Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 01:36 PM

613 posts, read 1,055,854 times

Advertisements

I just moved here from boston and rented for 2 months before I settled on a house in Rowlett. I like the area but for my job I kinda had to buy faster than I wanted too. Im single with no kids so schools arent that important but could I get any feed back on the area. Is it a good community? Is it a good place for someone single? Anything bad about the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 02:01 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,539,304 times
Well I live in Rowlett and love it, others on here bash it. Maybe because it not as perfect as Frisco, McKinney or Rockwall. But I think we are just fine. You rarely hear anything about Rowlett on the news, its a safe nice place.

Great schools (when you have kids), small town feel, constructions is the only PITA I can give you. People complain about high water bills and high taxes...but I see not big differeance from here to there. Love the area, glad to have you in the hood

Old 09-20-2010, 03:02 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,921,775 times
I do know singles in Rowlett. Most of them are divorced parents that stayed there to keep their kids in the same house/schools. Some have connected w/ other single parents in the area thru dating services. Other than that unless you have kids in activities in the area you are not going to be bumping into too many singles around town. If you want to go out and just hang out and have a drink and want to meet other people then head over to Garland in Firewheel (the bars in the restaurants around here are usually packed most nights) or The Harbor in Rockwall. It will be hanging out in the restaurant bars but there are other singles there that happen to live in "the burbs" and like it and don't want to live right by all the "action" of an urban area.

If you don't have plans for tonight and it is Monday Night Football I'd say head to Buffalo Wild Wings on 190 in Garland or Houlihans up at Firewheel Town Center. TGIFriday's is sometimes busy and sometimes dead. BWW and Houlihan's should be PACKED tonight for the football game.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:45 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,271,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
Great schools (when you have kids), small town feel, constructions is the only PITA I can give you. People complain about high water bills and high taxes...
The city just released their budget and there is no increase in taxes. This makes it 6 years in a row with no increase...

The city of Dallas on the other hand have a proposed tax hike.

Naima

Old 09-20-2010, 04:39 PM

207 posts, read 507,081 times
we just moved here too and love it so far! seems like a great, safe area, and from what i hear, the schools in the area are really good. The two elementaries by us have exemplary status. u never hear about rowlett in the news and u can look at the police report online for all the calls they have received and there are rarely any calls past 1 am! thats pretty good to me!

Old 09-20-2010, 06:59 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,823,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
I just moved here from boston and rented for 2 months before I settled on a house in Rowlett. I like the area but for my job I kinda had to buy faster than I wanted too. Im single with no kids so schools arent that important but could I get any feed back on the area. Is it a good community? Is it a good place for someone single? Anything bad about the area?

Steve, I am from Boston too, looking to relo down there with my family..Let me know any tips you used to look for work etc..I visited recently, only the NW Dallas suburbs, and loved it down there. Rowlett seems nice! Good luck there!

Old 09-20-2010, 08:11 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,230,086 times
A good friend of mine, his wife and kids live in Rowlett. I really like their house and it's in a pretty nice neighborhood and is about $200k range as far as price. They're in the Waterview development. My wife and I looked in there and found some houses we liked. We decided against moving out that way because of the commute for us.

Other than that, I don't know too much about the area. My friend and his family are happy.

Edit: We usually meet up with friends at the Flying Saucer in Garland at Lake Ray Hubbard. There are a couple of restaurant/bars right there on the water.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:33 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,336,843 times
Ay de mi!! You bought a house without researching the area at all?

Rowlett is a family-friendly eastern suburb. Very few singles, especially the never-been-married, no kids kind of singles.

Get out your GPS and get used to driving into Dallas/Addison for nightlife. Bring LOTS of cab $$$.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:42 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,335,054 times
I think Rowlett is fine for families but if you're hoping to meet other singles...I think you may be disappointed.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:23 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,602,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
The city just released their budget and there is no increase in taxes. This makes it 6 years in a row with no increase...

The city of Dallas on the other hand have a proposed tax hike.

Naima
Ok, I have to put the record straight. The statement above makes it sound like property taxes in Dallas are higher than Rowlett. This is not true.

Dallas tax rate for 2009 = .7479%
Rowlett tax rate for 2009 = .7471%

The big difference is that Dallas gives a 20% break to homesteaders; Rowlett only gives 1%. I'd imagine this is where the complaints come from.

If you own and live in a $200K home in Dallas, you'll be paying $1,198.64 with the homestead exemption; in Rowlett, that'd be $1,479.26.

If Dallas does raise it's rate to .7970, which is what's proposed, the same $200K home would have a city tax bill of $1,275.20. Even with a tax increase, Dallas property taxes are still 13.8% lower than Rowlett.

Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas