Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:30 AM

126 posts, read 443,293 times

Advertisements

One of my goals for 2010 is to get back into volunteering and focus on local non-profits and other organizations here in Dallas. I used to do a lot in Minnesota before having children and I'm hoping I'm ready to make time to start giving back again. Basically, I've volunteered with adult literacy programs, shelters, safe havens for orphans and other disadvantaged children, etc.
I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on organizations in Dallas that do great work to benefit the community? I'm more interested in those that have strong ties to the communities they serve vs. those with a national presence. Any feedback/thoughts are welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 11:38 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
You can start by calling the local United Way in Dallas. They should be able to give you a list of several. In Dallas there is the Genesis shelter for women (my daughter did work there last year thru our church). Bryan's House is an organization for children w/ AIDS.

Our church as a community outreach director that helps organize community projects for the people in our church. I know on May 2nd we are doing another "Engage Sunday" where everyone goes out to a local charity/homeless shelter/group home/food bank/etc and does something they need done by a large group for a day. They also work heavily w/ an elementary school in Richardson, Burkhair, that is heavily minority in doing mentor programs w/ them and all kinds of volunteer work there.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:50 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
106.5 KISS FM in Dallas (the Kidd Kraddick show) has a direct link on thier website. The program is called "my turn day" its about volunteering and they can hook up directly with an Organization.

My Turn Day | Stop Talking. Start Doing

Old 02-09-2010, 12:58 PM

Thank you both. Some great suggestions that I'll start researching!

Old 02-09-2010, 02:02 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
I was a volunteer at Parkland Hospital about 15 years ago. It was way cool.

There are probably places in your immediate community where you can volunteer. Richardson has the network NETWORK of Community Ministries, Inc.,.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:30 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
This organization has really grown because of the huge need from a small house on Gaston Ave in East Dallas to their current facility.
Jonathan's Place - a “home-style” emergency shelter in Dallas, Texas for abused, abandoned and neglected children and a Foster & Adoptive Family Program.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:50 PM

161 posts, read 725,343 times
Default Volunteer Opportunities

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPMom View Post
One of my goals for 2010 is to get back into volunteering and focus on local non-profits and other organizations here in Dallas. I used to do a lot in Minnesota before having children and I'm hoping I'm ready to make time to start giving back again. Basically, I've volunteered with adult literacy programs, shelters, safe havens for orphans and other disadvantaged children, etc.
I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on organizations in Dallas that do great work to benefit the community? I'm more interested in those that have strong ties to the communities they serve vs. those with a national presence. Any feedback/thoughts are welcome. Thanks!
Where are you living? Do you want something in Dallas or in the surrounding areas?

* My local Resale Shop/Food Pantry (in Allen) is always looking for volunteers at Allen Community Outreach Home

* There is City House in Plano, a teen shelter City House

* The Samaritan Inn in McKinney, only homeless shelter in Collin County
The Samaritan Inn–Who We Are

* Then there's CASA - Court Appointed Special Advocates - they have locations throughout the metroplex Home - National CASA

Good luck....I'm sure there you'll find no shortage of opportunities.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckmom View Post
Where are you living? Do you want something in Dallas or in the surrounding areas?

* My local Resale Shop/Food Pantry (in Allen) is always looking for volunteers at Allen Community Outreach Home

* There is City House in Plano, a teen shelter City House

* The Samaritan Inn in McKinney, only homeless shelter in Collin County
The Samaritan Inn–Who We Are

* Then there's CASA - Court Appointed Special Advocates - they have locations throughout the metroplex Home - National CASA

Good luck....I'm sure there you'll find no shortage of opportunities.
Thanks for these options. I live in Uptown so they're a bit far, but this helps me figure out what's out there. It seems like there are a lot of opportunities right here in Dallas so I'll start here and see where it takes me.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:31 AM

168 posts, read 573,383 times
I highly recommend the ARC of Dallas.

http://www.arcdallas.org/

The acronym stands for (Association of Retarded Citizens), but given the negative connotation of the "R" word, they now commonly go by ARC. It is a national organization, 60+ years old. Dallas has a very active chapter organization. While there are adults there, a significant majority are kids. It is the oldest and largest national nonprofit that advocates for and serves people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. 730 chapters in the U.S. Having volunteered there extensively, I can assure you that you will get more out of the experience than they will. It will also put your life and petty challenges in perspective. No special training needed...just patience.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
This organization has really grown because of the huge need from a small house on Gaston Ave in East Dallas to their current facility.
Jonathan's Place - a “home-style” emergency shelter in Dallas, Texas for abused, abandoned and neglected children and a Foster & Adoptive Family Program.
I just visited their website and I'm amazed at the work they do. Sounds like a phenomenal organization that's providing a safe, comforting place for children that have been so much. I may just give them a call this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas