Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:38 AM

95 posts, read 563,858 times

Advertisements

From what I know about my friends in New York City it appears that they and their families belong to an upper-echelon, wealthy social class of people who all live in uptown Manhattan throughout the year and then retreat to the Hamptons in the summer. I was wondering if the same type of social dynamic existed in Chicago in which there is a strong wealth concentration in certain parts of downtown, or is this an NYC phenomenon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 11:57 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
In my experience, the social scene is a big deal in NY, Chicago, SF, Houston, Dallas, Boston and Philadelphia.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:56 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar08 View Post
From what I know about my friends in New York City it appears that they and their families belong to an upper-echelon, wealthy social class of people who all live in uptown Manhattan throughout the year and then retreat to the Hamptons in the summer. I was wondering if the same type of social dynamic existed in Chicago in which there is a strong wealth concentration in certain parts of downtown, or is this an NYC phenomenon.

That's a big generalization: there are simply not enough houses in The Hamptons to accommodate the entire NY or even Manhattan population.
There are those who have and those who have less and even much, much less. The major difference about social circles in New York and Chicago is that New York is still more affluent, older and has a multitude of celebrities living in the city therefore "society" in Chicago is not the same as "society" in New York. But saying that everyone in New York has a house in Hamptons is a non-sense.
Most of New Yorkers are much more "down-to-earth" working class people that most of the people outside of the city can imagine.
Another thing about New York "society" is that as opposed to other cities NY socialites and celebrities often live right in the city and not in some suburban estates, shielded by high fences and iron gates. They walk the same streets and shop in the same stores. There is something really democratic about New York. But where else the mayor is a real life billionaire who works pro publico bono

Last edited by dementor; 03-03-2009 at 01:31 PM..

Old 03-03-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
That's a big generalization: there are simply not enough houses in The Hamptons to accommodate the entire NY or even Manhattan population.
There are those who have and those who have less and even much, much less. The major difference about social circles in New York and Chicago is that New York is still more affluent, older and has a multitude of celebrities living in the city therefor "society" in Chicago is not the same as "society" in New York.
Ive found that 'celebrity' is actually looked down upon by high society types.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:04 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
There are those who have and those who have less and even much, much less. The major difference about social circles in New York and Chicago is that New York is still more affluent, older and has a multitude of celebrities living in the city therefor "society" in Chicago is not the same as "society" in New York.
Timeshares, dahhling, timeshares.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Timeshares, dahhling, timeshares.
AKA summer retreats.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:40 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Ive found that 'celebrity' is actually looked down upon by high society types.
Well, its a big generalization and there are many society circles. There have always been a big convergence between celebrities and high society: celebrities eventually become high society and high society types become celebrities. Examples? The Governator and Paris Hilton.
Ultimately celebrities, especially those extremely succesful financially become part of society unless they really try not to...
Then again, you want your kids to go to the best schools and you want access to the best healthcare and real estate and this is where being connected or part of society, as you will, becomes useful.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:58 PM

95 posts, read 563,858 times
Quote:
there are simply not enough houses in The Hamptons to accommodate the entire NY or even Manhattan population
I wasn't talking about all of Ny or Manhattan, I was speaking of the Upper-East side social scene specifically, and I hear most of them do have houses in the Hamptons. I was mainly wondering is there a similar social network existing in Chicago especially amongst those living in the city NOT the suburbs.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:36 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,747 times
Need to define "society" vs wealth....many in rubber-chicken dinner "high society" aren't the wealthiest (or smartest) guys

Much of Manhattan (both UES and 15 Central Park West) is dominated by the financial industry; most hedge fund and private equity titans are self-made guys, often Jewish or random whites or Indian-Americans, from middle-class roots, often originally raised in NYC suburbs or from various suburbs all over US; many don't socialize w/non-financial industry people

Chicago wealth in GoldCoast or LP is dominated by both financiers (hedgies and investment bankers) and industrialists...again, lots of self-made money, often raised in middle-class suburbs from all over Midwest or elsewhere, which often doesn't socialize w/those outside their industries....and given Chicago's location, many have summer (and winter) wkend houses in LA or Malibu or Montecito

Many of wealthiest in NYC or Chicago despise the charity dinner social nonsense of "socialites"; most are workaholics and prefer business dinners or other events where they can talk business w/peers (who often are also current neighbors, good friends, former college classmates, former colleagues at same I-bank early in career, etc)

Old 03-03-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Need to define "society" vs wealth....many in rubber-chicken dinner "high society" aren't the wealthiest (or smartest) guys
for once I agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.