Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 AM

24 posts, read 56,030 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I was hoping to get some inside scoop on some apartments in Uptown/ Oak Lawn area. I currently want to be close to 35 since my work is in Irving, but I still want to live in Dallas.

I honestly don't want to spend too much on rent probably around 800 would be optimal (but the less the better for a 1 bed 1 bath). I'm looking for a good quality apartment in a good neighborhood (it doesn't have to be fancy with hardwood and granite counter tops.

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated! I am only 22 and will be living by myself for the first time!

I currently reside in the Village but the traffic is too much and I would like to be closer to 35 to make the commute easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 08:24 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,560,176 times
We just finished scouring the area for apartments. Would have LOVED to be in that area, but our "family" - the two of us, plus animals - need more square footage than that area provided (esp. at the prices for 2+ bedrooms in that area). I would think your price range for a 1 bedroom is somewhat reasonable - there are literally dozens of choices!

Since you already live in the Metroplex, I'd suggest researching online (apartments.com, apartmentguide.com, apartmentfinder.com, etc), then use your spare time to actually visit the places you narrow your search down to.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:46 PM

24 posts, read 56,030 times
I was hoping to find more of a recommendation since all the apartments I've been at have been recommended by someone that has lived there and it turned out great.

I honestly don't trust most of the online reviews since some of them seem to be fake and some do not address some issues such as electricity (insulation wise), sound, parking.

I've been using zillow, hotpads, and truila. I've used Apartmentreviews.com to look at the reviews but I will use some of the links you've provided as well!

Thank you!

Old 12-03-2012, 02:08 PM

122 posts, read 222,575 times
I lived at 5225 Maple Ave for a year and really liked them. I have lived in other places in Oak Lawn and Uptown but this one was great for the access to 35 that you desire.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:11 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,226,354 times
benvwin, I wanted to respond earlier but your criteria of less than $800 and good quality left me not being sure. There's probably not a lot of apartments in your price range that haven't been well used. Sure they may be maintained but will they still hold the value for your criteria.

I'd suggest you head over to the neighborhood and drive the streets. For complexes, go inside and about pricing. On the north side of Lemmon there may be signs in the yards. Make the call, ask questions. There are several buildings of a multi-unit nature that may not the quality you seek but will probably have tenants of a quality you're not going to find in many of the 'destination' apartment complexes. They're not listing to attract bidders. They're there for people looking for a certain lifestyle.

Oak Lawn Blvd heads right to I-35. If there's a problem, an easy alternate is up Lemmon to Mockingbird or on to NWHwy.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:12 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,491,831 times
The $700-$800 price range is disappearing quick around here! The rental rates keep going up. I second 5225 Maple. I've heard nothing but good things about them. Piazza Siena on Cedar Springs is in your budget but I haven't heard good things about them. Everyone says the walls are paper thin but they look nice to me. There are lots of little places along Bowser and Holland but they usually just stick a sign in the yard, and they're hit or miss on the inside from what I've seen. The Argyle on Oak Lawn Ave is a nice older building. It has limited parking but everyone I've visited there really liked living there. Sometimes you can get an efficiency in the design district under $800 but I haven't heard anyone find a rate that low in a while. Call the Camden Design district for their current rates. I don't think any of the others go that low anymore. Hope this helps.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:07 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,331,681 times
The apartments on the lot directly west of Eatzi's on Rawlins (to Eatzi's left if you're looking at the front entrance) should be in your price range if they have any openings. I forget the name but it's an orange stucco building. Have several girlfriend who lived there a few years back, one after the next.

You won't get into Uptown for $700-800 but Oak Lawn - especially if you're ok with living on a "dodgier" block- should be possible.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:24 PM

490 posts, read 651,056 times
We live at Camden Design District and like it very much. I don't know that you will find a 1 BR for $800 though. All you can do is ask. We pay 1450 for a 2 bedroom and that's on the cheap side.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:38 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,226,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The apartments on the lot directly west of Eatzi's on Rawlins (to Eatzi's left if you're looking at the front entrance) should be in your price range if they have any openings. I forget the name but it's an orange stucco building. Have several girlfriend who lived there a few years back, one after the next.

You won't get into Uptown for $700-800 but Oak Lawn - especially if you're ok with living on a "dodgier" block- should be possible.
The Lincoln Court Apartments

I lived there a few years before buying condo on Holland in '01. Great apartments. Secure gates, underground parking, apt style stack w/d in the smallest apt.

The A-1 One Br 570 SqFt* $920 < from current website

Was great for morning after, easy walk to EatZi's for migas and a hot brew.

I used the underground parking for roller blading

Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,491,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
The Lincoln Court Apartments

I lived there a few years before buying condo on Holland in '01. Great apartments. Secure gates, underground parking, apt style stack w/d in the smallest apt.

The A-1 One Br 570 SqFt* $920 < from current website

Was great for morning after, easy walk to EatZi's for migas and a hot brew.

I used the underground parking for roller blading
Yeah the lincoln court is such a great location too bad they are so expensive now. They are perfect if you go out to the bars a lot.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 05-13-2015 at 12:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: