Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:52 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,823,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola9096 View Post
i had heard about the drilling. hmmm... if my husband works on long praire road, what other suburbs are close enough that he won't have a serious commute. what about highland village? keller? trophy club? frisco? are they too far??
I guess you could sneak around the lake from Kellar, or Trophy Club although you might have the Ft Worth commuting crowd to contend with. I looked at both of these towns, they were alright..I wasn't that taken with Kellar quite honestly. Some parts were decent, but it was rather average to me..TC was nice, nice new school and some nice neighborhoods. Ironically I liked the older neighborhoods in TC. But overall either of these towns could be an option, but you have better options closer.

Going directly west of FM you could look at Argyle (Lantana in particular) is supposed to be nice. Going east Coppell, and Grapevine (Southwest) are options. But out of all of them I think you will find FM is your best option. Highland Village running a close second.

Frisco would be an awful commute, and so would Plano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 08:39 PM

11,872 posts, read 26,939,309 times
There's no way to "sneak around the lake." It's a long drive no matter which way you go.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:20 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,568,285 times
Quote:
We will probably rent for the first 6 months. We have a $400,000 home here (midwest) that we will need to sell. Once we have it sold, then we'll be looking in about the same price range.
You can do Flower Mound easily on this budget--check out Wellington and Bridlewood. Also the neighborhoods off McKamy Creek. In Wellington your children can go to exemplary schools K-12 within a mile of your home.

Grapevine is worth looking into (although I would argue Flower Mounds schools are a little better and it will add to a commute that doesn't need to be more than 5-10 minutes) and Highland Village is very nice too.

If you want more land, check out Double Oak and west Flower Mound. Be careful of the school boundaries out that way, though.

I really don't see a point into looking at Southlake, Keller, or Trophy Club--more expensive, or just too far out. Lantana is nice, but again, far away from everything and I think the taxes are supposed to be killer

Old 10-06-2010, 10:32 PM

51 posts, read 218,179 times
We too lived in the midwest for half a decade and always wanted to hightail out but did not get a chance until a few months ago when my husband got a job that he can work from home. We chose TX, and our first stop was Flower Mound. We checked out the only apartment complex in Flower Mound, but they didn't have a 1st fl unit available. So we ended up renting in Grapevine by the mall, which is a short distance from FM boarder.

We have been looking at houses in Keller, Southlake, Grapevine, Frisco, West Plano; and we always come back to FM because of lower taxes, exemplary schools, and bigger lot size. While FM doesn't have a big box store, Costco and Walmart in Lewisville are only a few miles away if you live on the south east side. Yes, the drillings concern us, and we would have try to avoid the drill sites when we buy a house. We like neither Wellington or Bridlewood because of a high HOA. Homes in Wellington seem to be close to each other just like those in Frisco and Plano.

Good luck with the move. You won't be disappointed when you get out of the midwest.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:16 AM

473 posts, read 1,201,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtraveler23 View Post
We too lived in the midwest for half a decade and always wanted to hightail out but did not get a chance until a few months ago when my husband got a job that he can work from home. We chose TX, and our first stop was Flower Mound. We checked out the only apartment complex in Flower Mound, but they didn't have a 1st fl unit available. So we ended up renting in Grapevine by the mall, which is a short distance from FM boarder.

We have been looking at houses in Keller, Southlake, Grapevine, Frisco, West Plano; and we always come back to FM because of lower taxes, exemplary schools, and bigger lot size. While FM doesn't have a big box store, Costco and Walmart in Lewisville are only a few miles away if you live on the south east side. Yes, the drillings concern us, and we would have try to avoid the drill sites when we buy a house. We like neither Wellington or Bridlewood because of a high HOA. Homes in Wellington seem to be close to each other just like those in Frisco and Plano.

Good luck with the move. You won't be disappointed when you get out of the midwest.
You should not be overly concerned on drilling since FM has one of the strongest ordinances and is further strengthening them. Cities like Coppell, Fort Worth, Arlington, Keller, Bedford, Grapevine (just to name a few) also have drilling just like a lot of places in DFW area but you never heard of it because FM residents are very vocal about environment and quality of life.
Likewise you have gas pipelines running across all towns in DFW and different parts of the country but they follow best practices. Just stay from them like any other industrial unit.

Have a look at this link where almost 20 Subdivisions in Coppell collectively bargained with the drillers. Also Coppell ISD has leased 150+ acres of their school land for gas drilling.

Coppell Westside Gas Coalition (http://dpkarwoski.com/cwgc - broken link)

Fort Worth has 1700+ gas wells. There is a gas well adjacent to Rooms to go near Grapevine mall. DFW airport have leased hundreds of acres of their land for gas drilling. XTO Energy has recently filed a request to drill up to 27 gas wells in Southlake.This will include a drilling site just very near to Grapevine high school. Even Dallas city is considering some gas wells.

In comparison, Flower Mound has a huge area with lot of green agricultural land and has JUST 33 gas wells as of date. Currently there is a moratarium on new permits until the ordinances are re-written again to make them more stringent and follow best practices. Other Towns are looking at FM as a model Town for such ordinances.

Regarding HOA fees try comparing the HOA fees and facilities of any SD in Coppell or Valley Ranch Vs Wellington in FM and you will find the value of a HOA.
My friend in VR pays $ 450 per year and they HAVE NO facilities Vs $ 640 fees/ year in Wellington with the following facilities:

Fitness Center
Biking & Hiking Trails
6 lighted Tennis courts
2 Swimming Pools
Basketball & Volleyball Courts
Clubhouse
Lots of free fitness, yoga and dance classes
Kids Playground

Personally I wish we could have a Costco or Sams Club or a mall but there have been stiff opposition to retain the character of the Town. Highland Village Shopping Center, Grapevine mall and other malls are just couple of miles.

Last edited by adixyz; 10-07-2010 at 06:39 AM..

Old 10-07-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adixyz View Post
Personally I wish we could have a Costco or Sams Club or a mall but there have been stiff opposition to retain the character of the Town. Highland Village Shopping Center, Grapevine mall and other malls are just couple of miles.
Adixyz, good information here for us prospective FMers..Question for you, whats you thought on the Riverwalk project? Yey or Ney? I talked to the town planner and seemed to think the next two years will be critical years for that project, and he was optimistic about it being completed as planned.

That would give you alot of local shopping no?

Old 10-07-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtraveler23 View Post

WT, we're in a similar position. We want out of the NorthEast, and my wife can be 100% remote if we move. whereas now she is only 1 day a week from home. Which is almost an incentive to go sooner than later since it would eliminate her current commute. I would need to find a job, which is not easy from here, and also need to sell a house. I am however interested to hearing your experience with renting etc since it sounds similar to our strategy. Do you have children? PM me if you don't mind.

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2010, 03:51 PM

11 posts, read 48,376 times
Adixyz you are seriously misinformed about the current status of drilling in FM. The so-called strong ordinances have been undermined because every variance sought by the drilling companies has been granted. This is detailed in the last bulletin sent out by the town a week or 2 ago. The Dallas Morning News and the Cross-Timbers Gazette also report that the last attempt by citizens to halt the drilling via a lawsuit was rejected by the judge. There is no longer a moratorium. The variances to the celebrated ordinances were granted in short order, the permits have been issued, and construction will start soon. Drilling in Coppell is limited to the far western side in mostly industrial / warehouse areas close to 121 and grapevine. Drilling exists in other communities. Some communities have found significant problems brought about by drilling.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungcisco View Post
Adixyz you are seriously misinformed about the current status of drilling in FM. The so-called strong ordinances have been undermined because every variance sought by the drilling companies has been granted. This is detailed in the last bulletin sent out by the town a week or 2 ago. The Dallas Morning News and the Cross-Timbers Gazette also report that the last attempt by citizens to halt the drilling via a lawsuit was rejected by the judge. There is no longer a moratorium. The variances to the celebrated ordinances were granted in short order, the permits have been issued, and construction will start soon. Drilling in Coppell is limited to the far western side in mostly industrial / warehouse areas close to 121 and grapevine. Drilling exists in other communities. Some communities have found significant problems brought about by drilling.

I would agree that the "strongest drilling ordinance" in the DFW area doesn't amount to much if they grant variances at the drop of a hat.

Just stay in the fight, it's all you can do.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:28 PM

473 posts, read 1,201,321 times
bbungcisco @ There IS a moratorium for new applications while a 12 member board is currently reviewing the ordinances.I will DM you the Town agenda when this moratorium was considered/ approved .To give you an example in FM even with the current ordinance you cannot drill within 1000 ft of public property or a residence without a variance whereas in some cities you can go upto 300 ft. In FM no injection wells are allowed compared to other cities who does. The objective of the new 12 member board is to recommend better practices and make the ordinances further stronger. The board consists of a variety of folks from ordinary residents, mineral right owners and industry experts. If you need more information please DM me and I can inform you how the grass root movement led to the formation of this 12 member advisory board.
The one you are mentioning on Hilliard Site was applied a day before the moratorium was approved.So legally it fell outside the purview of moratorium and since it met all the town's ordinances without any variances, it was approved by the Town with stiff opposition from public. Southlake is currently going through a similar process on an application submitted by a gas company. Both FM and Southlake have strong ordinances.
I think you are missing the point here - It worth to live in a Town whose residents are proactively involved on the quality of life and Town's decision making. There are pro and anti drilling groups in FM just like any other cities but in FM the anti drilling group is very vocal and active. You will find them in news constantly. Is that good, I will say yes- at least they keep a check on the companies and the Town as well. However you have to take all these news with a grain of salt and rationally differetiate between facts and overreaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas