Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 05:17 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,640,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Oh man, I knew it was coming, but Lakewood/M Streets is probably NOT the ideal situation for this family.
I agree with this 100%. Lakewood would be a great commute, but would not meet any of the other check boxes - in particular schools and a band program. I live in Lakewood and based on what the OP stated - it wouldn't fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deenasue View Post
We will be visiting during Spring Break in Mar/Apr. Will get a real feel for the area as opposed to the Internet tours. We will have only 4 days, so I want to have it mapped out to include time to visit schools, neighborhoods, and "experience" the traffic/commute possibilities.

Thanks!
You have probably already thought about this, but check your dates when you are coming. Spring Break week here in Dallas is the week of March 11 for most schools. (Texas does this thing where almost the entire state has the same break) It sounds like you might be coming later, but you might want to check so you can "see" what you are trying to see when you are here.

Other than Coppell, I would also look at the JJ Pearce zoned areas of Richardson. I think the commute wouldn't be too bad, you could find affordable housing and they have a good band/school system.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 05:35 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,350,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
Other than Coppell, I would also look at the JJ Pearce zoned areas of Richardson. I think the commute wouldn't be too bad, you could find affordable housing and they have a good band/school system.

I agree. I think Richardson sounds like a very good fit for the OP and they should consider it.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 AM

5 posts, read 7,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
I agree with this 100%. Lakewood would be a great commute, but would not meet any of the other check boxes - in particular schools and a band program. I live in Lakewood and based on what the OP stated - it wouldn't fit.

You have probably already thought about this, but check your dates when you are coming. Spring Break week here in Dallas is the week of March 11 for most schools. (Texas does this thing where almost the entire state has the same break) It sounds like you might be coming later, but you might want to check so you can "see" what you are trying to see when you are here.

Good luck!
Our Spring break is week of Apr 1-so we should be good. I will call ahead to some of the schools so it isn't a wasted trek. I will also check Richardson. I had originally crossed that off the list because of the crazy commute comments. Thanks so much for your input. The size of Dallas is very overwhelming when one is accustomed to much smaller communities. This will be an adventure!

Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,350,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deenasue View Post
Our Spring break is week of Apr 1-so we should be good. I will call ahead to some of the schools so it isn't a wasted trek. I will also check Richardson. I had originally crossed that off the list because of the crazy commute comments. Thanks so much for your input. The size of Dallas is very overwhelming when one is accustomed to much smaller communities. This will be an adventure!
The commute to Baylor would be simpler from Richardson than from Coppell since it's a straight shot down 75.

You could also theoretically ride the DART train to work; you would have to ride the red or orange line all the way to the arts district, then transfer to the green line which goes to Baylor. The red/orange and green lines do not intersect until you get downtown. There might be a bus that goes from Cityplace to Baylor, since they're not too far apart...but I don't know the DART system very well so don't quote me on that. If you go to DART.org you should be able to map some routes on your own.

The orange line also goes into Irving, but it stops near Belt Line and 161 so you'd have to drive to that station in order to take the train from Coppell.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,755,712 times
Sounds like Coppell or Richardson will work for you best. The only other thing to think about is academics. Coppell is better than Richardson.

DART may not be the best option for the commute due to the weird hours and family considerations. Many times your husband will want to make a game or other event and DART will slow him down or lock him in.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:54 PM

61 posts, read 156,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmom View Post
Check out rentals in University Park that feed into Highland Park school system. Best public school system in DFW and the commute would be easy.
Agree this. Very nice commute and close to everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas