Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,028 times

Advertisements

All,
So, we are moving to Dallas from Charlotte, NC. Unlike Charlotte, NC and our Mecklenburg county, I find Dallas very confusing. Firstly there are many school districts. I have come across few Coppell, Irving, Dallas, Carrolton Farmers Branch etc. Each one of them obviously have some very good elementary schools.

I am going to work at Regent Blvd and had zeroed in few apartment communities near W Royal Ln and N MacArthur Blvd intersection however they fall under Carrolton Farmers Branch district which has few good schools.

I have some basic questions.

1. Is it possible to get enrolled in a school of a different school district?

2. Is there a website for entire Dallas area where after entering the address, it will show the home school. I have come across several websites, one per the school district but wanted to know if there is anything at one level up.

3. If I live in Carronton Farmers Branch school district, does it mean I can get my child enrolled to any good public school of tihs district? How that's decided? Is there a school boundary map per school district? Can someone please explain how it works.

Apologies for asking some stupid questions but I am just overwhelmed by the amount of information.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 04:51 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,380,921 times
1. You MUST enroll your kids in the school district your home/apartment is fined for if you want free schooling. In Texas, our school districts are "independend" (ISD) which means there is no inter-district relationship. Each district is operated and funded independently- the bulk of funding comes from local property taxes paid by homewowners & commercial property owners who live within the district boundaries. Some districts allow transfers IF the transfers pay tuition. This is uncommon and basically rare.

2. I believe all of our local districts here have specific elementary school boundaries- if you live within x street by x street area, you go to xyz elementary. Some allow transfers if the local school is over it's max enrollment or for a specific student need (ie, extreme learning disabilities where another school has the specialized staff and the local school doesn't- again, rare. Some school districts have open enrollment for high schools, but again- rare. I think Garland ISD is one of the only to do so.

3. The best advice I can give you is to research school districts (and specific school "feeder" patterns from K-12), print the school zone map for those specific schools you would want your kids to attend off the district's websit, and ONLY look at apartments/homes within that area. There's a 99.9% chance the neighborhood school will be the one you use.

FWIW, Carrollton-Farmer's Branch isn't a very good district. It has an excelled Talented & Gifted program for those who "test in", but overall it's a bottom performer and has a lot of problems. The district came close to splitting in two recently. I would focus on Coppell, Lewisville, Plano, and Grapevine-Colleyville if you are trying to stay central/ northwest of Dallas.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:30 PM

695 posts, read 1,450,747 times
There are Exemplary elementary schools in CFB but I don't believe any are in Irving. My son went to an Exemplary school and had a great experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas