Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:58 AM

7 posts, read 44,465 times

Advertisements

I need to feel more confident about this move, I live in NYC and I get that Dallas doesnt have anywhere near the vibe but am open to all suggestions that you may have on easing into it as well as just general positive stuff about Dallas. We are moving as my husband has a great new job there in Irving but I am going to be a stay at home mom with a baby and need to know that I wont be bored out of my mind! Any thoughts on upscale preschools/daycares for 18months to 2 year olds are also welcome! Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 11:52 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
It is impossible to be bored unless you have zero initiative to make your life happen. You can find other mom groups at meetup.com

Old 02-01-2012, 11:55 AM

690 posts, read 1,729,004 times
Welcome to Texas.

Las Colinas is a nice area of Irving. It is centrally located to all your wants or needs.
Other people may suggest to look for housing in Southlake or Flower Mound.
You can find all types of day care centers/pre-K educational from "Creme De La Creme" to "Montessori" and vice a versa.
Once you have settled in check the blogs or google the items to see and do within the DFW area.
There are plenty of get together groups, visits to the park, or some sort of: yoga, pilates, tennis, aerobics. Whatever your cup of tea may be. Good luck

Last edited by RockyJoe817; 02-01-2012 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 02-01-2012, 11:56 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,682,539 times
What do you do on a daily basis in NYC as a stay at home mom of a baby?

This will give us a better idea of whether there's something similar to do in Dallas to keep you from being bored.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:19 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshah View Post
I need to feel more confident about this move, I live in NYC and I get that Dallas doesnt have anywhere near the vibe but am open to all suggestions that you may have on easing into it as well as just general positive stuff about Dallas. We are moving as my husband has a great new job there in Irving but I am going to be a stay at home mom with a baby and need to know that I wont be bored out of my mind! Any thoughts on upscale preschools/daycares for 18months to 2 year olds are also welcome! Thanks all!
I live in the suburbs because things I like to do are there. Ive lived in NYC suburbs (NJ), Houston and Dallas suburbs. I strongly prefer where I am not near Dallas to NJ but then it is all dependent on what one wants in a place to live. Please tell us more of your interests we can guide you more specifically then or were you looking to hear if any of us like it here....a lot of us do!

Old 02-01-2012, 12:26 PM

812 posts, read 2,183,694 times
Do you live in Manhattan and like the city life? That would have a huge impact on where you lived.
"NYC" could mean a lot of things so specify what you like and there will be buckets of advice for you. Don't be afraid of moving to Dallas as this is a great city. Like any move it'll be an adjustment but like everyone (me too, from Philly), you'll do just fine.
It would be much more scary for a Dallasite to move to NYC than visa versa.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:32 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,128 times
The DFW area has so much to offer, welcome!!

If you are looking to purchase a house tr best suburbs ( by most peoples standards ) within 20-30 minutes of Irving are...

- Colleyville
- Coppell
- Flower Mound
- Southlake
- Highland Village
- Keller

Old 02-01-2012, 01:22 PM

67 posts, read 107,112 times
One thing that makes new people giddy is our cheaper real estate when compared to big cities of NY or CA.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:41 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,347 times
First thing first- to make everything easy in your transition.
Number 1 Rule!
DO NOT compare NYC to Dallas- ever! Come with an open mind to change.
Also- the first year is the hardest- not saying it's bad, just getting use to the area, getting use to the different demographics from NYC to Dallas, getting us to the people. DFW are has a lot of friendly people- they will say Good Morning, Hello, How are you. They will offer you help, offer to open the door for you. Please don't think they are trying to hurt you- some people from other areas give us funny looks like are you talking to me? It's very funny. Good luck and Welcome to the Dallas area- we are glad you came.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:45 PM

7 posts, read 44,465 times
Thanks everyone, this is helpful. Actually i should have added why this transition seems a little scarier. I am currently a working mom in NYC with a wonderful nanny who cant move with us. So I am quitting my job so my husband can take up this amazing opportunity he has and I am ok with it, its just the transition to a new place and never having stayed home with a baby. I do intend to look for a job but only after my little one is settled well into a preschool/daycare. He is 13 months and separation anxiety is huge at this point! Also I live in NYC but not in Manhattan so I am not worried about missing a very urban living, I live in Queens which is 15 minutes from Manhattan but still not a burb in the true sense, I walk everywhere and am used to crowds. I appreciate all the responses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas