Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 PM

287 posts, read 517,212 times

Advertisements

Could you please tell me the pros and cons of the Allen, West Plano, and Coppell ISDs? These are the two areas we are focusing on at the moment. I was really in love with Coppell unti I read about the Cypress Waters project. Just posted a separate thread about that as well. I am nervous about that affecting my kids' education in Coppell in the next 8 years. We are considering Allen and West Plano because it's closer to downtown Dallas (shorter commute than other places we were considering) with what seems like good school systems. Rental budget is $2500-$2750 for 4 BR or $350k-$375k to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 05:52 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Uh, who told you Allen was a shorter drive to downtown than Coppell? Allen is a good 45-60+ min in rush hour. It's significantly longer commute than W Plano to DT because W Plano's commute is on the Tollroad (and the miles are less....unless you're looking way up in NW Plano close to 121). But if you're in 75093, the Allen commute is going to be 15-25 min longer. 75 is full of semis, more wrecks than Tollroad, and just slower moving in general (even when traffic is moving, the pace on Tollroad is a good 10-15mph faster than 75.)

Oh yeah, and Allen's schools - while a good bit better than Frisco's- are no where in the league of W Plano or Coppell. If HP / SL / FM / Coppell/ Plano are the "elite" publics, Allen is solidly "tier 2".

Old 01-14-2013, 07:58 AM

227 posts, read 529,073 times
As stated by TC80, Allen is not in the same league as Coppell and West Plano. You loose good schools and get longer commute. I don't see any reason but cheap housing to go there but then there are so many cheaper choices if you can compromise on commute and education.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:44 AM

323 posts, read 633,432 times
I am biased being a West Plano resident but we do have a lot to offer. First of all we have plenty of envious people from city n exurbs religiously bashing our area which is quite amusing. Second we have a central location and quick access in all directions with three tollways. Our schools are top notch. Our city management is efficient, police and fire fighters are diligent. We have great recreation centers, parks and natural reserves.We have lower property taxes and plenty of jobs thanks to several fortune 500 corporate headquarters. We offer every amenity from dining and retail to entertainment and children's activities. Our home resale is very stable since decades.We have a very diverse community and having homes from $10 million to $250,000 makes us financially diverse as well. You can find older custom charmers or brand new zero lot to suit your needs. Most of the town is built out so no struggle with builders's new shine for resale and no surprising new neighbors. I really like little intimate niches in middle of all the big town amenities. On top of that we are a stone throw away from all that Dallas and Park cities have to offer. People leave the town for college and then come back to raise families. To be honest it is no Highland Park but the next best thing and you pay a premium for that.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:40 PM

Thank you all for your responses... especially TurtleCreek80, who seems to be a tremendous wealth of information (on various questions I've posted.) We are now leaning toward West Plano and hope that our scouting trip will lead us to a very positive impression of the area. I only have to get over the issue of having my kids enter such large schools as they get older....I will be posting a question about that momentarily. Thanks again all.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:15 AM

227 posts, read 529,073 times
Same size or smaller schools in Plano till 10th grade. Senior high a bit bigger since we are a bigger district but with all the division coming with new health, technology and IB academies, its going to be more organized than other districts. By the way Coppell and Allen have only one big high school each so student bodies are not smaller. At least Coppell has good academics, Allen is HUGE and let's just say that focus is not academics.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 AM

Wondering if anyone else can contribute to this discussion-- Coppell versus West Plano?? I think I have ruled out Allen in our search. Thank you!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:52 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
My take on Cypress Waters is that it will attract upscale and highly educated singles who will then have babies and buy up in the area. I have observed the same phenomenon at Austin Ranch and in Las Colinas - and many people had the same opinion of developments there.

I think at this point it really comes down to the commute and other things like Churches or the vibe at school events, etc.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by europeanone View Post
Wondering if anyone else can contribute to this discussion-- Coppell versus West Plano?? I think I have ruled out Allen in our search. Thank you!
I prefer the look and feel of West Plano to Coppell but you will find others the opposite. I live in W. Plano and can tell you we love it. I rare have to leave the area to find what I need or want. That suits me. I work in Irving 3 days a week and am familiar wiht Coppell from a work perspective. What amazes me about DFW area is that many upper end residential cities are so near DFW airport. I occasionally hear a place (like once a day in w. plano) but wonder how Southlake, Coppell and many others around the airport are impacted if at all. Coppell feels more like a bedroom city to me although it has a number of work locations on the side near the airport. Plano's mix of employment seems broader to me.

This stuff is pretty subjective but I can highly recommend W. Plano from my experience and needs

Old 02-05-2013, 10:27 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,926,513 times
I'm supposed to be plugging Plano, but Coppell is its equal in many ways.

If new construction is desired, I believe Coppell has some active developments in your price range. You won't find that in west Plano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: