Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 07:16 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times

Advertisements

I knew a woman who lived in Garland but sent her kids to school in Plano because their father lived in the Plano ISD; they used his address. I didn't see a problem with it then and still don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 07:26 PM

297 posts, read 512,488 times
No lie, I see a house in Plano ISD in a nice neighborhood with good feeder schools that has a Flower Mound school spirit sign in their yard. Don't know the resident but I'd hope that one of the parents worked in the LISD as that would be a long haul just to have the kid go to FMHS.

As for what the poster stated about the taxes. That scenario is very much true in many areas across the metroplex. School district boundries do not follow city limit lines.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:27 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,925,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamney1 View Post
"Allen Independent School District is a public school district based in Allen, Texas (USA). Allen ISD covers most of the city of Allen, as well as portions of the cities of McKinney, Plano, and Parker." Wikipedia
I stand corrected - barely. A search on Collin CAD - Home for Allen ISD/City of Plano turned up only 70 hits, all of which were non-residential, save a grand total of TWO farm properties, one of which is owned by an estate. I suppose one or both they might have a farmhouse on there somewhere. So yeah, there are TWO potential residences in all of Plano that are supposed to feed Allen ISD.

Flipping the criteria to Plano ISD/City of Allen yields over 1000 hits. You make the call which is more likely.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:08 PM

227 posts, read 529,028 times
Ohio Mom Kelley Williams-Bolar Jailed for Sending Kids to Better School District - ABC News
Kelley Williams-Bolar was convicted of lying about her residency to get her daughters into a better school district.

"It's overwhelming. I'm exhausted," she said. "I did this for them, so there it is. I did this for them."

Williams-Bolar decided four years ago to send her daughters to a highly ranked school in neighboring Copley-Fairlawn School District.

But it wasn't her Akron district of residence, so her children were ineligible to attend school there, even though her father lived within the district's boundaries.

The school district accused Williams-Bolar of lying about her address, falsifying records and, when confronted, having her father file false court papers to get around the system.

Williams-Bolar said she did it to keep her children safe and that she lived part-time with her dad.

"When my home got broken into, I felt it was my duty to do something else," Williams-Bolar said.

While her children are no longer attending schools in the Copley-Fairlawn District, school officials said she was cheating because her daughters received a quality education without paying taxes to fund it.

"Those dollars need to stay home with our students," school district officials said.

Sentence Intended as Deterrent
The district hired a private investigator, who shot video showing Williams-Bolar driving her children into the district.

The school officials asked her to pay $30,000 in back tuition.

Williams-Bolar refused and was indicted and convicted of falsifying her residency records.

She was sentenced last week to 10 days in county jail and put on three years of probation.

She will also be required to perform community service, the Beacon Journal reported.

Williams-Bolar said she was being singled out.

"I don't think they wanted money ? ," Williams-Bolar said. "They wanted me to be an example."

Presiding Judge Patricia Cosgrove acknowledged as much.

"I felt that some punishment or deterrent was needed for other individuals who might think to defraud the various school districts," Cosgrove said.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:17 PM

If you want to avoid buying in the wrong district than use this link before you put an offer. My dentist bought a house in Deer field of Plano's newest phase assuming it feeds to Plano only to find out it feeds into Frisco ISD. Texas school districts do not follow city boundaries. They had to rent out their brand new house and live in an apartment so their child can continue her 12th grade in Plano where she attended 11th grade.

School Finder : Plano ISD

Old 02-12-2013, 09:29 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
No lie, I see a house in Plano ISD in a nice neighborhood with good feeder schools that has a Flower Mound school spirit sign in their yard. Don't know the resident but I'd hope that one of the parents worked in the LISD as that would be a long haul just to have the kid go to FMHS.

As for what the poster stated about the taxes. That scenario is very much true in many areas across the metroplex. School district boundries do not follow city limit lines.
Could be that the child lives with a parent in Flower Mound and spends every other weekend with the non-custodial parent in Plano. The Plano parent is still proud of their FM student.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:58 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Could be that the child lives with a parent in Flower Mound and spends every other weekend with the non-custodial parent in Plano. The Plano parent is still proud of their FM student.
Yep. I used to live in a DISD neighborhood and one of my neighbors had a HP sign out front. It was either a joint custody or the parent in my neighborhood was simply supportive of their kid's school.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:35 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,252,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamney1 View Post
If you want to avoid buying in the wrong district than use this link before you put an offer. My dentist bought a house in Deer field of Plano's newest phase assuming it feeds to Plano only to find out it feeds into Frisco ISD. Texas school districts do not follow city boundaries. They had to rent out their brand new house and live in an apartment so their child can continue her 12th grade in Plano where she attended 11th grade.

School Finder : Plano ISD
That is one dentist that I am glad is not mine. How could anyone purchase a home and not do the basic homework of checking out the school district they are buying in. When the builder was there, they had a huge sign right by the front door that said "FRISCO ISD" and if he purchased a pre-owned, it would have been on so many pieces of information, flyers, website, etc.

The bottom line here is that anyone that does this, is only looking for the BEST education for their children. Can you blame them? I personally don't have a problem with it.

Naima

Old 02-14-2013, 06:20 AM

To be honest it wasn't the dentist but dental hygienist , still is college educated and so is the spouse. Here is the law that applies to this situation and though I can understand parent's intentions, it is still illegal and a drain on our district's resources. I don't blame people who report these cases to the authorities.

WARNING:
The Texas Education Code §25.001(h) and the Texas Penal Code §37.10 provide penalties for falsifying school district records. The criminal penalty is a Class C misdemeanor with a maximum fine of up to $500.00. In addition, monetary penalties may be assessed. A person who knowingly falsifies or provides misleading information on a form required for enrollment of a student in school district is liable for (1) the maximum tuition fee, or (2) The amount the district has budgeted for each student as maintenance and operating expenses.
Criminal prosecutions of the parents involved in the alleged address falsification appear to be rare, but not unprecedented. There are several examples. Charges typically involve falsifying records or theft of services. Sentenced for up to ten years.

Some people may not consider Texas Class C misdemeanor charges grave but having a misdemeanor conviction in Texas on your criminal record can impact your life in lots of negative ways. For example, you may have difficult time getting the job you want, being admitted to an institution of higher education, or even obtaining an occupational license. Humiliation and embarrassment in school and community is another consequence.

Last edited by Obamney1; 02-14-2013 at 07:25 AM..

Old 02-14-2013, 07:26 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
No--I don't approve of families doing district jumping like this--
You can apply for a district transfer and pay to have your child attend an out of district school...
but not every district will allow that if they are crowded and you don't always get choice of school you want to attend--you go where the district has space--so most people don't want to take that chance...
IF there is legitimate interest like shared custody parenting--that is only reason to do it

because your grandparents/someone helps babysit or your best friend goes there and you wan to too or there is better sports/arts/debate/science whatever program--
I'm sorry but the state of TX doesn't work like that...
IF you have the child's name and true physical address of the custodial parent and want to make a report, you can certainly do so...but lot of time those reports aren't followed up with much vigor...

only time it gets quick investigation is when athletics is involved as in the Southlake Carroll quarterback a couple of years ago who was renting home in Southlake but whose residency and eligibility was questionable...he was finally ruled ineligible because of problems with penalties in OK that he never fully cleared...
OR when the child in question is problematic--you have someone like that who is discipline problem, then schools usually welcome chance to move the problem along w/o lot of legal work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas