Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 12:18 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,552,453 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience with Lovejoy ISD schools?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 02:54 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,263,780 times
I hear only the best about the district. FarnorthDallas can probably have more insight. Check out reviews from parents and some students at greatschools.org and schooldigger.com.

Naima

Old 10-02-2011, 06:57 AM

That was what we thought, also.

By all the various "numbers" ratings, scores, etc. -- The regional hierarchy is:

1. Highland Park
2. Southlake Carroll
3. Lovejoy.

Do I have that correct?

But we have been here -- Lovejoy, that is -- 5 weeks and we are not seeing it. Not even a little bit.

I am trying to figure out what we missed on this?

Old 10-02-2011, 08:37 AM

504 posts, read 801,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

By all the various "numbers" ratings, scores, etc. -- The regional hierarchy is:

1. Highland Park
2. Southlake Carroll
3. Lovejoy.

Do I have that correct?

But we have been here -- Lovejoy, that is -- 5 weeks and we are not seeing it. Not even a little bit.

How about getting an expert witness and suing the Lovejoy ISD for not meeting your expectations?

Old 10-02-2011, 08:58 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,475,331 times
Lovejoy ISD is pretty interesting. Initially it only went to 6th grade and then the kids went to Allen ISD. Then they opened a middle and high school - I think in 2009. There was a lot of controversy about the high school because the district decided not to offer any regular level classes. It's all pre-AP and AP. So, there are allegations that the district is not welcoming to special ed kids who need to be in regular level or any student who just needs or wants to be in regular level classes. (People on this website will argue that regular level classes are only for the losers and rejects.)

There is an organized group of people who constantly keep Lovejoy ISD on their toes and call it out for anything unusual. This is that group's website and they have a message board.
Lovejoy Schools : Lovejoy ISD/Lucas ISD/Fairview ISD

This is the district's official website:
Welcome to Lovejoy ISD Official Site - Independent School District Serving Lucas, Allen, and Fairview Texas

Demographically, the district is a lot like Highland Park - mostly upper income whites. The district pulls from areas that require large home lots. It's a small district - 3 elementary schools.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
How about getting an expert witness and suing the Lovejoy ISD for not meeting your expectations?
You going on about Girl Scouts and their practice of selectively excluding kids from troops, here? Yes, that is part of the local charm, as well --

But that is a separate topic of which you are more than welcome to post to and keep near the top of the page, and help give a high rank on google (btw, thanks to everyone on that).

Girl Scouts -- Excluding Kids?

Since that subject is a matter where long-term institutional knowledge and intent is implied, it will handle itself from the collection of available data, and civil rights attorneys will handle it -- All I had to do was get things started.

They are started. Did my part, and the folks here did theirs.

Meanwhile back on this . . .

All I am asking about is the schools in Lovejoy, their listed high numbers, and what the real deal on the ground is. Because we are not seeing much of substance here, as far as the education thingy dealy goes.

That is all I am asking.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:31 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,315,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

1. Highland Park
2. Southlake Carroll
3. Lovejoy.

Do I have that correct?

No, the "regional hierarchy" must include district size - not just scores- to lump "like" schools together.

Highland Park is hands-down the best public school district in Texas, but it's "like" peers in DFW are Southlake Carroll and Coppell, both single high school districts serving 7,000-9,000 students.

Lovejoy is well-regarded (but not equal or in the same league as an HP or Coppell), but it's MUCH smaller (3,000ish students) and would be a better "like" school to a small enclave suburb district like Sunnyvale. Since the high school has just graduated it's first class, it's still "unknown" as to how the district will compete once it's own AP,'SAT, etc results are tracked against the big boys. There are plenty of districts (Frisco, being one) that carry the TEA exemplary rating based on TAKS, but can't get their seniors to beat students in recognized or acceptable (says the TEA) high schools on the SAT and AP exams....you know, the ones that really count for college admissions. I know your kid(s) are in elementary school, but the HP's and Carroll's of the world have a reputation based on high school results, not elementary school ones as anyone can pass/ get commended on the TAKS test if the students are mostly white/Asian/not economically disadvantaged/ have involved parents / good teachers. What separates those districts is that all of their "exemplary"'elementary school kids grow up to kick butt in high school where it counts.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:41 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,315,960 times
Ok, I did find one high school comparison, their AP pass rate last year: 54%. Considering as FND stated that it's an all-AP high school, if only 54% are passing that's "ok, not great" in my book.

Compare to Highland Park, where 80% of students are enrolled in at least 1 AP and the average is 3- pass rate of 61%. Historical pass rate is closer to 65% for HPHS. Additionally, HP does not discourage anyone from taking any AP exam (whether they didnt take the AP class or that particular AP isn't offered at HP), which pulls scores down.

The schools that have really high pass rates (75-85%) don't make the test mandatory for students who took the class, dont allow tests to be taken if the AP course isn't offered on campus,'and even go so far as to discourage certain AP students from taking the test. HP is the only district with an open policy for tests as well as making tests mandatory for students who took the class.

So many variables, it's hard to make fair comparissions, really.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:19 PM

812 posts, read 2,185,208 times
Let me put it this way.... after living in the Lovejoy district for 7 years and deciding we wanted to downsize, we put out house up for sale in the summer (perfect time to sell for school hunting parents) and sold it in 1 day, 2 full price offers, both 50% down. Way over county appraised value. Realtors told me that there are folks who tell their Realtor to let them know when a decent home in Lovejoy comes on the market.

I think that says it all.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggolf View Post
Let me put it this way.... after living in the Lovejoy district for 7 years and deciding we wanted to downsize, we put out house up for sale in the summer (perfect time to sell for school hunting parents) and sold it in 1 day, 2 full price offers, both 50% down. Way over county appraised value. Realtors told me that there are folks who tell their Realtor to let them know when a decent home in Lovejoy comes on the market.

I think that says it all.
Would agree it does.

Reminds me of the difference between prices and values.

Do mind if I ask if you were on the Lucas or Fairview side of the line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas