Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 03:01 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,612,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I actually feel that way not about bars, but about sporting events. Every football game, every baseball game, every basketball or hockey game, has tens of thousands of people drinking for several hours and then driving home. Really, any cop could just sit outside the stadium parking lot and pull people over and catch people over the limit. But they are not going to do that because that revenue from the beer sales is too big to mess with. And the city of course gets tons of tax revenue from it.

At Phillies games, they used to sell hotdogs and other food in the stands. The guy will just walk up and down the stairs yelling “hotdogs get your hotdog.” Several years ago when our new stadium was built, it changed. Now the only thing they sell in the stands is beer. Everything else you have to get up and go stand in line for. But they will deliver you as many beers as you want without having to move.
I do wonder about that. Apparently the hotdog guy was making too much money on his own, so they went corporate with the sales probably. I don't get it either. I've also seen the hotdog guys disappearing from the home improvement stores near me. I've only bought one once, but they always appeared busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Before covid watching the oceanfront bars empty out at 2AM was some of the best entertainment here. Tons of police ready and waiting. Sadly some drunks still get away.
My friends, family and I always have a DD or DW even if it's someone we call. I like to have fun but I'm not willing to die or kill someone else. It makes me mad that there are so many selfish people that don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 03:33 PM

17,379 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
I drove drunk a couple nights a week for 24 years, never had a problem. It's a skill. Most accidents aren't caused by drunk drivers, they're caused by traveling high speed with no skills, texting, impatience and taking unnecessary risks. Most men can drink a six-pack and get home just fine. It all depends on the individual.
You better hope that you never have an accident while you're driving drunk because you will be charged with DUI whether you were the one who caused the accident or not.

One fender bender could wind up costing you big time. Uber is way cheaper.

Old 01-22-2022, 06:47 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
And it wouldn't stop an intoxicated person who got drunk at home from doing the same.
Sure it would,they're already home...where else are they going to want to go? I think shutting down the bars is a great idea.

Old 01-22-2022, 07:27 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
Yeah, lucky I didn't get pulled over for something unrelated.
I mean… I guess I KIND of agree with you, as “drunk” is defined as over the limit, which is 0.08? I can assure you I am in no way drunk after two Coors Lights or a glass of wine… But a limit has to be imposed somewhere, and those in power decided that 0.08 should keep people in check… SHOULD.
Years ago, I learned the hard way. Got pulled over for sitting in a turning lane for too long (I was lost and looking at my google maps…) Sure enough, I smelled like alcohol, and so I had a fun 8 hours in the drunk tank, along with astronomical court and attorney fees, etc. The cops even said I in no way sounded drunk, as we had a casual conversation in the car on the way to the station.

LUCKILY, this was how I learned my lesson, as opposed to the alternative of “I know I can drive ‘drunk,’ I’m fine,” and have something more tragic occur…

When I first started dating my gf, we were going out for the night, and I picked her up in an Uber. She asked “why??” I told her “well, we will both be drinking at some point, right? I’m not risking it.” Took her a bit to really get it, but over time, as we got to know each other better, and she learned more about the chaos that ensued from that one event, and how EASY it is for it to happen to A LOT of people, she gets it.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:17 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I do wonder about that. Apparently the hotdog guy was making too much money on his own, so they went corporate with the sales probably. I don't get it either. I've also seen the hotdog guys disappearing from the home improvement stores near me. I've only bought one once, but they always appeared busy.

The hot dog guys weren’t independent though they were employees. All the food service is from that company Arimark. I don’t know why they stopped selling everything but beer in the stands. It’s probably more profitable. Maybe they want people to go to the snack stands for food so they also buy fries etc. But it does say someytgst they don’t sell even non-alcoholic drinks in the stands. And to me it’s deliberate that they are making it easier for people to buy beer in the stands. Each person probably drinks 2-3x as many than if they had to go stand in line. But it’s trade off of profits to allowing people to get drunk and then drive home.

In Philly the old stadium actually had a little jail for people who get drunk and start fights. The solution of not serving as much beer to patrons was never on the table.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:25 AM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
I can't tell you, how many patients I see that should not drive. They barely talk, all responses delayed. "prescription medication" or else. Yet, they drove to their appointment.

Add to them those, like ones in the video below, that made it to the gas station and, likely, will drive away

https://newtube.app/user/RenaudBe/UQurdD2

Old 01-23-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I can't tell you, how many patients I see that should not drive. They barely talk, all responses delayed. "prescription medication" or else. Yet, they drove to their appointment.

Add to them those, like ones in the video below, that made it to the gas station and, likely, will drive away

https://newtube.app/user/RenaudBe/UQurdD2
We see that even with older patients that aren’t under the influence. We have a patient on dialysis whose blood pressure drops by 40 points whenever he sits up, causing him to get dizzy, but he drive once he went home (we know cause he’s back again after another hospitalization).

Old 01-23-2022, 07:47 AM

979 posts, read 417,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
You better hope that you never have an accident while you're driving drunk because you will be charged with DUI whether you were the one who caused the accident or not.

One fender bender could wind up costing you big time. Uber is way cheaper.
I no longer drink and drive - I now have a wife.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:50 AM

9,870 posts, read 4,641,933 times
I can and can't blame the bar in this. Just like the individual chose to drive to a bar and drink and leave/drive drunk the bartender/s chose to serve a person who was either already drunk or over served them. But without physical clues how is a bartender supposed to know a patron is drunk.

It still comes back to the individual to chose to drink & drive. Yes there is frequently shared responsibility or contributing factors but in the end it's the drunk/driver.

Old 01-23-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
I can and can't blame the bar in this. Just like the individual chose to drive to a bar and drink and leave/drive drunk the bartender/s chose to serve a person who was either already drunk or over served them. But without physical clues how is a bartender supposed to know a patron is drunk.

It still comes back to the individual to chose to drink & drive. Yes there is frequently shared responsibility or contributing factors but in the end it's the drunk/driver.
I don't like to see people blame bartenders. In many bars if they are packed, there is no way to know how much one person is drinking. They might get a different bartender every time they go up, they might be sitting at a table where different people are going up and ordering pitchers, etc. If there are 3 bartenders and 200 people (like many bars play-off weekends) how can they possibly remember how many drinks they gave to each person? Or who they were for. If I was out with my honey, he'd be ordering drinks for me, too. I can guarantee during the Eagles playoff, the bars in Philly and south Jersey were packed to the gills and the people waiting at the bar 3 or 4 deep for the entire 4 hours of the game. The bartenders are just trying to survive the night and working as fast as possible to serve everyone. A lot of people order multiple drinks at once when its like that so they don't have to wait 20 minutes every time, so how would bartender know if they are all for that one person or for him and his friends at a table? Also how could they possibly know who is driving and who is a passenger? If I'm a passenger I should be allowed to do 10 shots if I wanted to. What's too drunk for a passenger?

There also aren't any standards in any state that allows a bartender to uniformly state "you've had too much" to every person. Unless you're causing trouble, no one is going to know if you've had "too much".

I think its ridiculous to expect them to police everyone and keep track of their drinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events