Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I could understand someone moving from NYC to a place like Hattiesburg, MS being concerned, but moving to the Metroplex? Your life is what you make it. DFW may not be the center of the universe as so many seem to think NYC is, but it's hardly "flyover country". That's just such a dismissive, knee-jerk (and offensive) term.
I agree, I find east and west coast places I have no interest in living. They are crowded, expensive and look down on Texas based upon superficial knowledge in many case. If everyone liked the same things life would be boring. I prefer those who dont like the midwest or Texas to fly over rather than land. Ive lived in NYC metro area and the cost of living there and crowds make it an experience I rather not relive. Let NE and CA do things their own way and we will proceed our own way. The beauty of a state federation form of unity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 01:09 PM

23 posts, read 38,933 times
Thinking about relocating to Dallas from NJ and just read your comment....great advice thank you!!!

Old 03-07-2019, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,044 times
Hi Everyone,
Which area is safe in Dallas that close to red oak tx?
I will be there next month

Old 03-08-2019, 09:59 AM

967 posts, read 725,488 times
Figured I would throw my $.02 here since I did the reverse move from Dallas (lived there 10 years) to NYC (it's been 6 so far.) Aside from obvious physical and cultural differences between the 2 areas, which can be vast, in my experience I don't think there is that big of a difference between the people that we have met. Our experience in Dallas was split between Uptown and Lakewood, so maybe that is a different experience than the deep suburbs.

I wouldn't say that people were any more or less friendly in Dallas vs. NYC - we've met plenty of both types in both locations! I guess maybe you could say the average cashier or random encounter may be slightly more friendly in Dallas, but in terms of neighbors, co-workers, etc. I think it's about the same. I actually feel that your specific neighborhood/block (or Condo building in NYC) has more to do with this than the city itself. We are definitely friendlier with our neighbors in NY in our current building (parties, roof parties, etc.) but in our previous building we barely knew any of them. In Dallas we didn't know most of our neighbors, except in one building I met one (and then married her, ha.)

I'll also put in a plug to stop this "flyover" nonsense. I'm not originally from Dallas or NYC so don't really have a dog in this fight. To state the obvious, Dallas is a large city with plenty of cosmopolitan amenities. Still think it's an underrated restaurant town. Nobody I know in NY considers it "flypver country" or has even said the word "flyover". Most are either curious what it's like, ask why we left warmer weather, or mentioned how much fun Austin was and how drunk they got. So, I think this is more regional insecurity than anything else. [hopping off of soapbox now...]

Old 03-12-2019, 09:12 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syedahsanali View Post
Hi Everyone,
Which area is safe in Dallas that close to red oak tx?
I will be there next month
Red Oak is perfectly safe

Old 03-12-2019, 09:15 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
DFW is the 4th largest metro in the USA. It seems only very poorly educated people would make assumptions regarding the kind of people, recreation, restaurants or housing. Seek what you want and you will find it. (However, no ocean!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas