Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 12:07 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,192,873 times

Advertisements

Jenny Block: Under Construction: Chihuly at the Dallas Arboretum

"...The exhibit has been in talks for ten years and in full-on planning stages for two. Now the garden is blooming with new flowers chosen specifically for this installation; armatures crafted to support the sculptures; and glorious volumes of glass in shapes and colors that look to be from a world of sci-fi cinema.

Sculptures are being installed in more than 15 locations throughout the 66-acre grounds, and visitors can see them from May 5 -- Nov. 5, 2012"

"...One thing you can't question is Dallasites commitment to art, to Chihuly and to the Arboretum.

And rightly so, "Chihuly at the Dallas Arboretum" is big shakes. It's the first of its kind in the five state region of Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Arkansas. Three of the pieces in the show have never been seen before"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 12:17 PM

50,403 posts, read 64,119,967 times
You are in for a treat. I've seen many of his exhibits as public installations, in museums, hotels, and even at his boathouse in Seattle. They are so beautiful and exciting to see.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:08 PM

446 posts, read 1,007,431 times
Unfortunately they have an absolutely crummy plan for parking, which includes putting cars on the pristine blackland prairie at Winfrey Point. Just got an email from the Arboretum (we are members) and about half of the information on there was about parking.

You really have to wonder whether this is the best place for such a large exhibit, and/or whether it's not better to limit attendance if you can't accommodate the number of cars. This has been mishandled to say the least.

I will be attending, but will get there by bike. What could be better than that? Too bad there's not an entrance off the lake side.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:39 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,490,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
Unfortunately they have an absolutely crummy plan for parking, which includes putting cars on the pristine blackland prairie at Winfrey Point. Just got an email from the Arboretum (we are members) and about half of the information on there was about parking.

You really have to wonder whether this is the best place for such a large exhibit, and/or whether it's not better to limit attendance if you can't accommodate the number of cars. This has been mishandled to say the least.

I will be attending, but will get there by bike. What could be better than that? Too bad there's not an entrance off the lake side.
I agree with you, Debtex - I can't believe that a place that is supposed to embrace nature is thinking this is the best option.

We live right down Lakeland, so we'll bike it or cab it....I've been wanting to see this exhibit...especially the night viewing!!!!

Old 05-01-2012, 04:57 PM

686 posts, read 2,438,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
I agree with you, Debtex - I can't believe that a place that is supposed to embrace nature is thinking this is the best option.

We live right down Lakeland, so we'll bike it or cab it....I've been wanting to see this exhibit...especially the night viewing!!!!
I agree with both of you. This parking plan is ridiculous, especially coming from the Arboretum and what they are supposedly all about.

Arboretum to operate parking at Winfrey Point | Advocate Magazine

Old 05-03-2012, 07:41 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,490,199 times
Here's a bit that was just on Kera.
Citizens Mount Petition To Prevent Arboretum Parking In White Rock's Natural Areas | KERA News (http://keranews.org/post/citizens-mount-petition-prevent-arboretum-parking-white-rocks-natural-areas?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_ca mpaign=Feed%3A+kera-northtexasnews+%28keranews.org+-+Latest+News%29 - broken link)

Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,624,494 times
Did I see a headline while watching Channel 8 this morning that a judge just ruled that the Arboretum may NOT use Winfrey Point for parking? Getting interesting.....

Old 05-03-2012, 10:02 AM

446 posts, read 1,007,431 times
Yes, a restraining order was filed and granted, so they are now not able to use that prairie land at all. Thing is, this is a temporary restraining order but the Chihuly exhibit is a 6-month gig. Not to mention that next year they're opening an enormous addition in the new Children's Garden. So something's gotta give on this.

They haven't done enough planning for parking, essentially. They are going to need several parking garages (not lots, garages) and none of the plans currently include that because it's been deemed too expensive (compared to using public lands and funds, I guess it would be.) The community is fairly unsympathetic, given that they (a) seem to have pots of money and (b) haven't done a single thing to encourage other ways to get there, such as bikes or walking. The gate on the lake side is closed all year long, with the single exception of the Tour des Fleurs. The only way to gain entrance to the Arboretum is to come in off Garland, which is pedestrian UNfriendly.

Moderator cut: not permitted

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-04-2012 at 12:47 AM..

Old 05-03-2012, 09:40 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,465,371 times
I wonder what kind of emergency plan do they have in place for bad weather like if we get a bad hail storm?

Old 05-04-2012, 09:27 AM

15,543 posts, read 10,531,284 times
Has anybody ever taken the bus over from the blue line? I'm thinking about just calling a cab too, it sounds like the hassle free way to go.

edit - after looking into it, I am going to take a cab.

Last edited by elan; 05-04-2012 at 10:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas