Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 02:06 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times

Advertisements

We just spent a couple weeks in the Vail/Avon/Beaver Creek/Edwards/Eagle CO area. Every time we go I'm amazed how efficient the area's traffic circles/roundabouts are.

It'd be interesting to know:

1. Are TCs more time efficient than light controlled intersections? If so when?

2. Are TCs more green? If so when? At idle every auto and truck gets exactly 0 mpg.

2.1. Are there time advantages for drivers? If so when?

3. It's certainly nice to head off somewhere and not be stopped by lights.

Crud......meant to place this in the, "Texas" area. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 07:51 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,935,144 times
I'm seeing more of them in TX, but fighting the "exotic/weird" factor is difficult. They are definitely excellent at keeping traffic moving.

There are a couple things that concern me though -

1. Do they cause intersections do require more ROW?
2. It seems like pedestrians and cyclists would have difficulty crossing - the cars never stop. Of course, they're all over Europe where those travel modes are common, so there's obviously good workarounds.

Old 10-11-2021, 07:04 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,212,817 times
England and Scotland have few stop signs and stoplights because of roundabouts. When we took a road trip there we grew to appreciate them. They are starting to take hold in Fort Worth where there's even a double traffic circle now. I now get irritated when I am at an intersection that would function better with a roundabout.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:03 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,553,272 times
Roundabouts are best used when crossroads in an intersection have very similar levels of traffic. I’m guessing intersections where that would apply would have too low of traffic counts for roundabouts to make sense i.e. most major intersections in North Texas have roads with 4-6 lanes of through traffic and that would be complicated.

LocalPlanner brings up an interesting point. More ROW is likely to be needed with roundabouts which makes redoing existing intersections difficult and costly.

There’s a learning curve with roundabouts. There can also be community push back.

Roundabouts are more efficient in terms of reducing emissions and idling time. I’m not sure how well a congested roundabout would compare to a similarly congestion traffic signal.

Old 10-11-2021, 09:04 AM

729 posts, read 532,180 times
Traffic circles and Roundabouts are different.

https://external-preview.redd.it/xxt...t=mp4&c46265c2

Old 10-11-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Roundabouts are best used when crossroads in an intersection have very similar levels of traffic. I’m guessing intersections where that would apply would have too low of traffic counts for roundabouts to make sense i.e. most major intersections in North Texas have roads with 4-6 lanes of through traffic and that would be complicated.

LocalPlanner brings up an interesting point. More ROW is likely to be needed with roundabouts which makes redoing existing intersections difficult and costly.

There’s a learning curve with roundabouts. There can also be community push back.

Roundabouts are more efficient in terms of reducing emissions and idling time. I’m not sure how well a congested roundabout would compare to a similarly congestion traffic signal.
Good post.

So far as the similar levels of traffic thought, it seems the opposite holds in some situations. Years ago traffic would regularly back up onto I-70 as people waited for lights in Frisco (Frisco exit to Breckenridge), Vail, Avon etc. now all of those exits are managed via traffic circles and it seems the backup problems are gone or at least much better. I'd bet for hours at a time those circles manage 75-25 splits of traffic with the 75 being people headed west on 70 exiting. Further, all of these exits headed west to ski involve exiting and then turning left under 70. Honestly, within the local context these traffic circles seem to work well.

Old 10-11-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I'm seeing more of them in TX, but fighting the "exotic/weird" factor is difficult. They are definitely excellent at keeping traffic moving.

There are a couple things that concern me though -

1. Do they cause intersections do require more ROW?
2. It seems like pedestrians and cyclists would have difficulty crossing - the cars never stop. Of course, they're all over Europe where those travel modes are common, so there's obviously good workarounds.

So far as your point 2. Edwards, Avon etc. are covered with cyclists and pedestrians this time of year......neither group seemed to have any issue with local roundabouts.

Per your point 1. I'd guess yes.

Old 10-11-2021, 09:41 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,401,147 times
I don't really buy the 'right of way' requirements in DFW - our rights on way are generally way oversized, though I'm sure there are some locations where it's a little tighter.

I just think the traffic groups are not very innovative, very conservative towards the rulebook and the the lazy 4 way stop or a wild overengineered freeway-esque design are preferred.

There is a 4 way stop crying out for a roundabout Galatyn & Performance in Richardson, and there are a few others nearby so why they didn't do that intersection as one I'll never know.

Old 10-11-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I don't really buy the 'right of way' requirements in DFW - our rights on way are generally way oversized, though I'm sure there are some locations where it's a little tighter.

I just think the traffic groups are not very innovative, very conservative towards the rulebook and the the lazy 4 way stop or a wild overengineered freeway-esque design are preferred.

There is a 4 way stop crying out for a roundabout Galatyn & Performance in Richardson, and there are a few others nearby so why they didn't do that intersection as one I'll never know.

Another spot where a roundabout would have saved thousands of gallons of gas and who knows how many wasted hours the last couple of years........1385 and Fishtrap in Prosper.

Old 10-11-2021, 10:31 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,212,817 times
The roundabouts in England are much smaller and there aren't any problems. Ours are bigger than they need to be often to add something decorative in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas