Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:08 PM

10 posts, read 39,796 times

Advertisements

First, let me say I have thorougly enjoyed reading these boards. My family is moving from CA - just moved from Atlanta 6 months ago - back to Texas. We lived in Plano 5 years ago. My husband will be flying from DFW Mon-Thurs and working downtown Dallas on Fridays. Some weeks he might be working with clients in downtown Dallas all week. So the commute for him is important, but more importantly are schools for my kids - middle and high school. I don't want to go back to Plano (we were in Frisco ISD), but I have family in Frisco. I also don't have a desire to live in downtown (HP or UP). We were thinking Southlake would work, but after reading the boards I am very concerned about airplane noise and traffic to downtown. I have tried to figure out pretty much a border for the airplane noise and was wondering if anyone had more information on that. I understand it depends on the wind, but I was trying to get a general idea of the areas to avoid. The area where the Walmart is has been pointed out as loud numerous times. We love new construction and I believe all the new construction in Southlake is under that flight pattern. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 05:26 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
What about Colleyville? Very good schools, very close to DFW (but I think less in the flight pattern than the burbs directly north of the airport)....commute downtown stinks (probably about an hour) but your hubby is going to have a long drive from Southlake or any other place on your list right now.

The thing I really like about Colleyville - even compared to Southlake- is how HUUUUGE the lots are. Depending on your budget, which you didn't mention, you could end up in a new or relatively new home on a 1-10 acre wooded lot.

Also, depending on your budget & finances, you could look in North Dallas, south of LBJ. 15-20 minutes to downtown and about 25 to DFW. 75230 offers nice big lots (.3-.5 acre is pretty standard, some are even bigger) and there are lots of new/newer homes there, too. You'd have to do private middle & high schools, but on the bright side- there are probably a dozen or more private schools within a 5 mile radius.

Is there a reason you've nixed the Park Cities? Wonderful schools, less than 10 minutes to downtown, and 20-30 minutes to DFW. Plus you can't beat the city services- dedicated police & fire, trash pickup several times a week, bulk trash pick up on request (vs waiting for your "day of the month"), etc. Just wondering if you actually spent much time there when you lived in Plano....you're looking for a suburb and yet the Park Cities are really a suburb in the middle of the city, as far as quiet neighborhoods, family-friendly community, etc.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:40 PM

Thanks for your advice. I did see Colleyville and that looked interesting as well. Ideally we want to spend less than $800,000. I ruled out HP and UP because of the fact that they aren't new construction. Some people love historic and older homes, but we prefer new. I also really want to avoid private schools due to the cost. I would rather put it towards a house and get the benefits of a great public education. Is all of Southlake loud with airplane noise? Is his commute to downtown Dallas going to take an hour? Thanks!!!

Old 12-09-2010, 05:50 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
The air traffic in Southlake is really not that bad but if you want to draw a dividing line Hwy 114 is a pretty good place to start. Most of the air traffic coming in from the west comes in over lake Grapevine and turns south into the airport.

Most of the air traffic to the north, west & east is landing which is less noise. Most takeoffs are to the south 95% of the time.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:23 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
FWIW, some years ago, I lived directly under the flight path of a major airport in another city. After a month or two, you don't even hear it, especially indoors.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:27 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
FWIW, some years ago, I lived directly under the flight path of a major airport in another city. After a month or two, you don't even hear it, especially indoors.

Very true, the planes all fly right into Love Field via Lemmon or Cedar Springs (within 2 blocks or so of my high rise) and I never notice them anymore.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:19 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
Coppell would be better much better for downtown than Southlake. But lot sizes are small!
Definately check out southern Colleyville...

Old 12-09-2010, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the info on the flight pattern of Hwy 114. Sounds like Southlake and Colleyville are the standouts so far for commute and schools. Keep the advice coming - I really appreciate it!!!

Old 12-09-2010, 08:34 PM

85 posts, read 217,519 times
We are under contract in Southlake; no airplane noise to speak of. I would say go for it. Great community with excellent schools, and the lots are large with very nice yards. What's not to like? Most of the hate for Southlake on here is just jealousy.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:08 PM

What part of Southlake are you purchasing in that you can't hear airplane noise? Am I understanding that anywhere south of 114 and west of the walmart is quieter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas