Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:37 PM

473 posts, read 1,200,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Adixyz, good information here for us prospective FMers..Question for you, whats you thought on the Riverwalk project? Yey or Ney? I talked to the town planner and seemed to think the next two years will be critical years for that project, and he was optimistic about it being completed as planned.

That would give you alot of local shopping no?
The last I heard is its back on the agenda .The current Town council favors Mixed used development. The development – bounded by FM1171, FM2499 and Morriss Road – will be similar to Southlake Town Square. It will have shops, restaurants, commercial businesses, condos and apartments. I am optimistic about this project getting approved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 11:59 AM

32 posts, read 52,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adixyz View Post
bbungcisco @ There IS a moratorium for new applications while a 12 member board is currently reviewing the ordinances.I will DM you the Town agenda when this moratorium was considered/ approved .To give you an example in FM even with the current ordinance you cannot drill within 1000 ft of public property or a residence without a variance whereas in some cities you can go upto 300 ft. In FM no injection wells are allowed compared to other cities who does. The objective of the new 12 member board is to recommend better practices and make the ordinances further stronger. The board consists of a variety of folks from ordinary residents, mineral right owners and industry experts. If you need more information please DM me and I can inform you how the grass root movement led to the formation of this 12 member advisory board.
The one you are mentioning on Hilliard Site was applied a day before the moratorium was approved.So legally it fell outside the purview of moratorium and since it met all the town's ordinances without any variances, it was approved by the Town with stiff opposition from public. Southlake is currently going through a similar process on an application submitted by a gas company. Both FM and Southlake have strong ordinances.
I think you are missing the point here - It worth to live in a Town whose residents are proactively involved on the quality of life and Town's decision making. There are pro and anti drilling groups in FM just like any other cities but in FM the anti drilling group is very vocal and active. You will find them in news constantly. Is that good, I will say yes- at least they keep a check on the companies and the Town as well. However you have to take all these news with a grain of salt and rationally differetiate between facts and overreaction.
This and everything adixyz said. I have lived in North Texas for 16 years (originally from the Northeast). We moved to FM a year ago and we have never seen a town with more vocal citizens. The schools are great, the people are great, and the kids are so nice! My children are so happy. The council had to "roll-over" on the Hillard site based on exactly what this post said. Drilling is going on all over the area...

FM is great. The best decision we ever made was to move our family to this town. Just do your own homework and don't weigh too heavily on what you read on the Internet. You will always get differing opinions no matter how great/not so great a town is. We spent so much time in FM BEFORE we bought a house here that I think people we "know" in restaurants and grocery stores think we have lived here for years.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:20 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,822,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caicai View Post
This and everything adixyz said. I have lived in North Texas for 16 years (originally from the Northeast). We moved to FM a year ago and we have never seen a town with more vocal citizens. The schools are great, the people are great, and the kids are so nice! My children are so happy. The council had to "roll-over" on the Hillard site based on exactly what this post said. Drilling is going on all over the area...

FM is great. The best decision we ever made was to move our family to this town. Just do your own homework and don't weigh too heavily on what you read on the Internet. You will always get differing opinions no matter how great/not so great a town is. We spent so much time in FM BEFORE we bought a house here that I think people we "know" in restaurants and grocery stores think we have lived here for years.

This is such great information..You just made my wife so happy! Thanks for reassuring us we're headed in the right direction..We live in the NE now and are formulating a strategy to get to FM in the next year or two.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:43 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,152,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adixyz View Post
You can rent a house or an apartment. There is only one apartment complex in Flower Mound. There are lots of kids’ friendly sub-divisions and it’s a great place for a family living with some top notch exemplary schools.
Nearby Towns with reasonable commute to consider are Lewisville, Highland Village, Coppell, Grapevine or Southlake but of all these places personally I would rate FM schools better than the others especially in academics. In terms of property prices except Southlake you can get a pretty good house in your price range. Property taxes in FM (Denton County) are one of the lowest in DFW area. I too moved from Mid West so even these lowest property taxes were a shock to me. Be prepared for high property taxes, energy and insurance costs in Texas.
Not true. There are two apartment complexes in Flower Mound and they are both nice. I don't know what everyone is complaining about but I really like this town. I think there are good restaurants, plenty of shopping areas close by and the schools are fantastic. I have lived in six states now and many different cities and by far this is one of the nicest places I have lived.

I am not sure about the oil drilling but with the calaber of this city I would highly question why anyone would allow this in the city...

Old 01-18-2021, 09:42 PM

12 posts, read 22,103 times
Hi Lola9096,

I just found your post while I was looking to find more information on FM and Lewisville for myself.
Can I ask you if you ended up moving to FM, and if you do what are yout thoughts on it.

Thank you,

Old 01-24-2021, 07:24 PM

537 posts, read 452,327 times
Flower Mound is a good suburb. I would prefer it over Lewisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas