Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:05 PM

300 posts, read 1,257,974 times

Advertisements

Pros/Cons, Likes/Dislikes, neighborhood info within Firewheel, schools (does all of Firewheel go to the same elementary, middle and HS?), post some photos if you have 'em, HOA info, commute into Dallas proper, tax info, thoughts on projected resale values....pretty much any type of info dump is welcomed! Anyone know how Firewheel got its name? Sounds a little unappealing from an outsider- not that it matters, but just sayin'.

If there is a different post alllll about Firewheel, please link to it! I did a forum search and so far its only mentioned in post responses...there's not a dedicated post (that I found, anyway).

I've heard good things...would like to know more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 02:15 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppyglam View Post
Pros/Cons, Likes/Dislikes, neighborhood info within Firewheel, schools (does all of Firewheel go to the same elementary, middle and HS?), post some photos if you have 'em, HOA info, commute into Dallas proper, tax info, thoughts on projected resale values....pretty much any type of info dump is welcomed! Anyone know how Firewheel got its name? Sounds a little unappealing from an outsider- not that it matters, but just sayin'.

If there is a different post alllll about Firewheel, please link to it! I did a forum search and so far its only mentioned in post responses...there's not a dedicated post (that I found, anyway).

I've heard good things...would like to know more!
Pros: Nice area where families tend to stay put. If they move to move up or down they tend to do so within the area. Close to 190, 75 and great shopping close by. ALMOST done w/ the construction around 190 & 78 (a con on some days). Great golf course. Very involved community w/ community events and a Firewheel Moms Club that hosts an annual Fall Fest and Easter Egg Hunt at the golf course. Close to Hawaiian Falls.
Cons: The construction going on with the extension of 190. Brand Rd needs to be widened.
Schools: With the open choice not everyone goes to the same schools. Many do but some do not if they want to attend a magnet in the GISD. The two elementary schools that serve the area are Abbett and Luna (prefer Luna). Middle school is Webb (not a fan). The closest high school is Naaman Forest but not everyone around here goes there. Some attend Garland HS and some Sachse HS.
I had a whole thread of pictures I'd taken around here and it is somewhere on here. I'll try and find it for you.
There are several different HOA's in the area. Some have a pool and community clubhouse and one has tennis courts. Just about all of the neighborhoods have an HOA now.
Commute into Dallas........ tonight to the hockey game will take us about 45 minutes and less coming home afterwards. To get to Medical City Dallas for doctors appointments in rush hour takes me about 20 minutes. We can use surface streets if the highways are a mess.
Resale value has been good. Much better than a lot of areas but there is not a lot of turnover. Homes that linger on the market in this area usually do so for a reason. Some reasons are not justified and some are.
The name came from a wildflower grown in Texas. If you look on the website for the golf course or the mall you will see the red and yellow flower that is known as a Firewheel.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:17 PM

Im poking around on Realtor.com, and some of these properties in Firewheel have been sitting on the market for over 100 days...I just saw over for over 300 days! They are on the golf course...why is this?

We were set to buy a house here in CA, and when we were looking, a lot of them were foreclosures/pre-foreclosures. Because of that, some of them have second mortgages that needed to be covered (meaning: come up with extra loan money or in come cases a percentage in CASH to cover it! on top of your normal down payment and loan fees!) and/or back-HOA dues that the association makes the new owners pay (if a house has months and months of back dues, plus interest and/or penalties- it was in the THOUSANDS of dollars on top of buying the house. Also forgot to mention typical HOA's out this way are anywhere from 250-500 per month, depending). For those reasons, some homes sat on the market for a loooong time.

Is that the case in some areas in TX, too? If so, its good to know when looking at a listing and the amount of time its been on the market.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:21 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,867,023 times
For that one over 300 days..... I bet I know which one. The owner lives in England. He bought it to have a house here to stay in when he was here for maybe TWO WEEKS out of the year. LOL!!! Not kidding. It is empty and for some reason empty houses in the Dallas area just do not sale well. A lot of people will make horrid lowballs because they think the seller is desperate and I doubt this guy is THAT desperate. As for the house itself...... been in it a gazillion times as a friend used to housesit it for him and lived in it for a good bit. Nice house, great pool, AWESOME media room and built in bar . Normally, golf course lots don't linger like that but that house just is. He did have it listed a few years ago for a LOT MORE than he does now. If they do linger it is usually because the owner has not done any upgrades and is expecting to sell for what someone else did down the street that had all the bells and whistles.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:43 PM

509 posts, read 1,261,989 times
For info on Firewheel Momof2dfw is probably your best bet; but I'll just chime in a little since I live so close it. We live in Sachse and actually my neighborhood is just one long stretch away from Firewheel mall. I do a lot of shopping in that area. The mall is fairly new (about 5 or 6 years old) and it is not an enclosed mall, rather open entrances in which you walk off the sidewalk and enter whatever store you want. The center of it has a nice park, a grassy area, a winding brook, a pergola w/tables and chairs, and a pretty good size fountain. The only thing I wish the mall had would be a Jcpenney and a Children's Place. It has Dillard's on one end and Macy's on the other end. Plenty of restaurants, oh, and it also has an apartment complex which looks quite nice. It seems to me that anyone living in those apartments must really enjoy having everything within walking distance because they pretty much live on the grounds of the mall.
We also shop at Lowe's or Home Depot is just down the street from it. In a radius of about 3 miles or so, there are about 3 or more grocery stores. I also go into Plano a little bit, for doctor's visits and to the mall and it takes me about 15 minutes or less to get there.
My husband used to work in Garland and our location in Sachse was perfect. I am also so, so grateful that my children attend a wonderful elementary school which is Armstrong elementary. The diversity is wonderful and my children do not feel out of place.
I cannot say anything about the HOAs since I live in a neighborhood that has none (thank goodness!) but I have lots of friends who live in the Woodbridge subdivision, which is a nice, huge subdivision and they pay about 500+ a year for their HOA dues. The actual Firewheel homes are very near the George Bush Tollway so it is really easy to get to wherever you want to go. I can tell that Garland's city government seems to have its act together, at least from what I see around me, I could be wrong.

You are doing a wonderful job researching everything. Just make sure you rent first would be my best advice.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:02 PM

Well, thank you! Im trying my best to research! All of the wonderful people on this board are making it easy! We do want to rent first, but I want to have a plan in play when we get there. I don't want DH getting too comfy renting. haha! Ideally, we would like to rent for no more than 3-6 months. We need a place for our new baby (and all the gear that goes along with a baby- geeze!) and all our stuff which will only sit in storage until we move permanently! And, I work out of a home studio- so the faster I can get a permanent spot and address- the faster I can work on getting back to work and building a clientele in the area. We don't want to make such an important decision in haste- but we don't really want to take our time, either. We also already have approved financing, so we are just ready to get to where we're going and stay there! haha!

How do you pronounce "Sachse"?

Old 02-22-2011, 03:06 PM

Interesting, to say the least! Small world, too, that you know which house Im referring to! I wonder if he got his asking price if he would sell?! haha! It does look like a nice house...

Old 02-22-2011, 03:09 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,153,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppyglam View Post
How do you pronounce "Sachse"?
Ever been to Sacsayhuaman in Peru?

Old 02-22-2011, 03:13 PM

no...

my best guess is "sak-say" or "sac-see"?

Old 02-22-2011, 03:18 PM

On the market for 162 days...pretty cute house, great price:2225 Harvest Run Garland TX Home for Sale - Real Estate - MLS #11474482 - Realtor.com®

241 days...looks like a nice house, pretty wooded lot, great price:818 Singing Hills Dr Garland TX - Homes for Sale and Real Estate - MLS #11429003 - Realtor.com®

154 days...cute house, decent price:Real estate at 201 Fountain Hills Dr Garland TX - Property Details - MLS #11478322 - Realtor.com®

?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas