Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 09:00 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times

Advertisements

So what is the park & ride situation coming from Frisco? I am coming in to visit family this weekend. Want to drive in to about Bachman or Love Field, park & ride the green line to the fair, ride back to the car, then drive to have dinner near downtown. Is it feasible to park at the station? Says there are only 300-500 parking spaces at each station that has parking. Will all that fill up on Saturday morning? Trying to save a little cash on parking, and of course- 3 year olds love trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 12:19 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,217,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
So what is the park & ride situation coming from Frisco? I am coming in to visit family this weekend. Want to drive in to about Bachman or Love Field, park & ride the green line to the fair, ride back to the car, then drive to have dinner near downtown. Is it feasible to park at the station? Says there are only 300-500 parking spaces at each station that has parking. Will all that fill up on Saturday morning? Trying to save a little cash on parking, and of course- 3 year olds love trains.
DART.org - Ride DART to the State Fair of Texas®

Old 09-26-2012, 03:05 PM

506 posts, read 2,149,933 times
Riding a DART train is the best and easiest way to get to the fair. It'll drop you off and pick you up directly in front of the entrance and it's inexpensive. For my entire life we always drove over there, fought traffic and parked on a marginal side street in somebody's yard, the whole time worrying about our safety and that of our car. We rode DART last year for the first time and will do it from now on. The trains were full of people going to fair and everyone was clean and nice. Go to DART's website to see the routes. I think we had to change trains in downtown Dallas but it was easy and well marked.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:00 PM

31 posts, read 67,638 times
Thanks for all the great info. Does the Texas State Fair ever have ride armbands (where you pay one price and ride unlimited rides all day)? If not, seems like rides could get very expensive with some thrill rides costing 10 tickets or more. We do love rides!

Old 09-26-2012, 05:05 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,864,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudeleven View Post
Thanks for all the great info. Does the Texas State Fair ever have ride armbands (where you pay one price and ride unlimited rides all day)? If not, seems like rides could get very expensive with some thrill rides costing 10 tickets or more. We do love rides!
No wristbands for the rides.

It CAN get expensive for the rides. On DR PEPPER Tuesdays, an empty DR PEPPER can will get you in for $5 and most rides (not thrill rides or Texas Star or some others) are only 5 coupons.

Get 2012 State Fair of Texas deals and discounts here | www.pegasusnews.com | Dallas/Fort Worth

Old 09-26-2012, 11:03 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,455,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Have you decided exactly where you would be having dinner? The reason I ask is becuse you pass right by the West End coming and going on the green line. You could easily jump off @ West End station, go have dinner and save that gas that you would use to drive back into town...And speaking of Dinner...Im normally full as a tick when I leave the fair(soooooo much food to try).Going out to eat would be the last thing on my mind(probably yours too). Have fun!!!

Old 09-27-2012, 04:46 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,913 times
There's a little Italian restaurant at West End Station that is REALLY good. And the name escapes me now. And BBQ, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Have you decided exactly where you would be having dinner? The reason I ask is becuse you pass right by the West End coming and going on the green line. You could easily jump off @ West End station, go have dinner and save that gas that you would use to drive back into town...And speaking of Dinner...Im normally full as a tick when I leave the fair(soooooo much food to try).Going out to eat would be the last thing on my mind(probably yours too). Have fun!!!

Old 09-27-2012, 09:40 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Thinking about Avila's. We're going to the fair in the late morning to about 4, probably will have some semblance of lunch there @ the fair.

I'm going to trust that 300-500 parking spots at each station is enough to allow me to park at one of them and not somewhere away from it.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:06 AM

127 posts, read 259,315 times
Victim not consoled by DART
Quote:
DALLAS -
A Dallas woman on her way to work last week was robbed by two thugs on a Dallas Area Rapid Transit train. While DART acknowledges the incident happened, it said the trains are safer now.
I've ridden the DART to and from Mav's Games and the State Fair. I would say its "mostly safe" but you really need to keep your eyes open because it does go through some bad parts of town. For the State Fair and Events at the AA Center you have the crowds going in your favor. More people = less violent crime (watch your pockets though).

I know when I ride the DART and I am thankful to be legally carrying means to protect myself and my family as we travel even though its "mostly safe."

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Taking the Dart is much safer than trying to find parking in the surrounding area and walking in.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:48 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,455,827 times
Even when you park in a random yard and walk to the gates it's 99.9999% safe. There are thousands upon thousands of people doing the exact same thing as you. It's not like you are walking down a loooong dark alley in South Dallas alone.....C'mon people. And just because some of the apartment buildings in close areas appear to be old and somewhat run down doesnt always mean high crime. Its just a poor neighborhood with regular folks tryna make ends meet. The reason people lable this area as high crime or dangerous is because they cant relate to the people of that community.The same as when a poor person drives through a nice part of town they feel out of place or like they are a garaunteed target for police.(this is somewhat true but not generally).I think the DANGER factor for that area around Fair Park is way overblown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas