Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:58 AM

15 posts, read 26,686 times

Advertisements

They may need to just garage over their existing lot. A floor or two underground and maybe 4 or 5 above. Of course neighbors will complain, but there are lots of good trees to hide it, plus they could go with ivy or some kind of screen covering that will support different plant and flower life. Doesn't have to be ugly or unsightly. I saw the article about something like this costing around $16 million, but it may be an investment that's worth it to continue their growing popularity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 10:36 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,640,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I wonder what kind of emergency plan do they have in place for bad weather like if we get a bad hail storm?

Arboretum website says the exhibit is strong but glass does break. They plan to work with the design team to quickly repair anything that might be damaged.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:20 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,709,843 times
Chihuly and Thomas Kinkade are kindred spirits.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:47 PM

19,908 posts, read 18,186,485 times
Default Arboretum parking what gives?

I keep reading about the seemingly sacred "blackland prairie" parcel that The Dallas Arboretum would like to either allow people to park on as is or pave for permanent parking. And lots of people are in a tizzle. These people remind me of Sierra Club members who rarely leave the city. Do these folks not know that North Texas sports thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands more square miles of blackland prairie? Hint - it ain't that special.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:33 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,709,843 times
To the OP...Why is it so hard to understand, that opening up this area to parking, invites the whole White Rock Lake area up to parking? Maybe you are of the developing type(Park City inhabitant) and see no place for tradition and nature, but a lot of us who live outside of the bubble see things....how can I say, "differently?"

Old 05-06-2012, 10:00 PM

256 posts, read 448,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I keep reading about the seemingly sacred "blackland prairie" parcel that The Dallas Arboretum would like to either allow people to park on as is or pave for permanent parking. And lots of people are in a tizzle. These people remind me of Sierra Club members who rarely leave the city. Do these folks not know that North Texas sports thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands more square miles of blackland prairie? Hint - it ain't that special.
It's not that it's sacred blackland prairie. It's that Winfrey Point is a lovely and scenic little parcel of land next to our landmark urban lake and, er, it might be rather nice for everyone who enjoys the natural beauty of the lake if it weren't turned into a parking lot.

I do believe you're the first one who is not related to the arboretum or the parks dept that I've heard say, "Eh. Big whoop." Most people seem to be appalled.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:16 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,561,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Do these folks not know that North Texas sports thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands more square miles of blackland prairie? Hint - it ain't that special.
Actually, no, there isn't. Just because land is undeveloped doesn't mean it is still untouched prairie land. The vast vast majority of "open" land in Texas is now used for agricultural purposes, and does NOT support the native grasses and wildlife that was plentiful in Texas many many years ago.

From the Native Prairies Association of Texas:

"The imperiled tallgrass prairies of Texas need our help now: out of the original 20 million acres of beautiful Texas tallgrass prairie, less than 1% now remains due to suburban sprawl, plowing for row-crop agriculture, and improper overgrazing during the last 150 years."

"Owing in large part to the tallgrass prairie’s rich soils, more than 99 percent of this ecosystem early Texans experienced has been destroyed or fundamentally altered, making the tallgrass prairie the most-endangered large ecosystem in North America."

"In addition to the native plant communities of the tallgrass prairies, conservation of tallgrass prairie is needed as habitat for wildlife such as grassland birds and native pollinators. Grassland birds are experiencing the greatest declines of all bird groups, and to save the grassland birds we need to protect and restore their habitat: prairie."

Old 05-06-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
Actually, no, there isn't. Just because land is undeveloped doesn't mean it is still untouched prairie land. The vast vast majority of "open" land in Texas is now used for agricultural purposes, and does NOT support the native grasses and wildlife that was plentiful in Texas many many years ago.

From the Native Prairies Association of Texas:

"The imperiled tallgrass prairies of Texas need our help now: out of the original 20 million acres of beautiful Texas tallgrass prairie, less than 1% now remains due to suburban sprawl, plowing for row-crop agriculture, and improper overgrazing during the last 150 years."

"Owing in large part to the tallgrass prairie’s rich soils, more than 99 percent of this ecosystem early Texans experienced has been destroyed or fundamentally altered, making the tallgrass prairie the most-endangered large ecosystem in North America."

"In addition to the native plant communities of the tallgrass prairies, conservation of tallgrass prairie is needed as habitat for wildlife such as grassland birds and native pollinators. Grassland birds are experiencing the greatest declines of all bird groups, and to save the grassland birds we need to protect and restore their habitat: prairie."
That's a sales pitch.

What's your favorite tall grass? Mine is Johnson Grass.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona72 View Post
It's not that it's sacred blackland prairie. It's that Winfrey Point is a lovely and scenic little parcel of land next to our landmark urban lake and, er, it might be rather nice for everyone who enjoys the natural beauty of the lake if it weren't turned into a parking lot.

I do believe you're the first one who is not related to the arboretum or the parks dept that I've heard say, "Eh. Big whoop." Most people seem to be appalled.
Lots of people are way too easily appalled IMO. Where would you like for everyone to park?

Old 05-06-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
To the OP...Why is it so hard to understand, that opening up this area to parking, invites the whole White Rock Lake area up to parking? Maybe you are of the developing type(Park City inhabitant) and see no place for tradition and nature, but a lot of us who live outside of the bubble see things....how can I say, "differently?"
Save the indignation. If you live in the city you are pro development by default.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas