a child for success. I don't cheat or lie or steal. Perhaps I have the luxury of not needing to.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:42 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,932,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycastle View Post
I don't cheat or lie or steal. Perhaps I have the luxury of not needing to.
When my kid was an infant, I lived in a neighborhood (in another city) somewhat equivalent to Lakewood. The point being, there was a wide spread of wealth over a small physical distance (The #1 trial lawyer in the state lived 3 blocks from me. In the other direction, so did 6-8 halfway-house residents.), so the local shops served rich and poor alike. The local Walgreen's kept all the infant formula behind the pharmacy counter, which was an enormous hassle.

I chatted them up about that, and they claimed that baby formula was one of THE most shoplifted items in the store. Why? Because a LOT of people, even those who wouldn't fathom stealing something for themselves, are willing to cross that line if that's what it takes to keep their baby from starving. That was an eye-opening conversation for me, and one I haven't forgotten since.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:24 PM

Awesome, Big G. Thank you for sharing that story.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:46 PM

Yeah, let's just use hypothetical starving honor roll babies to justify illegal and immoral behavior of middle class cheats.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:04 PM

350 posts, read 750,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamney1 View Post
Yeah, let's just use hypothetical starving honor roll babies to justify illegal and immoral behavior of middle class cheats.
I'm with BigG on this one. Certainly, none of us know the position that any of these families are in, other than that they care about their kid's future; by no means are we the ones who can decide if any of their actions are "immoral".

Old 02-16-2013, 10:08 PM

Wow, Obamney. If it's all that uncomplicated to you, I suspect you haven't given it enough thought yet. I DID laugh at your "starving honor roll babies" - You paint quite a picture.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:34 PM

Ground reality is more like few manipulators adopting chubby new born Frisco/Lewisville ISD houses instead of staying in skinny adolescent Plano homes but still trying to milk Rice-Jasper-Sr track ... grandma Jen's Plano retirement apartment address comes in handy though probably Jack n Jill hardly ever visit her.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:48 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,943,115 times
Reality is that many times this is all gossip--
anyone who has a real reason to believe that a child is attending a school in district he/she does not have legal right---turn them in to the district--
let the district decide

but more people don't do that--they just gossip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas