Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:13 PM

786 posts, read 4,732,860 times

Advertisements

I love to go to State Fairs. I understand that the Texas State Fair is one of the largest in the country. How is it? Is it as nice as it is popular?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 01:42 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,978 times
I see you're from VA... I just moved from the Richmond area, and that's the only state fair that I can compare it to.

The one here in Dallas is absolutely huge compared to the one in VA. I'd estimate it to be about 4-6 times the size. We only spent about 5 hours and didn't see much of the fair in that amount of time. They have the racing pigs here as well, so that's a big plus

Also, they have a car show going on at the fair. It gives you something else to do between eating fried food and almost losing the fried food on the rides.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:46 PM

443 posts, read 1,566,943 times
the best state fair I've ever been to, but thats not a long list. I've heard alot of media in this area suggesting it's one of the best, but I'm sure they're at least a little preferential. At the very least it's the best in a five state area, and I can't imagine one being much nicer than the Texas State fair. It's a great experience, come and see us Try to come on a weekday or a none football weekend, gets real crowded on those football weekends.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:52 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
I've heard it's the largest. It is wonderful. Rides, great food, games, exhibits, animals, shows, beer. It runs for 3 weeks starting the end of Sept. Go several times. Bring your big check book. It's expensive.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:01 PM

670 posts, read 2,999,027 times
Other than Texas I've only been to the fairs they hold at some racetrack down in San Diego County when I was a kid. It seemed huge at the time and it is big from what I understand, but I have been to the Texas State Fair probably 3x in 10 years and never seen it all. I loved it though, although I'm partial to all the livestock stuff not rides and food (but the fair food there is good--and calorie free NOT).

Old 08-03-2007, 02:15 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
BigTex.com

The dates for The State Fair of Texas for 2007 are
Sept 28 - Oct 21

I've been going since I was a kid and have not been to any other states "state fair" but have been past a few of their fairgrounds during non-fair times and they seemed small compared to Texas. We go during the week on one of the kids "fair days" off from school. The school kids all get a free ticket to the fair but there are special promotions on certain days of the week to get in free or much cheaper. Like one day is bring a Dr Pepper can and get in for something like $6. Another day is 1/2 price on most of the rides (this is something since the Texas Star ferris wheel is rather pricey). Not only are there TONS of rides for all ages, the midway games and all of the animal and livestock shows but there are concerts, exhibits, etc. You could spend an entire day from open to close and still not see and do everything. The car show is in two buildings along w/ a huge area outside for all of the car makers to show off their new models. There is also a railroad museum that is kind of small that one can visit. The dollhouse exhibit is alos neat for those w/ little girls. Then the butter sculpture and freebie's given out in the food & fiber building (Bordens home made yeast rolls, YUMMIE!). Of course the obligatory lunch is a Flechers Corny Dog hot out of the fryer.

If you want to visit and not have to worry about parking or how to get there then many of the DART park & ride locations offer nonstop service to the Fair.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:43 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
I try to go 2-3 times and I still don't see it all. I have never missed a fair since I was in a stroller. I have great memories shared with my family and all my friends going back to "Fair Days" from elementary and high school. Anywhere you look can prompt a flood of memories.

As the old song said: "don't miss it, don't even be late!"

Old 08-03-2007, 02:44 PM

506 posts, read 2,149,362 times
"Our State Fair is a great state fair...don't miss it, don't even be late!"Now I'll sit back to see if anybody gets this...

Old 08-03-2007, 02:45 PM

506 posts, read 2,149,362 times
Lakewooder and I posted at exactly the same thing at the same time - lol!

Old 08-03-2007, 02:48 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Ha, great minds as they say...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas