Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:05 PM

547 posts, read 939,919 times

Advertisements

I don't listen to the radio station (they don't play what I consider music) but will flip through the station. I sometimes listen to Kidd Kraddick when I'm walking my dog in the morning since my ipod doesn't allow am stations so I can listen to 1310 the Ticket.

Anyway, 106.1 Kiss FM's brand is they play new hit music and so on, however I noticed they haven't played the Cars new album "Move Like This" since they released their new album a few months ago. Neither did Kiss FM play Fleetwood Mac's "Say You Will" album that came out in 2003 or the Rolling Stones "A Bigger Bang" which came out in 2005.

Honestly, why doesn't the station do away with the slogan "playing new hit music" and just say "playing new hit crap".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 11:08 PM

871 posts, read 2,691,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
I don't listen to the radio station (they don't play what I consider music) but will flip through the station. I sometimes listen to Kidd Kraddick when I'm walking my dog in the morning since my ipod doesn't allow am stations so I can listen to 1310 the Ticket.

Anyway, 106.1 Kiss FM's brand is they play new hit music and so on, however I noticed they haven't played the Cars new album "Move Like This" since they released their new album a few months ago. Neither did Kiss FM play Fleetwood Mac's "Say You Will" album that came out in 2003 or the Rolling Stones "A Bigger Bang" which came out in 2005.

Honestly, why doesn't the station do away with the slogan "playing new hit music" and just say "playing new hit crap".
Not a fan of people who are elitist towards music, but this sounds like you can get FM stations on your ipod. If that is the case, 104.1FM is the FM repeat of 1310 am, so if you want to be elitist and not listen to 106.1, you don't have to. Just tune to 104.1 for the ticket.

P.S. They play new "hit" music as in what is hot on the charts. The Cars new album you speak of, did it have any songs on the billboard top 40? top 100? http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-...order=position Yes I am well aware the album debuted at #7 on the billboard top 200 for albums, but no songs have cracked the top 40 let alone top 100 to my knowledge. Considering they admittedly are a top 40 station (hence "new hit music"), can you blame them for not playing songs outside the top 40 (Which is what you are ripping them for)? Come on now. If someone releases a new collection of Edith Piaf songs and none crack the top 40 (or top 100), they won't get airtime on a *top 40 station* like 106.1 FM, but you'd be crying foul. Ridiculous and you know it, IMHO.

P.P.S Spin Magazine gave that new sub-par Cars albums 5 out of 10. http://www.spin.com/reviews/cars-move-hear But I guess you are not going to respect their opinion and say they don't what they are talking about, right?

Honestly, why don't you get your facts straight before you bash a radio station?

Last edited by pappy97; 07-30-2011 at 11:18 PM..

Old 07-30-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
P.S. They play new "hit" music as in what is hot on the charts. The Cars new album you speak of, did it have any songs on the billboard top 40? top 100? Music News, Reviews, Articles, Information, News Online & Free Music | Billboard.com Yes I am well aware the album debuted at #7 on the billboard top 200 for albums, but no songs have cracked the top 40 let alone top 100 to my knowledge. Considering they admittedly are a top 40 station (hence "new hit music"), can you blame them for not playing songs in the top 40? Come on now.
That's great. I don't care. They should still play at least one song by the Cars since they did release a new album. Like I said, they're supposed to play new music. The Cars released a new ablum, it's new, so play one of their songs even if it isn't in that top 40 list. Otherwise they should rebrand their station and say "playing the select chosen new music".

Old 07-30-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
P.P.S Spin Magazine gave that new sub-par Cars albums 5 out of 10. The Cars, 'Move Like This' (Hear) | SPIN.com But I guess you are not going to respect their opinion and say they don't what they are talking about, right?

Honestly, why don't you get your facts straight before you bash a radio station?
Rolling Stone said the new album was taut, sleek, seamless, and efficient,

By the way, how am I getting my "facts" wrong. All I said was the radio station should play at least one of their songs since they play new music. I was giving my opinion. I never said it was a fact and dressed it up to be that way. But whatever you want to see good sir, or ma'am.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:14 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,128,501 times
dont worry about Kiss fm. They play abysmal music, just awful crap. I love new music, but most people know the best music is not on pop radio. stay hard.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:01 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,308,249 times
I didn't know anyone over the age of 15 listened to 106.1.

I rotate between KXT (91.7), 98.7, 100.3, 102.9, and 88.5 myself. And of course, 90.1 (NPR).

Old 07-31-2011, 08:40 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,315,960 times
So should KISS FM play Brad Paisley's new country music when albums are released? (it's still "new" and a "hit"). Should they play new indie-rock like My Morning Jacket when albums are released? (it's "new" and a "hit"). Of course not, because neither is KISS FM's "genre" which is SOLEY pop, hip hop, and maybe a smidge of r&b. You only have to listen for 1-2 songs to figure that out.

If KISS had played Fleetwood Mac and Cars, they would have lost their market share (listeners) and ad revenue (based on market share). That station has had the same format for about 20 years and it has never involved the Rolling Stones. Sorry, buddy. Quit b*tching because your rant is pointless. Get satellite radio or try 100.3 JACK FM or another station where what YOU define as music is actually played. Problem solved.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:52 AM

958 posts, read 2,134,110 times
Load and listen to your favorites on your Ipod. No commercial interruptions, talking or station breaks, just your music.
Problem resolved.
Or subscribe to 1310 The Ticket Podcasts (http://theticket.com/Podcasts/tabid/474/Default.aspx - broken link)

Old 07-31-2011, 11:18 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,174,090 times
KISS FM, like Top 40 stations of the last 50 years, plays a tightly formatted selection of hits that you would find in Billboard's Top 40 Songs chart -- and such a list hasn't included the Cars in more than 20 years. These days, it means more LMFAO, Ke$ha, Nicki Minaj, Pitbull, and Katy Perry than you can shake a stick at. And generally everyone (as can be seen here on this board) over 18 or so hates whatever's in the Top 40 and can't stand what the pre-teens and teens are listening to. That's true in 2011 and it was true in 1961. Same as it ever was.

Complaining about not hearing the Cars on Top 40 radio in 2011 is like someone in 1981, when Top 40 played The Cars, complaining that Top 40 wasn't playing Nat King Cole or Andy Williams, Top 40 mainstays 20 years prior.

You can see what's in Billboard's Top 100 singles here:
Music News, Reviews, Articles, Information, News Online & Free Music | Billboard.com

If you want to hear the Cars on terrestrial radio, you need to tune to stations that cater to an older audience -- who remember when The Cars were in the Top 40, a generation ago. That means Jack FM (100.3) or KXT (91.7), the latter was playing songs from the new Cars album but I don't know if they still are. They post their playlists on their website so you can check it out for yourself. http://kxt.org/

Last edited by TrueDat; 07-31-2011 at 11:34 AM..

Old 07-31-2011, 11:59 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,271,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
KISS FM, like Top 40 stations of the last 50 years, plays a tightly formatted selection of hits that you would find in Billboard's Top 40 Songs chart -- and such a list hasn't included the Cars in more than 20 years. These days, it means more LMFAO, Ke$ha, Nicki Minaj, Pitbull, and Katy Perry than you can shake a stick at. And generally everyone (as can be seen here on this board) over 18 or so hates whatever's in the Top 40 and can't stand what the pre-teens and teens are listening to. That's true in 2011 and it was true in 1961. Same as it ever was.

Complaining about not hearing the Cars on Top 40 radio in 2011 is like someone in 1981, when Top 40 played The Cars, complaining that Top 40 wasn't playing Nat King Cole or Andy Williams, Top 40 mainstays 20 years prior.

You can see what's in Billboard's Top 100 singles here:
Music News, Reviews, Articles, Information, News Online & Free Music | Billboard.com

If you want to hear the Cars on terrestrial radio, you need to tune to stations that cater to an older audience -- who remember when The Cars were in the Top 40, a generation ago. That means Jack FM (100.3) or KXT (91.7), the latter was playing songs from the new Cars album but I don't know if they still are. They post their playlists on their website so you can check it out for yourself. KXT 91.7 Public Music Radio for Dallas Fort Worth Denton
Spot on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas