Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:59 PM

224 posts, read 527,656 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I was just curious how busy (foot traffic-wise) Uptown Dallas/McKinney Ave is compared to, say....Michigan Ave in Chicago?? Does it get a lot busier at night or does it die down? Are the streets crowded?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 09:05 PM

291 posts, read 674,575 times
I've only been to Chicago once to visit a good friend that lives there but there isn't a lot of foot traffic on McKinney Ave compared to Chicago. It's a lot for Dallas but it's not like there are more than a handful of people walking down the street at a time. I am a native NY'er and lived in Uptown when I first moved here 5 years ago and I would not describe the streets as ever being crowded. They were sometimes busy for Dallas around the lunch hour on weekdays or late at night from people walking from their car to the bar and that's about it. Everyone drives and so you don't see people just strolling too much.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:08 PM

285 posts, read 567,834 times
The streets of Uptown Dallas look downright empty relative to the likes of Michigan Avenue in Chicago.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:20 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,674 times
I am from Chicago, and moving to Dallas in 3 days, and I have to agree with the above comments.

Uptown Dallas is walkable, but there is also more parking lots etc there, enough to justify driving, plus the heat in the summer probably precludes people from actually walking around like we do here in the CHI.

And yes, on weekends, there tend to be people out bar hopping but not so much during the week.

Also, I would not try to compare Mckinney to Michigan ave, they are not really comparable streets. I would instead, compare Mckinney Ave to Clark Street in Chicago's Lincoln Park. I do not think that downtown Dallas has a street (yet) that can be compared to Michigan Ave. However, you are still not going to get quite as much foot traffic on Mckinney as you would on Clark Street. This is partially a function of the fact that in Chicago, people just love to walk, and also, because parking is so constrained here, that it doesnt make much sense to try to drive places.

This is one thing I will miss about Chicago when I get to Dallas! I dont care, Im excited to move anyway - looking forward to new adventures and exploring new neighborhoods!

Old 04-17-2012, 07:51 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
Uptown and Michigan Ave can't be compared- mostly because in Chicago (or NYC, DC, etc) people are walking out of necessity (no car or parking too difficult to mess with daily) and in Uptown, people are walking to recreational activities (bars, brunch / dinner, happy hour, light shopping) because they CAN, not because they NEED to. You'll rarely see people dressed for work walking in Uptown, but drive up & down McKinney or State Thomas after 5 or on the weekends and in nice weather, you'll see a good amount of people out. It's not the hurried "bustle" of Manhattan or downtown Chicago though- much more relaxed and never shoulder-to-shoulder (except TX-OU weekend and St Patty's Day!)

Old 04-17-2012, 01:13 PM

37 posts, read 30,400 times
Michigan Ave is more of a shopping district. Uptown is more of an entertainment district.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:57 PM

291 posts, read 674,575 times
Yeah, there isn't much shopping, if any, on McKinney Ave until you get up to the West Village.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:04 PM

37 posts, read 30,400 times
Even then, the only department store I can think of is Stanley Korshak

Old 04-21-2012, 07:30 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,674 times
Well, I arrived today! It was sunny and 75 today, and there were definitely people out walking around.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:26 PM

383 posts, read 733,078 times
Not so much at night. Parts of Uptown are smack next to a lot of Section 8 housing and all that comes with that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas