Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 12:26 AM

2 posts, read 6,347 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I am looking to move from oregon to texas in the dallas area. I took a trip down there and like the rowlett, rockwall area. Grapevine and lewisville traffic was a nightmare so I wont go there. Any opinions. I am a bass fishing guy so i want to be close to east texas lakes but I was raised in california's bay area so I like a little culture and night life too. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 05:26 AM

3,080 posts, read 8,430,031 times
Lake Ray Hubbard (around the areas you noted) is possibly one of the better fishing spots in the area. From there you can truck your boat to other lakes, if desired, such as Lake Texoma (North on the Texas and Oklahoma border) which has killer bass fishing. The same area you like is closer to other good lakes to the East of the Dallas area as well.

As for the nightlife, Rockwall has some but pales in comparison to points farther West, such as Dallas. But you have I30 that can take you to Dallas fairly quickly.

Not sure if I would choose Rowlett as a spot though if you plan to buy a home. Rowlett has worked itself in a corner by not having a large commercial base for taxes. I've been hearing various things regarding this and many homeowners appear to be unhappy providing the lions share of tax support as a result. You can compare tax rates and information on the local taxing WEB sites:

Dallas Central Appraisal District
Welcome to the Collin Central Appraisal District
Rockwall Central Appraisal District
www.tarrantcounty.com/etax
TaxNetUSA - TX : Denton : Search
Kaufman County Appraisal District

Do a property search using the locally available MLS access at publicaccessmls for the various areas and compare tax rates.

I will agree with you regarding the Grapevine and Lewisville traffic issues and it won't become any better any time soon.

Are you going to be working anywhere close to the Rockwall or Rowlett areas? I'm sure you're used to traffic but even those areas can have traffic issues, depending where you need to get to.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:38 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,622,384 times
City of Rowlett taxes are essentially the same rate as the city of Dallas, but we are in the top 20% or so when compared to other cities in Dallas County (a small part of Rowlett is in Rockwall County). But the parts in Dallas County are also in the Garland school district, where tax rates are lower than many surrounding cities. So it's pretty much a wash, but overall we're probably in the top half. If you want a city with a huge industrial base, move to Garland and save $100 a year or so.

Personally, I love living in Rowlett. We are one block from the lake, and have fewer traffic problems than Rockwall, yet we can be to most of the upscale retail and restaurants there in 10 minutes or less.

Last edited by ETex2; 11-07-2009 at 10:04 AM..

Old 11-08-2009, 07:39 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,052,162 times
If your a bass fisherman you must go to Lake Fork. It is a world famous for bass fishing. Rockwall sounds like a great match for you but my first question would be were is job located. Commute time needs to be a part of every "where should I move" discussion.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:06 AM

16 posts, read 70,359 times
We love living in Rowlett. It's easily accessible to 30 and 190. Plus it's pretty darn cheap too. Are you looking to lease or buy? We live in Waterview and like it alot.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:55 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,537,130 times
I love living in Rowlett as well, our taxes are not of the charts as some people may think. Rowlett is growing but still has it's small town feel. I wouldn't want to move any other place. So come on down and enjoy Rowlett.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
The first thing you need to consider is your job location: regardless of where you live, traffic can be a nightmere..Yes, in Rowlett as well as Plano, Flower Mound, etc...After you know where you will be working, then decide on what area will best meet your needs. As for fishing, it doesn't make much difference where you live int metro area, fishing won't be far away.

Nita

Old 11-11-2009, 03:58 PM

4 posts, read 15,532 times
Does Rowlett have it's own school district or do the kids go to school in Rockwall?

Old 11-11-2009, 04:03 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,479,615 times
Rowlett High is part of Garland ISD. But I think part of Rowlett feeds into Rockwall ISD.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:07 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,906,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Bound 3 View Post
Does Rowlett have it's own school district or do the kids go to school in Rockwall?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Rowlett High is part of Garland ISD. But I think part of Rowlett feeds into Rockwall ISD.
No, Rowlett does not have their own school district. The majority of the City of Rowlett is within Dallas County. A smaller portion is in Rockwall County. The portion of the city that is in Dallas County is a part of the Garland ISD. The portion that lies in Rockwall County is part of the Rockall ISD. The dividing line for Dallas/Rockwall Counties is Dalrock Road (hence, Dallas - Rockwall).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas