Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 09:09 AM

9,846 posts, read 4,630,527 times

Advertisements

A drunk driver in New Jersey was charged with manslaughter after driving 90 mph at night with no headlights on after she crashed into a car and killed a 17 year old.

https://www.nj.com/burlington/2022/0...utor-says.html

RIP

I thought most drunk drivers tended to drive slow and sloppy. Doesn't matter . Manslaughter is too lite for this selfish pos. May she rot and be used as another example of why not to drink/drug & drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 10:23 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Bars invite people to drink and drive. The only reason we haven't shut them all down is because drinkers like the bars.

I'm so tired of hearing about senseless deaths like this, while American bars continue to serve drinks to patrons who long ago reached their capacity.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:34 AM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
It's infuriating that the drunkards frequently seem to be the ones walking away from these crashes alive

Old 01-21-2022, 10:38 AM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Bars invite people to drink and drive. The only reason we haven't shut them all down is because drinkers like the bars.

I'm so tired of hearing about senseless deaths like this, while American bars continue to serve drinks to patrons who long ago reached their capacity.
You do bring up a good point. But I feel like all shutting down bars would do is open up substantial underground markets where things are even less regulated. At least in the case of bars, you do have some responsible bartenders who will stop serving clearly intoxicated individuals.

It's tough, though, as many people don't drive to bars, but take public transportation, ride shares, walk, etc. But that doesn't stop them from later getting into a vehicle all the same. And it wouldn't stop an intoxicated person who got drunk at home from doing the same. All of this is to say that I'm not convinced that shutting down bars would do anything, and could possibly make matters worse.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:48 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
Don't worry the bar will be sued for over serving her

Old 01-21-2022, 12:20 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
You do bring up a good point. But I feel like all shutting down bars would do is open up substantial underground markets where things are even less regulated. At least in the case of bars, you do have some responsible bartenders who will stop serving clearly intoxicated individuals.

It's tough, though, as many people don't drive to bars, but take public transportation, ride shares, walk, etc. But that doesn't stop them from later getting into a vehicle all the same. And it wouldn't stop an intoxicated person who got drunk at home from doing the same. All of this is to say that I'm not convinced that shutting down bars would do anything, and could possibly make matters worse.
I agree with that too, prospect. Also, I don't want our government stepping in and making bars (or alcohol) illegal. It's frustrating that so many people abuse the privilege to socialize responsibly in a bar. Doing so shouldn't put other people at risk on the road.

I don't think there is an answer to this other than personal responsibility.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:48 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,165,173 times
We've already tried closing all the bars. Remember Prohibition? Didn't work. Didn't take.

Old 01-21-2022, 01:11 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,516,076 times
Another Raiders player?

Old 01-21-2022, 01:22 PM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times
I have no sympathy whatsoever for the drunks who do this. If they can figure out how to get the money to spend drinking in a bar (not cheap!) then they can figure out how to get an Uber or Lyft to/from the bar.

You do not drive to a bar, sit down and pour drinks down your throat without realizing that you are going to be wasted by the time it's time to go home.

What this woman did to that innocent girl is unforgivable.

Old 01-21-2022, 01:27 PM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

These days almost everyone either has a designated driver or takes Lyft/Uber. There is absolutely no excuse for driving drunk. None. Zero.

There is nothing wrong with going downtown and doing some barhopping. If you're old enough to drink then you are old enough to plan for how you are going to get back home safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events