Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 03:58 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,599,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
Why?

For me, it was the bang-for-the-buck syndrome. I bought a brand new 4000sf home right across the firewheel golf course + a medium commute. It had a two story dramatic entrance, curved stairs, a loft, a media room, a game room and was in a subdivision with a olympic sized swimming pool + party/guest house.

For the same price, I would have gotten a small, old 1600sf house on a 150x50 lot in the M-streets, complete with creaky floors and 8ft ceilings.

Once you see what a fantastic house you can afford in the suburbs, it is easy to be tempted to ignore the disadvantages. Also, there is the group mentality that those places are _the_ place to be (notice all those "I am moving to DFW and want to buy a house in Allen/Frisco/Mc.Kinney" posts from people who have never been here. Word of mouth in action).

I lived in my 4000sf house for 6 years, got tired of the commute, got tired of the utility bills, got indifferent to the dramatic entrance and 10ft ceilings, sold it and moved to a small 1600sf mid-century modern in Lake Highlands (I know, just slightly more attractive than the suburbs ) instead. As a plus, the commute is <5 miles and ideal for riding a bike.
Somewhat similar story here:

I used to work in McKinney and lived in Allen. That was an easy commute!!! But then, I changed jobs and worked in Deep Ellum. Did that drive for 2 years - steadily increasing my hatred for the drive every day. Now I live in Lake Highlands and drive to Deep Ellum. 8 miles, all on Abrams... I go weeks before seeing central xpwy sometimes! We're relocating our office now though, but the new drive is an 8 mile drive in the other direction, so it's a wash for me.

I have to say that the newness of Allen wore off after a while. What I love about Dallas is the variety of restaurants. Lots of locally owned, unique places to eat. In Allen, I had my choice of chains. I could go to Applebee's or Chili's or Fridays or... you get the point. Now, I can go to Il Sole, Toulouse, Momo's, Patrizio's, Tony's, Legal Grounds... the list goes on. Much more interesting food - and food is one of my favorite things. If I'm not at home, I'm eating. Plano does have a Patrizio's, so there's atleast one good restaurant up there! I used to go there quite often when I lived up that way.

In LH, we also have awesome mature trees. I absolutely love our (4) oaks trees. Shade is a wonderful thing in our hot summers!

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 04:01 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,178,892 times
Hey I have 10 foot (almost) ceilings in my Craftsman Bungalow near the Lakewood Theater. Old is good for me and I don't hear many creaks but I like to think it's the guy who grew up in the house when I hear one. His family moved in the home in 1917 and he was very good friends with my best friend's father and they went to Grace Methodist and WW together. We bought it from him before he passed away about 20 years ago. He loved the house and presented me with a video, old pictures, blueprints and all the documents related to the house (quite a stack).

Old 10-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 2 days ago)

52,706 posts, read 47,996,677 times
Default Austin Roads

Austin still has some issues it has to work out. MoPac, for example, as well as I-35, has high volume. I don't know what the word is on possible reconstruction in the "two decks" area. Anyone know anything on that?

Old 10-04-2007, 04:49 PM

Frisco mayor pushes widening of busy road
03:18 PM CDT on Thursday, October 4, 2007
By STEVE STOLER / WFAA-TV
WFAA-TV
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/d....139d22546.html (broken link)

It is a living nightmare - tempers in traffic and during the morning and evening rush, you're moving slow, if you're moving at all.

Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted articles

Last edited by Yac; 12-13-2007 at 05:34 AM..

Old 10-04-2007, 04:50 PM

Two hours from Frisco to St. Paul's? OMG.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 2 days ago)

52,706 posts, read 47,996,677 times
Default Toll Bridge Project

Eldorado Parkway is in the process of being widened. It's part of the 13-mile Lewisville Lake Toll Bridge corridor project, connecting Swisher Rd. in Corinth/Hickory Creek with Eldorado in Little Elm and Frisco. The bridge will be finished in 2009. Eldorado? I would say shortly thereafter.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:08 PM

670 posts, read 3,000,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Two hours from Frisco to St. Paul's? OMG.
Oh I believe it. It took my mom on an hour to get from 121/Coit to the baseball field in Little Elm....and lol it's not because she's a bad driver

Old 10-04-2007, 08:16 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,756,455 times
Tolls, tolls, tolls. Don't the people up there get tired of being nickle-and-dimed on every road?

Old 10-05-2007, 09:29 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,288,892 times
Yes, but sometimes it's a necessary evil. I work in west Dallas and live in Tarrant County and coming south on 35 and Loop 12 to go home is extremely maddening! It's very slow going. It gets somewhat better (sometimes) as Loop 12 splits from 35 but then it slows down again until almost to 30. I quit taking 30 and started using 183 but it can be just as bad. So this is the reason that I have been using the George Bush turnpike. I'll gladly pay the toll just to be spared the stress of that traffic. Although, they recently raised it from 75 cents to a dollar!

Old 10-05-2007, 09:54 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,756,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
traffic. Although, they recently raised it from 75 cents to a dollar!
So that makes it dimed-and-dollared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas