Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 12:48 PM

14 posts, read 44,343 times

Advertisements

So, I'm curious to know what it's like living in Flower Mound, TX! My husband is considering a job there! We've been to Dallas and some of the surrounding suburbs, but we have never been to Flower Mound. We're a young couple in our 30's with small children.
We're looking for a family friendly place to raise our kids! We have a great group of couple friends who we would be leaving behind, so we're hoping Flower Mound is a friendly place, welcoming of new people! What would you say??
The job is in Flower Mound, but that doesn't mean we have to live in Flower Mound. I'm not even sure what other areas would be close enough that my husband wouldn't have a crazy commute.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 01:01 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola9096 View Post
So, I'm curious to know what it's like living in Flower Mound, TX! My husband is considering a job there! We've been to Dallas and some of the surrounding suburbs, but we have never been to Flower Mound. We're a young couple in our 30's with small children.
We're looking for a family friendly place to raise our kids! We have a great group of couple friends who we would be leaving behind, so we're hoping Flower Mound is a friendly place, welcoming of new people! What would you say??
The job is in Flower Mound, but that doesn't mean we have to live in Flower Mound. I'm not even sure what other areas would be close enough that my husband wouldn't have a crazy commute.
Thanks!!

My family is looking to move there in the next year or so, visited recently. It's an outstanding, and I mean outstanding community. Not sure what part of the country you would be coming from, but it is a really nice place in the greater Dallas area to set down roots. The school are excellent, some of the best public schools in the metroplex, the urban planning is top notch and it's a quiet place without all the hustle and bustle of Grapevine or Southlake. And best of all homes are affordable there.

We have the same concerns about leaving where we live now, good friends would be left behind. But when I was in Flower Mound (aka Flo Mo) I felt it was a place we could really assimilate with and feel at home. You have to visit to make your final decision, but overall you would be making a sound investment in your real estate and children's futures as well. IMO, look no further you found a gem.

Not sure what your price range is, or where you would be coming from. That might help to know..I can tell you as an outsider from New England I am more than willing to settle with my wife and three small children in Flower Mound.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:14 PM

Thanks! I wish I'd been there to see it, but I was in Keller, Southlake, Hurst, downtown Dallas and Forth Worth. We will probably rent for the first 6 months. We have a $400,000 home here (midwest) that we will need to sell. Once we have it sold, then we'll be looking in about the same price range. Glad to know you all loved it!! We had heard that the schools were top notch, so that is encouraging!

Old 10-06-2010, 01:39 PM

we're in the same boat, $400k house to sell. Thing about Texas to keep in mind is the property taxes, they're higher. It forced us to look at houses a little cheaper. But if $400k is your budget you can get a beauty in FM for that price. Look at Bridlewood, it's one of the better neighborhoods in FM.

Post back once you visit let us know your thoughts.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:45 PM

11 posts, read 48,259 times
We just moved to Flower Mound for its highly rated schools, home prices, and family friendly vibe. It has these things and overall it has been satisfactory, but I have some serious concerns. First, its leadership - the town council and town manager - have rolled over in granting permits to natural gas drillers who will be using a process called fracking. If you aren't aware of this, do some research before you buy. The processes of fracking are shrouded in secrecy and are almost totally unregulated, and explosions, leaks, and deaths occur with regularity on a national basis. Wells will soon be dug very close (500ft) to some residences and exemplary schools in south FM. I don't understand why the town leadership would grant variances so easily except that some are known to stand to profit by the advancement of drilling, or that they simply lack the backbone or understanding of whom they should be serving. The town newsletter recently published a laughable defense of what I feel have been indefensible actions by the council, manager, and oil and gas board of appeals. What is most worrisome is that these same individuals are making the decisions that will affect other matters related to quality of life and future direction of the town.

Second, the town plan or vision seems to lack just that. There is a lot of road construction going on and lots of land left to be developed, however little rhyme or reason in how this development is occurring. For example, there are multiple road construction projects (at least 3 major ones) going on at the same time which has greatly increased congestion. Why not finish one project quickly and then move on to the next rather than move along slowly with multiple projects at once? I rarely see a work crew moving any dirt in the morning or early evening or weekend. Sure this will eventually all be completed and a closed chapter, but the lack of common sense is again troubling...

There is little access to major highways and no prospect of getting good public transit in this area. With more development that is high density in its future, the conveniences of a smaller suburban community will be lost. There will be 4 lane main roads cutting through the town carrying high traffic volume. In other words, FM will turn into Plano and North Dallas except it will lack Plano's tax base and access to highways and public transportation such as it is in Plano.

Our neighborhood some ethnic diversity, has lots of kids, and has been very nice so far. Friendly if sort of insular neighbors. People work hard here like everywhere I guess. The schools, while highly rated, are very state test focused, and have been inconsistent about keeping parents informed about what is happening in class. We like one teacher but dislike the other teacher of our children, as she just mails it in. Shopping in the area is poor except for groceries. There is no small independent hardware store, no auto parts store, and no store for personal care and household products (eg. target, walmart, costco, kmart) and you must go to other communities for most of those needs, such as Lewisville and Grapevine. The dining options are limited. There is a Mooyah which sucks, but no Five Guys which rules. FM is convenient to the airport (DFW not Love field) and the airport noise is not significant. The community activity center has awesome pools, and the library is quite nice.

You might also look at Coppell and Southlake in addition to FM.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungcisco View Post
We just moved to Flower Mound for its highly rated schools, home prices, and family friendly vibe. It has these things and overall it has been satisfactory, but I have some serious concerns. First, its leadership - the town council and town manager - have rolled over in granting permits to natural gas drillers who will be using a process called fracking. If you aren't aware of this, do some research before you buy. The processes of fracking are shrouded in secrecy and are almost totally unregulated, and explosions, leaks, and deaths occur with regularity on a national basis. Wells will soon be dug very close (500ft) to some residences and exemplary schools in south FM. I don't understand why the town leadership would grant variances so easily except that some are known to stand to profit by the advancement of drilling, or that they simply lack the backbone or understanding of whom they should be serving. The town newsletter recently published a laughable defense of what I feel have been indefensible actions by the council, manager, and oil and gas board of appeals. What is most worrisome is that these same individuals are making the decisions that will affect other matters related to quality of life and future direction of the town.

Second, the town plan or vision seems to lack just that. There is a lot of road construction going on and lots of land left to be developed, however little rhyme or reason in how this development is occurring. For example, there are multiple road construction projects (at least 3 major ones) going on at the same time which has greatly increased congestion. Why not finish one project quickly and then move on to the next rather than move along slowly with multiple projects at once? I rarely see a work crew moving any dirt in the morning or early evening or weekend. Sure this will eventually all be completed and a closed chapter, but the lack of common sense is again troubling...

There is little access to major highways and no prospect of getting good public transit in this area. With more development that is high density in its future, the conveniences of a smaller suburban community will be lost. There will be 4 lane main roads cutting through the town carrying high traffic volume. In other words, FM will turn into Plano and North Dallas except it will lack Plano's tax base and access to highways and public transportation such as it is in Plano.

Our neighborhood some ethnic diversity, has lots of kids, and has been very nice so far. Friendly if sort of insular neighbors. People work hard here like everywhere I guess. The schools, while highly rated, are very state test focused, and have been inconsistent about keeping parents informed about what is happening in class. We like one teacher but dislike the other teacher of our children, as she just mails it in. Shopping in the area is poor except for groceries. There is no small independent hardware store, no auto parts store, and no store for personal care and household products (eg. target, walmart, costco, kmart) and you must go to other communities for most of those needs, such as Lewisville and Grapevine. The dining options are limited. There is a Mooyah which sucks, but no Five Guys which rules. FM is convenient to the airport (DFW not Love field) and the airport noise is not significant. The community activity center has awesome pools, and the library is quite nice.

You might also look at Coppell and Southlake in addition to FM.
Which neighborhood are you in?

I can't comment much on the gas drilling, I haven't looked deeply into it yet. I basically thought most if not all the towns around there were subject to it, I don't think FM Town Manager is anymore guilty than any of the other towns where drilling is allowed. It's a sad fact some have to deal with, but there are neighboorhoods where the drilling is not an issue.

But as far as the town planning, I might agree with you in some respects others not. Parker Square is a decent enough example of a failed retail effort that just doesn't look to have panned out for the town. Not sure why, it was quite nice. But what i don't understand is how/why they are trying to get the Riverwalk project (http://www.flower-mound.com/riverwalk/ - broken link) completed when PS didn't really pan-out as planned. Riverwalk looks fabulous, probably moreso in theory in today's economy, but leaves me wondering.

Lastly I am not sure how you can say they aren't protecting that small town feel when they just recently past a two acre zoning rule for new development. Correct me if I am wrong here, but that seems like a nice start to protecting the town from future development.

The other towns you mentioned are NOT as affordable as FM. Particularly Southlake, where we have family and stay when we come to Dallas. And Coppell is very nice ( i hear) but the lot sizes stink all around. Unless you want to have a to make a decision between having a pool and having a yard, Coppell is out of the question.

FM strikes a very nice balance between upscale and middle class. I thought the town had a much more subdued feel than Southlake, less bustle-which I prefer.

To the origianl poster, one of the best spots to end up in FM is west of Long Prairie road and north of south FM. You might call the town and find out if there will be drilling near Bridlewood and Wellington neighborhoods, since those will have alot of homes in your price point.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:27 PM

Lots of good information here on the gas drilling. A map too, which from what i can see isolates most of it to south FM..But maybe I reading it wrong.

Town of Flower Mound, Texas - Environmental Resources (http://www.flower-mound.com/env_resources/env_resources_ong.php - broken link)

Old 10-06-2010, 07:28 PM

i had heard about the drilling. hmmm... if my husband works on long praire road, what other suburbs are close enough that he won't have a serious commute. what about highland village? keller? trophy club? frisco? are they too far??

Old 10-06-2010, 07:38 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Grapevine is close enough. Trophy Club is on the wrong side of Lake Grapevine and would be a LONG commute, and Keller is even further away. Frisco is totally out of the question.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:41 PM

473 posts, read 1,199,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola9096 View Post
Thanks!!
You can rent a house or an apartment. There is only one apartment complex in Flower Mound. There are lots of kids’ friendly sub-divisions and it’s a great place for a family living with some top notch exemplary schools.
Nearby Towns with reasonable commute to consider are Lewisville, Highland Village, Coppell, Grapevine or Southlake but of all these places personally I would rate FM schools better than the others especially in academics. In terms of property prices except Southlake you can get a pretty good house in your price range. Property taxes in FM (Denton County) are one of the lowest in DFW area. I too moved from Mid West so even these lowest property taxes were a shock to me. Be prepared for high property taxes, energy and insurance costs in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas