Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 06:39 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,884,102 times

Advertisements

Interested in where the OP ended up. Update?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 09:28 PM

85 posts, read 416,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Interested in where the OP ended up. Update?
I ended up in McKinney. We bought a house in December and moved in to it January. In the end our decisions rested on the following:

1. We took into consideration the build out rate (I thank those that gave me this information.) but also looked at the long term. We believe that Texas will be our home permanently. We believe this home will be our first and final home. Additionally, we lucked out tremendously, my fiance's previous company (the one he left for the new job in Texas) just purchased the company that employs him now. This takeover company has a policy of buying employee houses if they relocate you within the company. This is truly a blessing.

2. His commute to work. The traffic past McKinney going south to Allen and Plano was taxing on his nerves after long hours on the job.

3. We found a home that met the bulk of our requirements, especially the lot size.

I'm still learning my way around McKinney.

Thank you for all those that checked in on my via private message and email to see how I was doing. I appreciate that very much. So far, I really love Texas. It hasn't disappointed me in anyway. The people here are so much nicer (the ones generally originally from here or that have been here for a long time I've noticed).

Old 06-10-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2BTXN View Post
I ended up in McKinney. We bought a house in December and moved in to it January. In the end our decisions rested on the following:

1. We took into consideration the build out rate (I thank those that gave me this information.) but also looked at the long term. We believe that Texas will be our home permanently. We believe this home will be our first and final home. Additionally, we lucked out tremendously, my fiance's previous company (the one he left for the new job in Texas) just purchased the company that employs him now. This takeover company has a policy of buying employee houses if they relocate you within the company. This is truly a blessing.

2. His commute to work. The traffic past McKinney going south to Allen and Plano was taxing on his nerves after long hours on the job.

3. We found a home that met the bulk of our requirements, especially the lot size.

I'm still learning my way around McKinney.

Thank you for all those that checked in on my via private message and email to see how I was doing. I appreciate that very much. So far, I really love Texas. It hasn't disappointed me in anyway. The people here are so much nicer (the ones generally originally from here or that have been here for a long time I've noticed).
Which High School is your neighborhood zoned for? After reading the thread, I knew it was too late to comment, but homes in the Boyd district will hold their value better IMO because it is the most sought after HS of the three in the ISD and the land within the boundary lines for Boyd are almost totally built out. The majority of the undeveloped land in McKinney is either north of 380 (McKinney North HS) or in the southwestern corner in the Frisco and Allen ISDs.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felvelaz View Post
[SIZE=3]Hello Soon2BTXN,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I am mexican (34) and I am planning to move to Plano with my wife (33) and my baby girl (8 months) at the beginning of 2011.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I notice that you did a great research so i wanted to ask you for your recommendations on this exciting step for me and my family[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I[/SIZE][SIZE=3] will work in Plano very close to Legacy Mall[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I would like that the commute is less than 30 minutes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]My plan is to rent for the first year.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]- Where would you recommend me to live: Plano, Frisco, Allen?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]- Apartment or house? I need like 3 bedrooms and 2 garage, but we are used to small places since our apartment is Mexico city is 1292 ft2.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I read that weather plays a significant factor in Texas, Do you know what considerations should I take into account before renting? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]- Do you know some good internet sites to look for rent options? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]In Mexico is not common that the one who wants to rent hires a real estate agent but it seems from the comments in the forum that for this relocation it will be advisable. If so, Could you give me some tips regarding real estate agents?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]- I have read very good things about the communities there, but I am concerned about my family since I have not seen any comments on Mexican experiences, What do you think?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]- Finally, Could you give me an explanation of how taxes work? How much of my income I will have to pay every month?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Sorry for so many questions, but just heard the request from my manager and just realized how many things I have no idea regarding this change!!!![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I appreciate all the help/tips that you can provide…[/SIZE]
Hello,

I'm not a native Texan. I recommend reading through this forum. There is a wealth of information in this forum. Personally, from my experience I would recommend two locations, West Plano and Allen. If you will be working in Plano, it seems that West Plano may be the smarter choice in terms of commute, cost of gas, schools, home values and (in my opinion, perceived prestige). Driving around I do see more diversity in Allen in comparison to West Plano. Again, I'm not a native Texan so maybe others will chime in to give you their point of view.

In terms of the taxes, you may want to speak to your Realtor about this and they can guide you in the right direction. Additionally, the city office will be of great assistance.

I wish I could help more but I've only been here since the end of 2010. Good luck to you and your family!

Old 06-10-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Which High School is your neighborhood zoned for? After reading the thread, I knew it was too late to comment, but homes in the Boyd district will hold their value better IMO because it is the most sought after HS of the three in the ISD and the land within the boundary lines for Boyd are almost totally built out. The majority of the undeveloped land in McKinney is either north of 380 (McKinney North HS) or in the southwestern corner in the Frisco and Allen ISDs.
We are not too far from a high school that is very large. I think it is Boyd High School. That high school is beautiful. I've seen nothing like it prior. Our home is zoned for that high school (if it is the high school near the intersection of Virginia Pkwy and Lake Forest.

Thank you for that information!

Old 06-10-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2BTXN View Post
We are not too far from a high school that is very large. I think it is Boyd High School. That high school is beautiful. I've seen nothing like it prior. Our home is zoned for that high school (if it is the high school near the intersection of Virginia Pkwy and Lake Forest.

Thank you for that information!
Yes, that is Boyd, my son was in the first graduating class in 08 and my daughter graduated from there last week. Great school.

You are almost a neighbor of my EX. The north parking lot of Boyd is literally in her backyard.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:40 PM

44 posts, read 78,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
So the dad, the doctor, gets to see the kids on the ride from McKinney to Dallas every morning and also after work they are home when he gets home. He doesn't work crazy hours. Apparently his practice does so well in Sherman he won't move it (understandable), I think he's a cardiologist.

Also they don't want to live in Dallas because it's too far from Sherman, but the doctor really wants the kids at Saint Marks (and the kids like their school too), so boarding school is out as well. Considering they don't live in HPISD (although they could afford it), in their eyes the next best thing for school is Saint Marks and being Indian (sorry, forgot to mention that he was Indian), schooling is everything. Hence the sacrifice of a morning commute of McKinney-Dallas-Sherman.

You clarify that he is Indian .... say no more!! School's everything.....

Old 11-30-2013, 07:36 AM

794 posts, read 1,672,690 times
If he can live in HPISD or near Saint Marks then kids won't have to waste time and energy in such long commute. He is doing long commute anyways. Once kids go to higher grades then time becomes very valueable. However, Living in West Plano can be best of both worlds for whole family. I know many Indian physicians who had somewhat similar requirements and picked West Plano.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,455 times
You've got to remember, every area has it's highs and lows. In Stonebridge (McKinney) the landscape is beautiful, the lots vary to more than an acre if you prefer. The schools in the neighborhoods we know are 5 star and the real estate continues to increase >20% in the past 5yrs. No cookie cutter as home style is related to the division.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,272 times
Looking for suggestions/recommendations: Is there any good carnatic music teachers in McKinney, Frisco area. I am looking for good schools. I have two kids 11 and 6 years old, so our primary focus is education and music for my kids. My 11 year has been learning carnatic music from the age of 5 and we are thinking of moving from CA to Texas so any suggestion/recommendation is highly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas