Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 01:02 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times

Advertisements

Just because you can get away with something doesn't mean you should. We have vehicle inspection and registration laws for a reason. Please follow them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 07:22 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,806,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Just because you can get away with something doesn't mean you should. We have vehicle inspection and registration laws for a reason. Please follow them.

Not to mention, waving good-bye to your car as it's being towed away can be a real downer to your day!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:53 AM

4 posts, read 4,289 times
I can tell my experience I move from Michigan to Texas and keep my plates to two years, I never had a problem with the police. I was also pulled over for for a broken light and still my plates was not an issue. I know some one said you can't get a Texas auto insurance policy without the car being registered here, that's not true I had two different policies here. I have since brought a new car with Texas plates.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:45 AM

871 posts, read 2,690,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
, because an inspection station typically won't inspect the vehicle until you have TX insurance, and I know for a fact you can't register the vehicle with out of state insurance. You have to have the TX policy in hand before they will even begin to start the registration process.
Both not true. I know first hand when I moved here I showed my CA insurance for the inspection, and a copy of my CA insurance policy when I registered here (had to be a copy of the policy, not the insurance card). I got the TX plates and stickers, and then that day I got a TX insurance policy.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:02 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,106,413 times
I just went through this process literally 3 days ago. You HAVE to have a TX insurance policy, simple as that. The reason is because some states are "No fault" states, and the clerk at the courthouse doesn't know which ones are or aren't. So, you are required to have TX insurance.

You got lucky by getting a clerk that didn't know the rules. As far as inspection goes, I said "typically," which is true. I myself have used my FL insurance to get my motorcycle inspection. When I went to inspect my car however, they said I needed a TX insurance policy, again, due to discrepancies between the insurance coverage between states.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:18 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,534,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Amen to that

Old 03-12-2012, 07:36 PM

931 posts, read 2,135,729 times
Until you get pulled over or have an accident. Go ahead an do the right thing or get a Texas car

Old 03-13-2012, 09:10 AM

11 posts, read 35,934 times
We moved here from Ohio and I never understood why Ohio never required state inspections. You should have seen some of the cars that were on the roads back home. You're living in Texas now and this state is more strict than most. Do the right thing and get the car inspected. The steering wheel problem may not even be an issue but you'll never know unless you get it checked.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:02 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,990,745 times
Default Yup

Once again I'm in luck! No OBD II on my stuff!

Old 03-14-2012, 10:32 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,376,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarin View Post
We moved here from Ohio and I never understood why Ohio never required state inspections. You should have seen some of the cars that were on the roads back home. You're living in Texas now and this state is more strict than most. Do the right thing and get the car inspected. The steering wheel problem may not even be an issue but you'll never know unless you get it checked.
I am from Ohio originally, and I remember that at one time, Ohio did have vehicle inspections, and if I remember correctly, you had to pay for it, too!!

That was back in the 90's, but I remember that the state legislature did away with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas