Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:32 AM

14 posts, read 94,565 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

Now my daughter has turned to 5 years old last month. She's going to be K this fall. We're looking for buying house in north plano and south firsco area and looking at those elementary schools currently:

Skaggs
Wyatt
Borchardt
riddle

We're having difficulties in deciding which area is good to buy a house. Our top priority is: real good education (not only good scores), then house resale value.

Thank you very much for any inputs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 10:11 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,480,669 times
Skaggs and Wyatt will be the oldest homes (mainly in the 90s). Riddle and Borchardt will have the newest homes (mainly in the OOs) typically. Maybe on Borchardt you might have to worry about elementary school zone realignment later. Skaggs has the highest Asian presence. Wyatt has the least Asian presence. Actually, if you're not Asian then the high percentage of Asians for all these schools may be a turnoff.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:17 PM

705 posts, read 1,764,940 times
Carlisle elementary, 75023. Check out Hunter's Creek Estates....across the creek from the elementary and middle school - close enough to walk but no school traffic to deal with by your house.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:32 PM

109 posts, read 399,618 times
The school does not make the student.

And, your daughter is only 5 for Pete's sake. A school can change a lot over the span of a few years. There is no way I would choose a place to live based primarily on an elementary school.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:23 PM

thank you for all your replies. I'll look at 75023 area.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:01 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,953,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeagle21 View Post
The school does not make the student.

And, your daughter is only 5 for Pete's sake. A school can change a lot over the span of a few years. There is no way I would choose a place to live based primarily on an elementary school.
jpeagle21: I have to believe you are in the minority. Every day, folks make home purchase decisions based on the elementary schools. Doesn't Lakewooder come on here daily trumpeting the benefits of his local elementary school? The school can absolutely make the student. Put a kid in a school of low-achieving goof-offs and watch him/her sink to the level of the classmates.

newer: Your daughter will be entering school this fall, right? Then you should make your judgment based on how the school is RIGHT NOW. I'm guessing by your post that you may be Asian. If so, you'd probably be very comfortable at Skaggs. Truth be told, you'd probably be comfortable at any of the schools you listed.

Do you think your daughter will qualify for the gifted/talented program? In my opinion, Plano does a better job with that than Frisco.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:18 PM

109 posts, read 399,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
jpeagle21: I have to believe you are in the minority. Every day, folks make home purchase decisions based on the elementary schools. Doesn't Lakewooder come on here daily trumpeting the benefits of his local elementary school? The school can absolutely make the student. Put a kid in a school of low-achieving goof-offs and watch him/her sink to the level of the classmates.
Should we go through and find all of the graduates of DISD who have made something of themselves? Those who have come out of those "goof-off" schools and gotten a great education?

I see....so your opinion is to have all of those "low-achievers" corralled in their own schools and the high-achievers in their own schools so they won't have to be bothered with the low-lifes.

Do you see how insulting you are being to people who may not be able to pick up and move to frisco, plano, or highland park to put their kids in the school of their choice? I guess their kids are automatically "goof-offs" just because they have to attend a school that is not exemplary. Your kids can go to any school in the country and if they apply themselves (and maybe with a little parent involvement) can come out with a great education.

To the original poster, both Plano and Frisco are fine school districts. Your child will be fine at any of those schools. Find the neighborhood that you like best and go with that.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:30 PM

Hi Big G,

Thank you very much for your information!

Yes, i'm a Asian. I heard Skaggs is very good but i'm a little bit nervous about the possible competitions. I'm not sure how intensive the competiton will be. There are 60% Asian and the house is old. I am concerning about the resale value of the house after 5-7 years.

What if the schools in Frisco are developing as good as ones in Plano, then we might have difficult time to sale the old house.

Yes my daugher will be entering school this fall. You're right I should think about how the school is RIGHT NOW.

I'm not familiar with the gifted/talented program. My daughter is smart in my eyes. It's good to know Plano has better gifed/talented program. BTW, how can a kid be qualified to this program?

thanks a lot again!

Old 03-26-2009, 06:04 PM

To the original poster, both Plano and Frisco are fine school districts. Your child will be fine at any of those schools. Find the neighborhood that you like best and go with that.

--- Thank you, jpeagle21.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:09 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,480,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newer View Post
Hi Big G,

Thank you very much for your information!

Yes, i'm a Asian. I heard Skaggs is very good but i'm a little bit nervous about the possible competitions. I'm not sure how intensive the competiton will be. There are 60% Asian and the house is old. I am concerning about the resale value of the house after 5-7 years.

What if the schools in Frisco are developing as good as ones in Plano, then we might have difficult time to sale the old house.

Yes my daugher will be entering school this fall. You're right I should think about how the school is RIGHT NOW.

I'm not familiar with the gifted/talented program. My daughter is smart in my eyes. It's good to know Plano has better gifed/talented program. BTW, how can a kid be qualified to this program?

thanks a lot again!
If you're worried about competition than none of the schools you mentioned will be right for your child. The excellent education is being driven by the competition, the social environment and the expectations / role models of the parents much more than the teachers. I'd rather be a small fish in a big pond, than a big fish in a small pond, ... but obviously not every shares my philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas