Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 11:39 AM

12 posts, read 24,061 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Some of your statements are not correct. It is unfortunate that they are not saying exactly what is planned for Cyprus Waters just they a building apartments. You can read the tentative plans on their website but it does change, unfortunately the changes are kept hush hush. Coppell is now having a May 11, 2013 election. Here is a direct quote "Voters in Coppell ISD will be asked to approve a $79.5 million package(taxes going up for Coppell homeowners)."The bond would be used toward the cost of a new elementary school in Cyprus Waters at a cost of $12 million." If they are building mostly 1 bedroom apartments where are all these children coming from. When I lived in Coppell which was a short time ago the plan was to build a new High School in Cypress Waters. I lived in Coppell for over 20 years and recently moved and I did love the location and the small town atmosphere. I will say that when my freshman started high school it was good but overcrowded with big class sizes. The school district spans a lot of area. Parts of Riverchase which is considered Carrollton is in Coppell ISD, areas in Lewisville by the Market Street are in Coppell ISD, the new developments on MacArthur in Irving, I think it is called Emerald(homes by the 635 highway) are also in Coppell ISD. I guess the point I want to make is the the CISD school district covers a large area and will probably eventually include the Cyprus Waters project. District boundary lines are frequently changed. The area that was originally known as Northlake is huge that is why they are projected to build 10,000 apartments. It will take time to finish out but the impact will be felt in Coppell.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:11 PM

473 posts, read 1,200,396 times
One of the reasons Flower Mound have low property tax of 2.19% is their efficient financial management. They also don't have to pay interests on bonds for schools/ ISD. Flower Mound do not have their own ISD and uses LISD schools. There have been demands to create a Flower Mound ISD, but every time this discussion came up, it didn't get a buy in due to possible increase in property taxes , admin overheads to maintain an ISD and voters approval needed.
Coppell property taxes are already high (2.73%). They increased their last property tax in 2010 after the bond were approved for the purchase of Northlake property. Not sure how long they can sustain and if they will issue more bonds in future beyond $79.5 million they need now. Hope they are able to meet the interest expenses from the additional revenue and not have another property tax increase.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:36 PM

74 posts, read 166,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scream View Post
If they are building mostly 1 bedroom apartments where are all these children coming from.
Bond May 2013 / Overview

Click on "Map of Anticipated Growth". 1500 multi family units (Cypress Waters) + 1200 single family units (south of 635) + CISD is busing 750 students out of the Valley Ranch area that will instead be sent to the new elementary school.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:24 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,024,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidTiger View Post
Bond May 2013 / Overview

Click on "Map of Anticipated Growth". 1500 multi family units (Cypress Waters) + 1200 single family units (south of 635) + CISD is busing 750 students out of the Valley Ranch area that will instead be sent to the new elementary school.
SFH are definitely positive for the isd in the long run. But I do not understand lot of their intentions mentioned with the Bond sale. They do take lot of non district students and at the same time they want to build new schools. Is there any rule stopping them using money from existing tax revenue instead of new bond.

They are talking about new school in VR not in cypress area. Probably they are the same to accommodate kids from new developments. I do not see how they can pull out 600 students from VR feeding schools in Coppell (Austin, Mockingbird Elem). Who is going to fill up those schools as they are pretty much built out and these schools are very close to northern part of VR.

Builder talks about something like having at least 75% single bed room apartments in master planned multi family community (check the presentation around 25th min). Is there any legislation in TX?

Last edited by ritholtz; 04-04-2013 at 03:34 PM..

Old 04-04-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adixyz View Post
One of the reasons Flower Mound have low property tax of 2.19% is their efficient financial management. They also don't have to pay interests on bonds for schools/ ISD. Flower Mound do not have their own ISD and uses LISD schools. There have been demands to create a Flower Mound ISD, but every time this discussion came up, it didn't get a buy in due to possible increase in property taxes , admin overheads to maintain an ISD and voters approval needed.
Coppell property taxes are already high (2.73%). They increased their last property tax in 2010 after the bond were approved for the purchase of Northlake property. Not sure how long they can sustain and if they will issue more bonds in future beyond $79.5 million they need now. Hope they are able to meet the interest expenses from the additional revenue and not have another property tax increase.
Adi,
How much is your ISD tax rate?

Old 04-04-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Hi,
Some of your statements are not correct. It is unfortunate that they are not saying exactly what is planned for Cyprus Waters just they a building apartments. You can read the tentative plans on their website but it does change, unfortunately the changes are kept hush hush. Coppell is now having a May 11, 2013 election. Here is a direct quote "Voters in Coppell ISD will be asked to approve a $79.5 million package(taxes going up for Coppell homeowners)."The bond would be used toward the cost of a new elementary school in Cyprus Waters at a cost of $12 million." If they are building mostly 1 bedroom apartments where are all these children coming from. When I lived in Coppell which was a short time ago the plan was to build a new High School in Cypress Waters. I lived in Coppell for over 20 years and recently moved and I did love the location and the small town atmosphere. I will say that when my freshman started high school it was good but overcrowded with big class sizes. The school district spans a lot of area. Parts of Riverchase which is considered Carrollton is in Coppell ISD, areas in Lewisville by the Market Street are in Coppell ISD, the new developments on MacArthur in Irving, I think it is called Emerald(homes by the 635 highway) are also in Coppell ISD. I guess the point I want to make is the the CISD school district covers a large area and will probably eventually include the Cyprus Waters project. District boundary lines are frequently changed. The area that was originally known as Northlake is huge that is why they are projected to build 10,000 apartments. It will take time to finish out but the impact will be felt in Coppell.
Hi Scram,
Thanks for the information. I guess, builder might be doing different than what is planned initially. Northlake area is always in Coppell ISD. I don't think so, there are any changes to the boundary. Coppell ISD extends beyond 114 and into the DFW airport. They are leveling the land near 114, Belt line and Royal lane corner. Probably, that is where they are building sf homes.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:08 PM

I have one question probably I should ask my realtor as well. Is Coppell ISD and Coppell city considered same entity working for same objective. Are they suppose to work independently? Is Coppell ISD going to come up with policies which will help/favor Coppell city at expense of other areas (Valley Ranch).

Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 AM

12 posts, read 24,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post
I have one question probably I should ask my realtor as well. Is Coppell ISD and Coppell city considered same entity working for same objective. Are they suppose to work independently? Is Coppell ISD going to come up with policies which will help/favor Coppell city at expense of other areas (Valley Ranch).
Hi Ritholtz,
I just wanted to give you some advice about doing your homework and not relying on everything your relator tells you. When we sold our home in Coppell the family were from out of state and their relator told them the Northlake project was in a different city and would have no impact on Coppell. I guess the couple never researched anything about Cypress Waters. Our next door neighbor from Coppell who we still socialize with told us when they met the new family that bought our home the husband told them "Had they been told the truth about the Cypress Water project they probably would have bought elsewhere." Our ex neighbors home is currently for sale.

Here is some information on the Cypress Waters project.
Cypress Waters may turn out to be North Texas’ biggest rental home community yet.
Developer Billingsley Co. has started construction on the 1,000-acre development, with the first 673 apartments expected to be ready by early 2013.
Eventually, thousands of residences, mostly apartments, will be built on the north side of LBJ Freeway facing Northlake.
“We have the potential to build 10,000 units here, so we needed to start this project in a major way,” developer Lucy Billingsley said. “Our hope and dream is we build a master-planned rental living community.”
The project has been a long time in the making.
Billingsley bought the property surrounding North Lake almost eight years ago from utility companies. During the 1950s, the reservoir was built by Dallas Power and Light Co. to provide cooling for its electric plant on Belt Line Road.

In 2004, the electric utilities agreed to sell the property to Billingsley, who began planning to develop it.
The surrounding suburbs initially opposed the project and sued to stop construction. Year after year Coppell fought to stop the Cypress Waters development.
But in 2008, the builder and city governments settled their differences. Since then, Billingsley Co. has been working to plan the property and design the first rental units.

“This is one of the largest in-fill development sites in America,” Billingsley said. “It is a site close to tremendous employment, freeways and great neighborhoods.

Cypress Waters is one of the largest rental projects planned for North Texas since the construction of the 337-acre Village apartment development in Dallas. Started in the 1960s, the Village now has more than 7,300 rental units. Greg Willett, vice president of Carrollton-based apartment analyst MPF Research, said Cypress Waters’ first phase is the largest apartment project under construction in North Texas.
“There are only a handful of developments around the country” this large, he said. “Usually you can’t get a site that will accommodate something like that.
“And you have to have the staying power to do it over a decade or more — you can’t do it all at once.”
Billingsley plans to add to its new Cypress Waters development as quickly as possible.
“The question will be how fast can we grow,” Billingsley said. “We will start the development of the second phase at the end of the first — they will be rolling right into each other.

Good luck house hunting. No matter where you buy do your own research.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:27 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,562,686 times
While I still don't agree that the impact on Coppell will be negative no matter what, I do think Lucy Billingsley is a piece of work. Sh*** work.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Hi Ritholtz,
“There are only a handful of developments around the country” this large, he said. “Usually you can’t get a site that will accommodate something like that.
“And you have to have the staying power to do it over a decade or more — you can’t do it all at once.”
Billingsley plans to add to its new Cypress Waters development as quickly as possible.
“The question will be how fast can we grow,” Billingsley said. “We will start the development of the second phase at the end of the first — they will be rolling right into each other.

Good luck house hunting. No matter where you buy do your own research.
Hi Scream,
Thanks for the detailed information about this project. We are very deep into our option contract. We are exhausted most of the contingencies. Hoping that, we will be keep feeding into Coppell side of schools even after the rezoning.

You are right about bond sale. There is going to be a extra tax. I did speak to people in CISD. They are planning to build a new elementary school in cypress waters development. I asked them why they are calling it as new elementary in valley ranch in the flyer. I reminded her, cypress waters development is in Dallas and not in Valley Ranch, Irving. Not sure their intentions of calling everything as valley ranch neighborhood.

I am really not sure why she is more concerned about non district students in Coppell city. They are opening enrollment to some non district areas in Coppell city to fill up some elementary schools in north side. Same time there is a bond sale to build more schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas