Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:19 PM

9 posts, read 19,145 times

Advertisements

We are relatively new to the Dallas area, Lakewood in particular. From where we came from, we do get girl scouts knocking on our doors selling cookies; but we've no experience on students making rounds trying to sell stuff/collect donations (for college). Since we moved here though, we've had 3 cases of students knocking and trying to sell things/get donations to build up college money. They're polite and they introduce themselves " neighbors from such street". Being new though, We wouldn't exactly know if they lived where they say they did. We'd like to be neighborly but given the numerous scams around, we wouldn't want to be fooled as well. Is this common here? Is it rude to just say no? what is the proper action here :whether we do/don't buy/donate, we'd like to know more neighbors.If you 've had the experience/s, we 're interested on how you dealt with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 07:30 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
I had a middle school girl come to the door and ask for money so she could attend a summer dance camp in Los Angeles that costs $7,000!!! She had this homemade flyer she made (or someone made) were she listed the levels of giving. She had the middle school name spelled wrong though on the flyer, so I was a little suspicious. I just said, "sorry, can't help you out."

Old 06-25-2011, 07:32 PM

621 posts, read 1,333,363 times
Yea, I don't give till it hurts any more...Hell we all are hurting now!

Old 06-25-2011, 10:18 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
technically those types of solicitations are probably illegal in Dallas and other suburbs --like Hurst where I live--unless the person has a permit from the city--
they/the organization sometimes has to pay for the permit--sometimes not from what I know but that is supposed to validate the intent of the "charity"
I don't open my door to strangers if I can help it
and I certainly don't contribute to causes like that

if that makes me a curmudgeon, so be it--
too many scams going on and to many unsavory people running them

Old 06-26-2011, 06:13 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
This is a problem in many areas. I saw a 20/20 type report on it last year. They are employed by scanners, move from city to city, and usually you never see anything if it is one of the magazine scams. Since people caught on to the magazines, they just ask for "donations."

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:19 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2dl View Post
We are relatively new to the Dallas area, Lakewood in particular. From where we came from, we do get girl scouts knocking on our doors selling cookies; but we've no experience on students making rounds trying to sell stuff/collect donations (for college). Since we moved here though, we've had 3 cases of students knocking and trying to sell things/get donations to build up college money. They're polite and they introduce themselves " neighbors from such street". Being new though, We wouldn't exactly know if they lived where they say they did. We'd like to be neighborly but given the numerous scams around, we wouldn't want to be fooled as well. Is this common here? Is it rude to just say no? what is the proper action here :whether we do/don't buy/donate, we'd like to know more neighbors.If you 've had the experience/s, we 're interested on how you dealt with it.
Hum. I am in Lakewood and haven't had any of these lately. We did a few years ago. Fortunately, I knew enough about the neighborhood by then to confirm where they lived. Stuff like "oh really. You must live next door to the big white dog?" usually, I could tell by their response that they had no idea where they were supposed to live!

Either way, I think trolling for college donations is weird. I would just say "Sorry, I can't help you!"

Old 06-26-2011, 06:21 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
The only people who probably AREN'T scamming you are the girl scouts...get a sign.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:41 AM

419 posts, read 998,185 times
I live in Lakewood too. It's not rude to say no. In fact, people who say "I'm a neighbor" -- are not typically neighbors. The best practice is to say "no thank you" through the door. That way they know you're there, but they can't scope out your house.

You should also know that it is illegal to solicit after dark or 6:00 p.m. in Dallas, every Sunday and that the solicitors are supposed to have a permit -- with their picture on it -- hanging from their neck. Otherwise you can call the police about it and they will arrest or at the very least talk to the person. My family has done that a few times. When the people have warrants, they will be arrested. At the very least, they will be asked to leave the area.

When we first moved to the area a few years ago, we had these same people come to our door too. Now that we've been here a few years, they don't seem to come by. Now I know all my neighbors. And they either wear scrubs or suits to work. They don't look anything like the meth-heads that claimed to be "neighbors" selling magazines a few years ago.

Last edited by HOAPRESIDENT; 06-26-2011 at 06:54 AM..

Old 06-26-2011, 07:13 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,619 times
Used to get these all the time in So Cal. When we politely refused, they would get more aggressive kind of like some telemarketers and we would have to close the door on them. Eventually we just didn't answer.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:17 AM

621 posts, read 1,333,363 times
I would not even open my door for them. Just call the cops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas